Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 04-15-2012

Cutting Weight?

Well I want to wrestle in the Canton open this upcoming weekend.. Should I cut weight for the tournament? I graduated a few years ago but I'm about 190 right now and can prob make 60 by then.. Will there be anyone at 160 for me to wrestle.. I really wanna wrestle McMurtry or Reel.. Will either of them be there? and Can anyone give me some info on the tournament?
Old 04-15-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

It would be a waste of time to cut weight in the off season at a regular open, especially if you're going to cut 30 lbs... Besides, wrestlers of their caliber generally do not go to tournaments that are not higher quality. I.E. mostly national tournaments. And even if they were there, would you really want to cut 30 lbs and be dead tired wrestling these kind of guys?? I'm not putting you down, just my two cents.
Old 04-28-2012
competed_4_26yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by epwrestler161 View Post
Well I want to wrestle in the Canton open this upcoming weekend.. Should I cut weight for the tournament? I graduated a few years ago but I'm about 190 right now and can prob make 60 by then.. Will there be anyone at 160 for me to wrestle.. I really wanna wrestle McMurtry or Reel.. Will either of them be there? and Can anyone give me some info on the tournament?

30 lbs in 3 weeks ? why why why ? ? ?

If your in GOOD shape at 190, then you do NOT have 30 lbs to lose and if you do it will be dangerous and you'll lose a tremendous amount of muscle mass.
If you are not in good shape or strong at 190, suddenly cutting 30lbs will NOT be some magic of being good at 160. Of course these are the basics that you already know.

Quite honestly, I hope you don't try to lose 30lbs so fast, it doesn't sound right , it will be miserable if not dangerous, and will not result in you being a better wrestler.
Sponsored Links