Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

2018 Midlands

Who can tell me why Midlands is back at the Sears Centre this year? I was so looking forward to it being back at the newly renovated Welsh-Ryan Arena this year. It was a great wrestling venue before the renovation. The post-renovation images that they showed in the Trib last week were amazing.

The Sears Centre was an awful venue. The only thing it had going for it was that it was easier to get to. They gouged you in just about every way possible. Parking for a single round was $20. Tickets for all 3 sessions rivaled an all session pass to NCAAs. To make matters worse, the atmosphere sucked.

Anyone NU insiders know the story here? This isn't a permanent move, is it?
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Who can tell me why Midlands is back at the Sears Centre this year? I was so looking forward to it being back at the newly renovated Welsh-Ryan Arena this year. It was a great wrestling venue before the renovation. The post-renovation images that they showed in the Trib last week were amazing.

The Sears Centre was an awful venue. The only thing it had going for it was that it was easier to get to. They gouged you in just about every way possible. Parking for a single round was $20. Tickets for all 3 sessions rivaled an all session pass to NCAAs. To make matters worse, the atmosphere sucked.

I believe there was a 2 year contract signed with the Sears Center.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post

They decided to move this years to Sears again because they believe its more fan friendly and its a better product with all the mats on 1 floor.Also the college coaches really liked the venue over NW.Not sure if its a permanent move or not but my guess would be yes.Last year when they had to move it the plan at the time was to have it back at NW this year.They never had a 2 year deal.
Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

I was told by Tim Cysewski the following information:

"The Midlands should return to NU next year. They will not have the practice area done till much later this year".
Old 6 Days Ago
Double stud

Sorry I just saw this thread. Not here as much as I used to be.

Dondo is correct.
Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

When they return to NU will the have all the mats in one arena? As a spectator it always sucked to have four mats in the basement because when you went down to watch a match you would miss so much wrestling. The easy access to the Sears Center makes it convenient to attend.
Sponsored Links