Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 01-16-2009
Wrestling Media

Comparing college to high school - Part Three

By Andre’ Morgan
Premiumpreps.com / illinoismatmen.com

While at the NWCA National Duals in Cedar Falls, Iowa, I talked with a few selected Illinois wrestlers that wrestle for various teams around the United States. I became interested in what differences they had noticed in high school and college wrestlers. I am doing a series of feature articles on this subject.

A complete story of all of their answers can be found on premiumpreps.com in the next week but for my friends here at illinoismatmen.com here is a sample of their thoughts.

Albert White - North Iowa Area Community College – signed with Oklahoma State (St. Rita)
4x State Champion, 4x Chicago Catholic League Champ, 4x IKWF Champ, 4x All State, 2x USA Freestyle USA Wrestling Finalist, USA Wrestling Freestyle Champion, 1x JUCO National Champ @ 149

1. What are the differences you have noticed between h.s. and college wrestling?
One of the main differences is defending moves, you have to stay in good position at all times. Strength is obviously a difference too because guys are older and more mature.

2. In what ways do you train different from the way you did in h.s.?
I learned to push myself harder and I learned how to exhaust myself. At the next level you have to work that much harder.

3. Were you prepared for the college level coming out of h.s.?
I was prepared but I had to make adjustments. It is harder to score on these elite wrestlers.

4. Describe the differences in the officiating in college?
In college the officials push the action. The good refs don’t like the feeling out stuff that a lot of high school wrestlers do. A lot of the time you will hear the ref say “Action, Action” or “Let’s get going.”

5. What differences in the team aspect do you notice between h.s. and college?
At the JUCO level some guys care and some don’t. I think it will be a lot different when I get to a four-year school because of the wrestling environment and my teammates will be more into it.

6. How good is Illinois wrestling compared to the wrestlers from other states you face?
I definitely think we are one of the best states. Illinois has come a long way in wrestling and it’s still getting stronger. We have to see if the three classes will make it better. I think that will make it too easy but we will see.

7. Describe balancing the academics and athletics of college versus h.s.?
There is a time to focus on your academics and a time to focus on wrestling. The difference is in college they are stricter on eligibility. I have to go to class and if you miss class that is a lot of information that you may not ever get.

Last edited by admin; 01-16-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links