Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 02-13-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wolves View Post
You don't need to weigh in Friday night.

All sectionals weigh kids in Saturday morning or Friday night.
You'll only need to weigh in once, Saturday morning which would count for Sectionals and Bantam state.
This I don't believe is accurate. All but west sectional has 10 am weigh in times for bantam state competitors. I think sectionals already had started by that time. Ikwf & bantam state hosts need to address this issue in next 10 days cuz I'm guessing majority of kids will now choose 1 or the other. Parents will be extremely upset because no mention of where non sectional wrestlers weigh in. What's worse, the original post about bantam state info is misleading. It insinuates that people can weigh in for sectionals or at sectional sites and that weight would be used or carried over to bantam state. This was interpreted by several people even 8&unders not competing in sectionals would still weigh in there..."on friday." The entire concept of ikwf doesn't allow weigh ins more than 24 hrs in advance is ridiculous. Less than 25% of tournaments this season even had onsite weigh ins, they were phone in... Not that anyone gave inaccurate weights or anything. Future finalist weights carried over from Friday til Sunday in lemont. And now unless your kid is wrestling his or her actual or night time weight, kids will be likely not eating from lunch or light dinner at most til almost lunchtime following day... these are 8 yr olds we are talking about. Expect either sectional #s to be drastically down or bantam state #s drastically down. But both to have dilluted level of competition. People seriously need to reach out to all clubs because there is a lot of misleading info out there and still no mention of kids weigh ins that are not competing in sectionals. Good luck telling some parents they have to make arrangements to either leave sectionals and figure out weigh in scenerios for siblings or not letting their kids eat during sectionals of fear of missing weight for bantam state. Both ikwf and bantam state hosts didn't think about the small but significant details when switching dates. Ikwf still didn't think or consider possibility that some may skip both regionals and sectionals to prepare for bantam state.
Old 02-13-2018
Junior Varsity

I'm guessing participants in both will be less at sectionals and bantam state. I guarentee if parents who already registered their kid for bantam state knew how weigh ins are not being held Friday to carry over for bantam state, a good majority would never have registered their kid for bantam state and would love to have $ back. Nice that this information is more detailed when less than 10 days before regionals. Lucky for hosts they have no refund policy in place. And yes people will choose 1 or the other. Bantam state isn't even remotely "state scenerio anyways w/ 2-6 brackets per weight. 1 issue that won't be the case this year. Best solution is put bantam state after state series like midget state, hold weigh ins on Friday for bantam state because ridiculous date they chose to host it on, or last but future alternative is run state series for all ages.
Old 02-13-2018
Junior Varsity

Can someone post locations for satellite weigh ins for kids not competing in sectionals. Locations that all participants can weigh in at. I'm assuming you dont have to weigh in at your sectional. That would be ridiculous if you are not competing in sectionals.
Old 02-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hc2double View Post
Can someone post locations for satellite weigh ins for kids not competing in sectionals. Locations that all participants can weigh in at. I'm assuming you dont have to weigh in at your sectional. That would be ridiculous if you are not competing in sectionals.
I am hearing Roxana High School will be holding a satellite along with Rochelle and Sterling Newman Central...need to get that confirmed though.
Old 02-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hc2double View Post
Per IKWF rules - All Sectional sites are required to have a Saturday morning weigh in as well as Friday night. Wrestlers participating in the Bantam championships as well as sectionals can weigh in at that Saturday morning time as it is within the 24 hr window. If your wrestler is not participating at sectionals, they can weigh in at the times listed below at the sectional site. This eliminates the need to leave the tournament and is especially helpful if the wrestler has siblings competing at sectionals. There are NO OTHER SATELLITE weigh in sites with the exception of possibly west Chicago as the host site for the west Chicago sectionals declined the option to host the weigh ins. (if a bantam wrestler is competing in the west Chicago sectional, and they weigh in Saturday morning, that weight will be accepted. If there are any additional questions, you may contact Elias Medina at the number provided below. Also a child does not have to miss meals as someone stated earlier. It is up to the parent to choose the proper weight class for their wrestler to compete. There is no penalty for missing the declared weight. Wrestlers will bump up at the scale with no penalty.

Central - Centennial High School 10a- noon

Central Chicago- Mt Carmel High School 10a-noon

North Chicago- Glenbrook South 10a-noon

North- Rochelle High School 10a-noon

South - Highland High School 10a-noon

South Chicago - Site TBD 10a-noon

West Chicago- accepting a satellite weigh in site - Please contact Elias Medina asap if interested. (630) 728-8809

West- Rock Island High School Weigh in for all participants 630-730a
Old 02-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Easy View Post
I am hearing Roxana High School will be holding a satellite along with Rochelle and Sterling Newman Central...need to get that confirmed though.
That would be incorrect. There are no other weigh in sites other than the ones i listed on my post. The only open site is South Chicago as the Sectional host is to be determined at the Sectional meetings tonight, and West Chicago as the host site declined the option to host weigh ins. Anyone interested in being a satellite site for West Chicago should Contact Elias Medina asap @ (630) 728-8809.
Old 02-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by A boyz 3 View Post
Per IKWF rules - All Sectional sites are required to have a Saturday morning weigh in as well as Friday night. Wrestlers participating in the Bantam championships as well as sectionals can weigh in at that Saturday morning time as it is within the 24 hr window. If your wrestler is not participating at sectionals, they can weigh in at the times listed below at the sectional site. This eliminates the need to leave the tournament and is especially helpful if the wrestler has siblings competing at sectionals. There are NO OTHER SATELLITE weigh in sites with the exception of possibly west Chicago as the host site for the west Chicago sectionals declined the option to host the weigh ins. (if a bantam wrestler is competing in the west Chicago sectional, and they weigh in Saturday morning, that weight will be accepted. If there are any additional questions, you may contact Elias Medina at the number provided below. Also a child does not have to miss meals as someone stated earlier. It is up to the parent to choose the proper weight class for their wrestler to compete. There is no penalty for missing the declared weight. Wrestlers will bump up at the scale with no penalty.

Central - Centennial High School 10a- noon

Central Chicago- Mt Carmel High School 10a-noon

North Chicago- Glenbrook South 10a-noon

North- Rochelle High School 10a-noon

South - Highland High School 10a-noon

South Chicago - Site TBD 10a-noon

West Chicago- accepting a satellite weigh in site - Please contact Elias Medina asap if interested. (630) 728-8809

West- Rock Island High School Weigh in for all participants 630-730a

Awesome! This makes sense. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2018
Junior Varsity

It's irrelavant this year because the event is already scheduled but obviously the timing & circumstances are flawed. People say that postponing bantam state was meant to increase participation at the younger ages in regionals. Let's be honest... it is not about participation, it's about money. If ikwf truly wants to increase participation "$" they should just run state series for all ages. I'm not saying regionals, sectionals, and state. They can use just regionals as qualifier by weight, then run sectionals. Then from sectionals, have actual bantam state & midget state... heck you can throw in tot state. This solves every issue posted on this board of concerns & complaints. I agree for some families, this year's scheduling of bantam state to follow day after sectionals will pose a serious dilemma. So many clubs, large & small, don't send kids over 10 to regionals anyways because iesa. For other families, if their kids are burnt out by end of January they likely don't or won't do regionals or bantam state anyways. So why not give the kids the experience of actual state series by using regionals & sectionals as qualifiers then bantam, midget, & possibly tot state makes sense. 1/2 these tots & bantams likely won't be wrestling in 5 yrs or into high school. Maybe if they had the opportunity to experience the excitement of state series it would keep them more motivated to wrestle into their later years let alone longer into the season. By the amount of posts on this topic, obviously parents & coaches aren't happy w/ the scheduling. I have feeling this will not have the impact the ikwf hoped for. Either way nothing is obviously going to change the situation this year but there will be plenty of upset families. Pretty sure ikwf doesn't want that when if it doesn't change by next year, parents will remember the inconvenience of this situation and possibly skip both events. The 2 things mentioned in various posts I agree w/ the most is the difficulties families will have if multiple kids wrestling at different ages. The other problem of kids putting the time, work, and energy to make weight will have to compete at sectionals w/o eating if they planned on competing at the same weight for bantam state. These will be the kids that will likely choose 1 or the other to compete in and this is a large # of kids
Old 02-14-2018
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeis View Post
This I don't believe is accurate. All but west sectional has 10 am weigh in times for bantam state competitors. I think sectionals already had started by that time. Ikwf & bantam state hosts need to address this issue in next 10 days cuz I'm guessing majority of kids will now choose 1 or the other. Parents will be extremely upset because no mention of where non sectional wrestlers weigh in. What's worse, the original post about bantam state info is misleading. It insinuates that people can weigh in for sectionals or at sectional sites and that weight would be used or carried over to bantam state. This was interpreted by several people even 8&unders not competing in sectionals would still weigh in there..."on friday." The entire concept of ikwf doesn't allow weigh ins more than 24 hrs in advance is ridiculous. Less than 25% of tournaments this season even had onsite weigh ins, they were phone in... Not that anyone gave inaccurate weights or anything. Future finalist weights carried over from Friday til Sunday in lemont. And now unless your kid is wrestling his or her actual or night time weight, kids will be likely not eating from lunch or light dinner at most til almost lunchtime following day... these are 8 yr olds we are talking about. Expect either sectional #s to be drastically down or bantam state #s drastically down. But both to have dilluted level of competition. People seriously need to reach out to all clubs because there is a lot of misleading info out there and still no mention of kids weigh ins that are not competing in sectionals. Good luck telling some parents they have to make arrangements to either leave sectionals and figure out weigh in scenerios for siblings or not letting their kids eat during sectionals of fear of missing weight for bantam state. Both ikwf and bantam state hosts didn't think about the small but significant details when switching dates. Ikwf still didn't think or consider possibility that some may skip both regionals and sectionals to prepare for bantam state.
Bantams shouldn’t be cutting anyways
Old 02-14-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
Bantams shouldn’t be cutting anyways
True, but unfortunately we all know majority do. Let's be honest, it's the parents wanting or making them cut & not the kids themselves especially a 5-8 yr old. Look at this year's wrestlers list for bantam state or list from years past. See how many kids weigh the same or less than what they did the previous year. Some parents will have their <10yr old child cut 5-10x/yr & 5-10% of body weight. We all know the kids who do this. The irony and not to sound insulting is it's not like their parents look like they live in a gym or have great diets. But the truth is few kids wrestle their natural weight. If all kids did, very few would even have a chance & their parents know it but can't accept it. But to each is own. Hard telling someone how to raise their kid. But I agree, tots & bantams cutting weight especially when it's a few lbs is ridiculous.
Sponsored Links