Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 10-16-2018
Varsity

duals... i dont get it

Years ago a competing team would simply take their program/team to national tournaments and compete against the best.

seems like a life time ago but threatening to win the Missouri Bonhomme dual champiionship with their team and missing one of their eventual state champs the Bonne homme program started pulling kids from other programs to be sure an Illinois team didnt win their championship in the tournament. No question with out those kids hurrying and slapping on a Bonne homme singlet this program walks away with a championship.

eventually Illinois was taintedwith loopholes in their bylaws- thus the miles restriction and so forth. The "Team" concept was being manipulated and cheated.

why dont teams do with out free agency and build their own?

do people feel this has to take a travel baseball model?

build it and they will come!!!
Old 10-16-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Weber View Post
Years ago a competing team would simply take their program/team to national tournaments and compete against the best.

seems like a life time ago but threatening to win the Missouri Bonhomme dual champiionship with their team and missing one of their eventual state champs the Bonne homme program started pulling kids from other programs to be sure an Illinois team didnt win their championship in the tournament. No question with out those kids hurrying and slapping on a Bonne homme singlet this program walks away with a championship.

eventually Illinois was taintedwith loopholes in their bylaws- thus the miles restriction and so forth. The "Team" concept was being manipulated and cheated.

why dont teams do with out free agency and build their own?

do people feel this has to take a travel baseball model?

build it and they will come!!!

Because it's much easier to go the free agent route.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'm grateful for the free agent opportunities. My son's club would never be a dual team but his favorite wrestling stories so far have all been from team events where he's been a free agent. I think it gives more opportunities, not less, so I like it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourtoes View Post
I'm grateful for the free agent opportunities. My son's club would never be a dual team but his favorite wrestling stories so far have all been from team events where he's been a free agent. I think it gives more opportunities, not less, so I like it.
Those dual team experiences are priceless for the youngsters and painful for the pocket books.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Those dual team experiences are priceless for the youngsters and painful for the pocket books.
Haha! Agreed, on both points!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
It is easier to coach talent than to develop it. In my eyes is one of the biggest problems in wrestling. That the focus is more on winning now rather than developing talent and winning with homegrown kids.

- Winston Churchill
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Speaking of Duals... is there going to enough teams to have ikwf team dual state this year? I know they lowered the amount of weights this year.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegAttack View Post
Speaking of Duals... is there going to enough teams to have ikwf team dual state this year? I know they lowered the amount of weights this year.
The weight changes were good in spirit, but didnt help my club want to enter the duals. 66 and 70 were removed, when most teams can fill those weights, and I have hammers there. Only one big weight class was filtered out.
Sponsored Links