Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Wrestleoffs

I see Ohio St. had theirs on Flo just wondering the thought process of not putting Illini WO as a public event, prior years sometimes have sometimes haven’t. Insiders?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I was in the room a few weeks ago and asked Poeta when they will have w/o’s, he said that they will more than likely not be having any. He said is was obvious during practice who would be wrestling g at each weight.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Thanks for the info.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Starting lineup

I'm kind of surprised to read the comment about there being no wrestle offs because it's obvious who the starters are. How could it be? And isn't wrestling off good for the team?

I looked again at the roster and it sure doesn't appear obvious at a few weights. Is Lee that much better than Wrobleski? Or the other way around that they don't need to find out?

What about 149, 157 and 165.

I don't get it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxter118 View Post
I'm kind of surprised to read the comment about there being no wrestle offs because it's obvious who the starters are. How could it be? And isn't wrestling off good for the team?

I looked again at the roster and it sure doesn't appear obvious at a few weights. Is Lee that much better than Wrobleski? Or the other way around that they don't need to find out?

I don't get it.
I think having wrestle offs are a good way to generate some local interest in the team, and also get fans familiar with some of the lesser known wrestlers who we have not seen before. What could it hurt? I also agree with you that there are continuing question marks at the 3 weights you mention.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

They did have an inter team match last weekend, not sure I would call it wrestle off’s. For the most part everyone got 2-3 matches. Some really good talent, some really great kids. I like what they are doing with the program. Emery is an animal, athlete and a gentleman.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoojunky View Post
They did have an inter team match last weekend, not sure I would call it wrestle off’s. For the most part everyone got 2-3 matches. Some really good talent, some really great kids. I like what they are doing with the program. Emery is an animal, athlete and a gentleman.
Glad to hear that. Anything you can report? Did the freshman wrestle? Montalvo? 197 matches?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Last time I wrestled off was in '42. FDR was President, and everybody was doing the scooby doo. We used to keep copper wire in our pockets to ward off the Nazis, and all we had to eat was unflavored Malt-O-Meal because the troops at the front got all the flavor, god bless'em. We'd dip the copper wire into the Malt-O-Meal to get copper-flavored Malt-O-Meal.

Now, where was I?

Oh yeah. That copper wire acted like garlic to vampires on Nazis. You shoulda seen'em run!

Signed,

Abe Simpson
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Last time I wrestled off was in '42. FDR was President, and everybody was doing the scooby doo. We used to keep copper wire in our pockets to ward off the Nazis, and all we had to eat was unflavored Malt-O-Meal because the troops at the front got all the flavor, god bless'em. We'd dip the copper wire into the Malt-O-Meal to get copper-flavored Malt-O-Meal.

Now, where was I?

Oh yeah. That copper wire acted like garlic to vampires on Nazis. You shoulda seen'em run!

Signed,

Abe Simpson
^now that there is funny I don’t care who you are! Lol. A great 3:30 am post! Malt-O-Meal......lmfao!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxter118 View Post

I don't get it.
Remember the coaches are watching these dudes at practice everyday. It may really be obvious to them. I am surprised that there is clear separation at all the weights though.