Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 1A

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Panic Mode

So the high school that my son wrestles for as part of a coop because we have no team at our high school has hired a new coaching staff and the coach that was from our school that used to transport the kids is no longer part of the coaching staff. This leaves the wrestlers from our school having to travel through a very rough area where we have already had problems with gangs threatening them when they would walk or take public transportation to the coop school. Since my son's school has no wrestling team of its own am I afforded any options because there are two state level wrestlers that are refusing to walk or take public transit to the coop as former team members have been threatened with a gun while walking between schools. This is a CPS school and I dont know the transfer criteria for IHSA. Man couldn't have had a bigger bomb dropped on me today. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Mike, I don't know where you are at........but CPS wrestling is the most neglected sport in the United States of America. In a state that has produced not only AAs, but also Olympians, and something like 60% of people live in the City, produces NOTHING. It is only guys like Brooks, Wilson, Weick, and many others that basically said, "screw it, I will do it myself!" that have made something out of a mountain of potential!!!

I wish you the best. Should post the school. maybe someone can help. If you read Rob Sherril's book, former famed Fenger coach and Hall of Fame ref spells it out. What do we need? Someone who wrestled before, and a frickin wrestling mat, that can be donated from suburban schools that go through them like changes of underwear! That's it! Keep in touch.

With all the violence going on in the city, why CPS does not have wrestling, and instead find 5 kids who can b-ball, is beyond my comprehension.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_spar View Post
So the high school that my son wrestles for as part of a coop because we have no team at our high school has hired a new coaching staff and the coach that was from our school that used to transport the kids is no longer part of the coaching staff. This leaves the wrestlers from our school having to travel through a very rough area where we have already had problems with gangs threatening them when they would walk or take public transportation to the coop school. Since my son's school has no wrestling team of its own am I afforded any options because there are two state level wrestlers that are refusing to walk or take public transit to the coop as former team members have been threatened with a gun while walking between schools. This is a CPS school and I dont know the transfer criteria for IHSA. Man couldn't have had a bigger bomb dropped on me today. Any info would be appreciated.
You should call the IHSA regarding the transfer rules. What school does your son attend and what neighborhood do you live in?
Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_spar View Post
Maybe a ride could be arranged? ie Uber or bus from the school... - then is would just be a matter of $/ but split by 3 might work...