Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 12-28-2017
two

Sears Center

Sears center looks nice with 10 mats on the floor. 10 mats would make for a great 2 day state tournament. With semifinals on Saturday and no Ridiculously long rounds.
Old 12-28-2017
Olympian

Info on Sears Center

http://www.searscentre.com/about-us

Seats 11,000. Probably more choices for hotels and restaurants than Champaign. Worth a try IMO.
Old 12-28-2017
Varsity

Contract

In doing some research a couple of years ago on this I found out that from 2013-2015 the total attendance for all sessions was in and around 30-31K each year. I don't know if they have by session numbers. The capacity of the State Farm Center is around 15K, but there are a lot of empty seats around the top (even in the finals), so a more condense crowd may actually make for a better atmosphere. I can't imagine there are more than 11,000 in one session, which is around what the Sears Center holds.

I also found out that the State Farm Center is under contract through the 2020 season. So you would need 1) interest from the Sears Center 2) go through bid process and be awarded to Sears Center through the IHSA. I know that Football has changed venues over the years at times, not sure if it would/could happen for wrestling.

Hoffman Estates is not a college town but plenty of lodging/food options. I don't think Central/Southern Illinois Schools would be ecstatic about the move, but most of the more competitive schools from those regions already travel throughout the year for competition purposes.
Old 12-29-2017
scully

In my opinion they should move only the 3A state tournament to the Sears center for the following reasons:

1. Each school could save the taxpayers thousands of dollars on hotel rooms and meals. Thus the schools would have more resources for their program.
2. The tournament could be run in two days. That means students are missing less time in the classroom.
3. It would eliminate long times in between matches for the wrestlers, which is what they've grown accustomed to since Thanksgiving.
4. You would significantly increase the fan base. Unfortunately for our wrestlers, it is cost prohibitive for their friends and classmates to watch them perform on the biggest stage.
5. Most wrestlers would be able to sleep in their own beds if they choose.

1A and 2A could still be in Champaign enjoying the whole venue to themselves over two days, so they could enjoy the benefits of #1, 2 and 3.

Unfortunately the Southern Illinois schools would be more inconvenienced by this. For compensation, I suggest they host a sectional every other year.
Old 12-29-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

They are charging about $30 per session here for the Midlands and $20 to park. All 4 sessions plus parking is more than $150.
Old 12-29-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
They are charging about $30 per session here for the Midlands and $20 to park. All 4 sessions plus parking is more than $150.
I saw that and a big reason why I'm not there today. "Maybe" tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2017
Crystal Lake

Quote:
I have 2 all-access passes plus parking. Make an offer.
Old 12-29-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Prices are crazy. Makes for very sparse crowds. The venue is considerably bigger than Welsh-Ryan, so it seems that much more empty. It's nice to not have to drive all the way into Evanston, but this doesn't feel like Midlands.
Old 12-29-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Scully View Post
In my opinion they should move only the 3A state tournament to the Sears center for the following reasons:

1. Each school could save the taxpayers thousands of dollars on hotel rooms and meals. Thus the schools would have more resources for their program.
2. The tournament could be run in two days. That means students are missing less time in the classroom.
3. It would eliminate long times in between matches for the wrestlers, which is what they've grown accustomed to since Thanksgiving.
4. You would significantly increase the fan base. Unfortunately for our wrestlers, it is cost prohibitive for their friends and classmates to watch them perform on the biggest stage.
5. Most wrestlers would be able to sleep in their own beds if they choose.

1A and 2A could still be in Champaign enjoying the whole venue to themselves over two days, so they could enjoy the benefits of #1, 2 and 3.

Unfortunately the Southern Illinois schools would be more inconvenienced by this. For compensation, I suggest they host a sectional every other year.
2 and 3 would be nice; it might even allow for full wrestlebacks.

For 1A and 2A, #1, #4 and #5 are BS. It's not a stretch to say that a significant number of the state qualifiers will come from the best teams in the state. In 1A, only 3 of the 13 listed teams are located within 100 miles of Champaign (and 1 of those is 90+ miles). In 2A, 4 are within 100 miles (1 of those is 90+). So tell me how that is saving the taxpayers of those towns money (schools which have a much smaller tax base than Chicago suburban schools)?

As for splitting the tournament sites, consider you are now renting 2 facilities (with less attendence at 1 of them). You are doubling the number of on and off-mat officials required, which means in theory lesser quality refs are now doing state finals.

As for your "compensation" for the southern schools, that's already basically being done. That 3A sectional has been at (in order) LWC, Edwardsville, Granite City, LWC, Moline, Normal West, Normal Community, Bolingbrook and Normal Community. This year it's in Alton.

No, you move the whole thing somewhere else or you Chicago types can put crowbars in your wallets and travel like the rest of the state does, with all the disadvantages that entails.
Old 12-29-2017
two

“Travel like the rest of the state,” you say. Why would they travel when 90% of the 3a schools are in the Chicago area. Also I was looking at the assignments and a school like Oswego has regionals in Moline, sectionals in Alton, then state in Champaign. Sounds like some traveling to me.