Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-17-2018
Olympian

One other HWT I would include in the mix is Mike Behnke of Willowbrook.
Old 01-17-2018
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
No question....hands down. You said it absolutely correctly. The only Heavy in the country with folkstyle offense better is Steveson. Trackwrestling did an article last week that talked about this being the Golden age in upperweights. They talked obviously about Steveson, Seth Nevills, Cohlton Schultz, Tony Cassioppi, Mason Parris, Daniel Kerklviet and I think they might have even mentioned Braxton Amos. Go out to Flo and watch the Nevills-Schultz match from a couple weeks ago and then watch any of Tony's matches at Super 32, JJ Classic, Fargo, UWW Junior Nationals, UWW World Team Trials and then tell me that either one of those 2 could match Tony's offense.

In comparison to Illinois heavies from the past, there is no one who has had the success at the National and International level that Tony has. There is no one who has the broad repertoire of offensive technique that Tony has. There have been kids who are REALLY strong. There have been kids who are REALLY athletic. There has never been the combination of strength, athleticism and shear offensive firepower that Tony has.
I get your point and agree that BIGant is better than all of them but Steveson right now. But comparing what a couple top 5 guys did against each other to what BIGant did to lesser opponents isn't fair.

*As good as CA has been as a state in wrestling, their hwt division has been relatively weak over Nevills' career. He will go down as the rare CA 4x champ but he didn't have to beat anyone. Good chance he would have never won a title if he was in Illinois.
Old 01-17-2018
Varsity

just the facts

On the plus side for Goebel, the Montini schedule was every bit as tough back then maybe tougher. The Clash and Cheeshead were a notch higher than now, with several more nationally ranked teams back then. Also the Dvorak was in it's heyday, I believe Sandburg and Montini, were ranked in the top 5 teams nationally, and at various times several other out of state teams Iowa City West, Bishop Lynch Texas, ect were also in the top 10. The Dvorak then was a notch above the Broncos 4th tournament now the Catholic League, which is really only an above average tournament with the leveling off of Providence, Marmion, and Mt Carmel. So strength of schedule is not an issue for the arguement.

What is on the negative side for Goebel is the fact that has been brought up, that he never competed outside of the wrestling season. In fact his only loss in I believe 2 years was to the Thompson kid out of Waverly Shellrock HS who was at the time the #1 ranked HVY WT in the Country, with Goebel being number #2. That match happened at the clash, and the Thompson kids year round experience was the difference in the match.

Although it is quite astonishing that Goebel accomplished everything he did (201 career wins, 131 career pins, 46 pins senior year) with no offseason work, it would be a tall order to beat a dedicated year round wrestler like Tony. Either way I'd love to see that match!!
Old 01-17-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
One other HWT I would include in the mix is Mike Behnke of Willowbrook.
Going way back into the late 70's Kurt Bankston East Leyden was another name you can throw in the mix.
Old 01-17-2018
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog81 View Post
Going way back into the late 70's Kurt Bankston East Leyden was another name you can throw in the mix.
Absolutely...and Guhrka from Joliet.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 01-17-2018
Varsity

Mike Behnke
Old 01-17-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Toe View Post
Mike Behnke
Monster, Argo had heavys for a few years too...
Old 01-17-2018
Olympian

And who can forget? A freshman won heavy from Fenwick.........think about that.
Old 01-18-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Toe View Post
Mike Behnke
Mike Behnke and Matt Roth. Back to back HWT state champs for Willowbrook in the early 2000s. Both would have been able to hang with Cassioppi and Goebel. Athletic and strong. It was unfortunate Mike never worked out at U of I, he had the talent.

Roth wrestled like a lightweight at HWT. His 8th grade year he took 2nd in IKWF in a very tough bracket. Mike Kimberlain (Bishop Mac) won it and Mike Boyd (St. Rita) took 3rd in the bracket. All 3 ended up being IHSA state champs.

Goebel grew up in Villa Park and started wrestling in the Villa Park Young Warriors. It's too bad he didn't end up Willowbrook as well.
Old 01-18-2018
Varsity

just the facts

Ok the 2 most "intimidating looking" Heavyweights: Matt Roth Willowbrook, and Hubert "Boo Boo" Thompson of Proviso West?
Sponsored Links