Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-19-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior00 View Post
Mike Behnke...It was unfortunate Mike never worked out at U of I, he had the talent.
What happened at U of I?

Old 01-26-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
What happened at U of I?

The same that happens to a lot of young college athletes. Numerous distractions that come with the college life.
Old 01-29-2018
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by caped crusader View Post
Ok the 2 most "intimidating looking" Heavyweights: Matt Roth Willowbrook, and Hubert "Boo Boo" Thompson of Proviso West?
Ryan Bain from Boilingbrook was as scary looking as they come when it comes to heavy fellas!
Old 01-29-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernthrow36 View Post
Ryan Bain from Boilingbrook was as scary looking as they come when it comes to heavy fellas!
I remember walking behind him and thinking that I'd never seen anyone with shoulders that wide. Also, in a match against a top HWT, the other wrestler shot a double. Instead of sprawling Bain just stood there and took the shot as if it was nothing. He then leaned over and took the other wrestler to his back and pinned him.
Old 01-29-2018
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
I remember walking behind him and thinking that I'd never seen anyone with shoulders that wide. Also, in a match against a top HWT, the other wrestler shot a double. Instead of sprawling Bain just stood there and took the shot as if it was nothing. He then leaned over and took the other wrestler to his back and pinned him.
When he wrestled Ian Darr in 06ish in the finals, it was like Godzilla squaring off with King Kong. Two absolute hulks of human beings!
Old 01-29-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernthrow36 View Post
When he wrestled Ian Darr in 06ish in the finals, it was like Godzilla squaring off with King Kong. Two absolute hulks of human beings!
I remember that. Darr was the only HWT strong enough. That was some battle. It also was a classic North vs South battle.
Old 01-29-2018
Olympian

Best HvyWt I saw...but I have not seen 99% of guys mentioned or to have seen... - it is tough to compare - has the max changed? (I am surprised UFC has a max of 265 - that is not that big, most NFL linemen are bigger than that.)

1981-82 AA James Irons Chicago Heights (Bloom Trail)
Old 01-29-2018
Junior Varsity

TCass

I have been watching the Illinois state tournament since 1971. I have seen multiple matches of all the heavyweights mentioned in the previous posts. Obviously some very impressive wrestlers but I was in awe last year watching TCass on his feet. I have never seen such speed, timing, and balance in a heavyweight. Some of the others might have been as good in the up or down positions (but probably none better) but none could compare to him on his feet. I thought Goebel was the best until last year. TCass would take control early and win by several points. TCass took 3rd as Sophomore losing by a point in the semi to the state champ. He improved a lot during the off season and last year as a junior dominated through the year. It appears he has continued to improve based on the post season tournaments he has won. The TCass I saw as a junior was better than Goebel as a senior. The senior TCass would be even more dominant.
Old 01-29-2018
Olympian

I too have watched the heavy weights. Heck...I've been heavy most my life. Cassioppi is the best Ive seen in the state of Illinois. If You could put a whole bunch in a bag, shake it up, pull out at random against whomever...I would take Cassioppi. Roth was a specimen, but not the technician Behnke was..... I don't think Goebel beats either. Bain was a brute and probably beats your older day heavy's, Bankston, and Thompson(Neither were"technicians", all three were intimidating),Goebel would have trouble outmuscleing them, and may not have been able to shoot on them.
Old 01-30-2018
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' man river View Post
I too have watched the heavy weights. Heck...I've been heavy most my life. Cassioppi is the best Ive seen in the state of Illinois. If You could put a whole bunch in a bag, shake it up, pull out at random against whomever...I would take Cassioppi. Roth was a specimen, but not the technician Behnke was..... I don't think Goebel beats either. Bain was a brute and probably beats your older day heavy's, Bankston, and Thompson(Neither were"technicians", all three were intimidating),Goebel would have trouble outmuscleing them, and may not have been able to shoot on them.

I agree he is a monster on his feet, the only thing I would be concerned with is once he takes that shot would some big brutes just stonewall him? Ian Darr had a sweet blast double (he rarely used) but Bain stonewalled him on several occasions and I can't imagine Cass has that sort of blast. Could be wrong though, fun to think about though isn't it?