Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Varsity

Illini 2018-19 roster

The website has the roster updated, but doesn't have new pictures so not sure if the weights are updated for returning guys as well, obviously they are for the new guys.

Gunther, montalvo, Riojas, Z Braunagel all listed at 174.
Carr and kanzler both listed at 141.
Hard to tell who would start at 157.
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Varsity

Also see Jake DiBenedetto transfer from ODU at 149, don't think I had seen that announced before but couldve missed it.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Thanks for this, Jay! I appreciate the news and your sleuthing out the new guns. I do have a problem with an ILLINI lineup missing out on IMAR, so I hacked into the mainframe and made a few changes:

Mecha-IMAR 2000 is just back from the Pacific Rim, where he won a Royal Rumble between seven Jaegers and four Kaijus. Now, if we can only slip him past the Big Ten!

I realize this is Parker's team now, with help from Pio, Duncan, Carr and the Deuce. But, I can't let go. Noted in the new lineup is that Mologousis is listed at 165. I have no idea how he made 157 last year. Want him to stay healthy!

GO ILLINI AND MECHA-ILLINI!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Varsity

I agree it will be hard all year and maybe years to come without Imar in the middle of the lineup. Looks like the only other loss besides the seniors was David Rivera-Kohr left the team.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
I agree it will be hard all year and maybe years to come without Imar in the middle of the lineup. Looks like the only other loss besides the seniors was David Rivera-Kohr left the team.
I look for several things that will show early on how the team fares this year: 1. The starter at 149; 2. The starter at 174; 3. The starter at 197; and 4. The starter at 285. If Barone, Lee and Rachal return to the starting lineup, that would mean we would not have Big 10 caliber wrestlers at those weight classes, much like last year. I want to see Montalvo as the starter at 174 if he is healthy. He showed great promise early on. I think it would be a positive sign for the future of the team if we had new starters at each of those positions.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
My hope is that we have three hammers starting us off at 125, 133 and 141. My only question about those three involves Pio being healthy and able to make weight. That's a great start to any dual!

Then, if we have Gunther, Montalvo and Parker going from 165 to 184, we'll have three more hammers.

Carr and Parker weren't quite the bonus machines that IMAR was (who is?), but their improvements in that regard will help the team.

The Deuce has improved his body and wrestling every year in the ILLINI room. And he's already the most exciting heavyweight in the NCAA with the graduation of Snyder. If he went crazy in the weight room this year like he must have last year, he'll be able to throw buildings and locomotives.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Varsity

You have 5 guys who can compete with anyone in the country. Piotrowski, Duncan, Carr, Gunther, and Parker. I didn’t say beat, I said compete. I hope Pio doesn’t pull a Langenderfer and regresses as time goes by. I think piotrowski had a better first year than second year. 149, 157, 174, 197 And HWT are concerns. If Montalvo wrestles to his hs ranking then he’ll be solid. I’m glad he’s still on the roster since I remember last year some folks on here said he was done. Carver James would be another solid starter at 157 if he stays healthy. Also, is Andre Lee the guy or is it Wrobelewski? I love your enthusiasm for the deuce but is there any way he can become an NCAA qualifier? Either way that move against Jennings was one of my favorites in college wrestling last year. On a side note whatever happened to Brooks Black?
Old 5 Days Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Several of those guys will be competing at weights other than what's listed, including up to 4 starters.
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Several of those guys will be competing at weights other than what's listed, including up to 4 starters.
Interesting. I hope you will weigh in on each of the weights. I was thinking about doing a board wrestle-off for each contested weight. Right now, it is hard to figure out "for sure" slots except for maybe Parker and the Deuce. And even the Deuce will probably get a wrestle off.

I'm starting to get that excitement again.

We will get a season of great ILLINI wrestling, and, at the same time, get to enjoy IMAR and the rest of the IRTC.

%$#@ yeah!

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links