Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Archives > Southern Illinois Wrestling

Old 03-23-2013

I agree with you 100% but by saying things are easier I'm saying with that wrestling is huge in northern Illinois where it's all basketball down here so there's more support by the schools, and there's more all-star dual opportunities and these seniors deserve to be able to do this.
Old 03-23-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
That is a myth.

3.120 ALL-STAR PARTICIPATION
3.121 No student at a member school shall participate on an all-star team in basketball,football,soccer or volleyball during the
studentís high school career until completing their interscholastic athletic eligibility in that particular sport. A student
may participate in no more than three (3) all-star contestsin a sport.

True that this by-law only specifies football, basketball, soccer, & volleyball, but I would want to see written approval from the IHSA specifiying that it was ok, before I would allow an underclassman to wrestle in an "all-star" dual. After 41 years as a high school coach in Illinois, I have learned to only trust written verification from the IHSA about specific situations. To say I don't always trust them with the gray areas would be an understatement.
Old 03-24-2013
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMbunctious View Post
3.121 No student at a member school shall participate on an all-star team in basketball,football,soccer or volleyball during the
studentís high school career until completing their interscholastic athletic eligibility in that particular sport. A student

True that this by-law only specifies football, basketball, soccer, & volleyball, but I would want to see written approval from the IHSA specifiying that it was ok, before I would allow an underclassman to wrestle in an "all-star" dual. After 41 years as a high school coach in Illinois, I have learned to only trust written verification from the IHSA about specific situations. To say I don't always trust them with the gray areas would be an understatement.
I had this confirmed with Gannaway when I was looking to put on an all-star event, but I agree, I would get it in writing before actually going through with things.
Old 03-24-2013
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:

It's already been happening. Wouldn't the dual teams that go to the Scholastic duals, Disney, Virginia Beach, etc be considered all star teams?
Old 03-24-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
It's already been happening. Wouldn't the dual teams that go to the Scholastic duals, Disney, Virginia Beach, etc be considered all star teams?
Technically, I would think so. But as I said, there seems to be a lot of gray area here. What about AAU basketball teams and volleyball teams in the off-season? Since wrestling isn't specified in the bylaw, one could assume it is exempt. But assumptions can get one in trouble. I would still want it in writing.
Old 03-24-2013
22 more years left.

Quote:

Wow i learned a new word.
I had to look it up.
Old 03-25-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by promartinez View Post
Wow i learned a new word.
I had to look it up.
Cut and pasted from the IHSA website.
Old 03-25-2013
22 more years left.

Quote:
Cut and pasted from the IHSA website.
Lol.
It's Kind of a word, but not really from what I have looked up.
Kinda Urban Dictiona"i"ry.
Sponsored Links