Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
Isnít he like 22
He will be 24 in May
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtigercoach View Post
He will be 24 in May
They didn't have State Troopers ringing the mat when you wrestled? You weren't trying, my friend!

The ILLINI have finished up the toughest (by far) portion of their dual schedule. Should be team wins from here on out. Also, and more importantly, it will be a superb opportunity to fatten up those individual records.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-14-2018
Junior Varsity

149 and 157

Yes those two have really regressed from last year. Really glad to see A. Lee get more aggressive, even though the later part of the match was not representative because of the injury it was still good to see the first period TD. I noticed this year the officials are not having Langenderfer's usual dirty tactics, I think it was in Missouri he got a point against him for hands to the face right off the bat in a way you could tell it was for body of work.
Old 01-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Kids make mistakes. Its why they're kids.

ILLINI fall short 14-17. Would have been cool to see IMAR with the incentive to go for the pin. Rachal was 10 seconds away from a crucial victory. From here on out--at least during duals--I'm thinking that the Deuce will be on the loose! Duncan with a controlled win. Andre Lee broke through. (I hope Bobby Steveson will be okay). Emery Parker is a bad man. Nice to see Carr with three takedowns in the third period. He can do that to Thorn in the first period of the Big Ten semis next. I thought Riojas fought hard.

GO ILLINI!!!
I give credit to the Minnesota kid for coming through with a huge Td i dont fault Deuce at all .Give Deuce credit for getting caught and not getting stuck as well.
I think Pio did his job by only getting turned once by lizak and keeping it to a decision.
Duncan should of majored at 33 .He was close to after winning the first 2 periods but lost the 3rd and was a little sloppy .still good win tho

Langendirty best shot fake of the entire match was the headbutt and him giving up a team point there deflated any hope.Its hard to accept that behavior when you just got done doing nothing for 7 minutes
Minnesota had a few guys out but thats a dual Illinois let get away .
Old 01-15-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
Yes those two have really regressed from last year.
A note about that: Iowa's duo scored 32 match points against the best that Oklahoma State had to offer at 149 and 157. They scored a combined 8 points against the ILLINI.

As I've said before, the analogy for me is battlebots. Some wrestlers are defensive, some are offensive, most are a little of both. The champion machines (and wrestlers) can win the defensive and offensive battles. I would rather have my guy have a shot to win as the clock ticks down. When you give up 23 and 9 points in a match like the Okie Lite wrestlers did, then you have no shot to win after the first period.

Give these guys a couple of weeks to plump up their win/loss records. They will have lots of opportunities before the conference tournament.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 01-15-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
A note about that: Iowa's duo scored 32 match points against the best that Oklahoma State had to offer at 149 and 157. They scored a combined 8 points against the ILLINI.

As I've said before, the analogy for me is battlebots. Some wrestlers are defensive, some are offensive, most are a little of both. The champion machines (and wrestlers) can win the defensive and offensive battles. I would rather have my guy have a shot to win as the clock ticks down. When you give up 23 and 9 points in a match like the Okie Lite wrestlers did, then you have no shot to win after the first period.

Give these guys a couple of weeks to plump up their win/loss records. They will have lots of opportunities before the conference tournament.

GO ILLINI!!!
I saw the matches, and you know as well as I do that neither Barone nor Langenderfer had a shot in hell at winning and literally made no attempt to do so. That is not the style of wrestling that I want to see or that Heffernan needs to see. I sure as heck hope that is not what he is teaching.
Sponsored Links