Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 03-24-2010
Varsity

eerily similar

I know I speak for many families who read your great post and said to themselves how much your thoughts echoed their's at the end of a son's or brother's competitive wrestling career.

Its very close to my thoughts after my younger brother's last collegiate wrestling match --- and the similarities in your family and my family experiences is crazy --- both of our fathers were central illinois HS wrestling coaches who spent countless hours/days/years helping us experience the sport of wrestling and were our HS coaches. I wrestled for an in-state D1 school (ISU) and my younger brother at a big 12 (5) wrestling school (Okie st.) and our thoughts immediately after our younger brother's final match were basically identical --- pretty cool stuff.

I hope you are as fortunate as I have been later in life to begin that experience over agan from yet another perspective (as your sons' coach/parent) introducing them to the sport and having a blast experiencing it with them along the way.
Old 03-24-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercoach View Post
I know I speak for many families who read your great post and said to themselves how much your thoughts echoed their's at the end of a son's or brother's competitive wrestling career.

Its very close to my thoughts after my younger brother's last collegiate wrestling match --- and the similarities in your family and my family experiences is crazy --- both of our fathers were central illinois HS wrestling coaches who spent countless hours/days/years helping us experience the sport of wrestling and were our HS coaches. I wrestled for an in-state D1 school (ISU) and my younger brother at a big 12 (5) wrestling school (Okie st.) and our thoughts immediately after our younger brother's final match were basically identical --- pretty cool stuff.

I hope you are as fortunate as I have been later in life to begin that experience over agan from yet another perspective (as your sons' coach/parent) introducing them to the sport and having a blast experiencing it with them along the way.
WOW. Crazy similarities. But, like you said, we are both very fortunate to have been in our situations and I hope you have enjoyed it all as much as I have. Hopefully as I grow older, I will continue to have wonderful memories with family in this great sport, just as it seems you are getting the opportunity to do.
Old 03-25-2010
Olympian

If one thing that can be taken from this thread it is to cherish the moment. It will all be over way too soon. I played a lot of baseball as a kid (no youth wrestling back then). My Dad had me on the field at 4. I played baseball every year all the way through high school and even had a couple of scholarship offers. It was something I always expected to be there. We got beat in the sectional championship game in high school. When I walked off the field it never dawned on me that it was the last baseball game I would ever play in. I still have dreams that I am trying out for the team.

You young guys that read these forums take note. Don't be in a hurry to get to your Senior year. Slow down and enjoy every moment of the experience. It will be gone before you know it!!!!
Old 03-25-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post
If one thing that can be taken from this thread it is to cherish the moment. It will all be over way too soon. I played a lot of baseball as a kid (no youth wrestling back then). My Dad had me on the field at 4. I played baseball every year all the way through high school and even had a couple of scholarship offers. It was something I always expected to be there. We got beat in the sectional championship game in high school. When I walked off the field it never dawned on me that it was the last baseball game I would ever play in. I still have dreams that I am trying out for the team.

You young guys that read these forums take note. Don't be in a hurry to get to your Senior year. Slow down and enjoy every moment of the experience. It will be gone before you know it!!!!
Great post. Very true statements. You really have to enjoy everything you do on a daily basis and be thankful for those opportunities. So many kids dont slow down to look at the world from this point of view, and before they know it, those things are gone from their lives. I know I fell into this trap many times, and thankfully my dad was there to remind me to slow down and take it all in. Life goes by quickly. I know thats cliche to say, but it is true.
Old 03-30-2010
Olympian

Looking forward to hearing about Duke's graduation from Iowa State this May. I am glad he was able to wrestle and finish up in the amount of time he wanted. Will he be working with you and your dad this fall? Best of luck to him.
Old 05-13-2010
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post

Who did you play for? What travel teams and high school? I wonder if I ever did your games as an ump?
Old 05-13-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
Who did you play for? What travel teams and high school? I wonder if I ever did your games as an ump?
Pekin High School. Never played travel ball as I got consumed with wrestling during the Summer. My most memorable ump was Swede Gillieart out of Peoria. What a piece of work! Passed away last year. I still have the game ball he gave me after 1972 District championship game that I pitched. You're much too young, Twist. Bet you haven't heard that for a while!!