Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 23 Hours Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWTilt View Post
Thanks for proving my point that you have to be a one of the largest schools in Illinois to compete with these private schools. The exception is Washington but they're a growing town that's a suburb of a major city, where they have more bodies to recruit from/have move-in. I'm sure in time they'll get their numbers closer to the OPRF/Lock/Sandburg size. At the end of the day you need bodies with talent and if you're a smaller school, it's going to be a statistical oddity that you could compete with an Aurora Christian, Marian Central (either one), PC's , etc...
Washington is not a growing city as far as I can tell. And it is hard to call Peoria a major city, more like a dying city. There are a lot of small towns in central Illinois and people do move into Washington to wrestle. But it is nothing like an Orland Park or Oak park or any of those cities. The population base they have to choose from is much smaller. However, they get a lot of small town and farm boy types and they are generally tougher than city slickers. :-)
Old 8 Hours Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
Washington is not a growing city as far as I can tell. And it is hard to call Peoria a major city, more like a dying city. There are a lot of small towns in central Illinois and people do move into Washington to wrestle. But it is nothing like an Orland Park or Oak park or any of those cities. The population base they have to choose from is much smaller. However, they get a lot of small town and farm boy types and they are generally tougher than city slickers. :-)
What do you consider central Illinois? From Wheaton, over to Galesburg, then down to Champaign? That sure is a big center!
Sponsored Links