Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
By my count Andre Lee lost 13 matches by a total of 20 points. He needs to be the starter for his last year and if he can just step up his intensity he could have a much better year.

He also only had 10 wins with a total of 21 points. If other kids step up their intesity he could have a much worse year also.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
By my count Andre Lee lost 13 matches by a total of 20 points. He needs to be the starter for his last year and if he can just step up his intensity he could have a much better year.
Andre Lee has proven he has an uncanny ability to keep matches close, regardless of whether he is wrestling a nationally ranked opponent or an average to subpar backup. What he has not proven he has an ability to do is to actually turn any of those close losses against Top 25 wrestlers into wins. He has had 3 years to prove that.....and you want to give him another.

Bottom line is it will come down to the wrestle off, how they compete with one another in the room, how they perform in open tournaments or some combination of the the 3. I'd be shocked to see Lee fill that spot for his final year of eligibility, but time will tell.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
I'd be shocked to see Lee fill that spot for his final year of eligibility, but time will tell.
I would not be shocked at all. I bet he's the best option. I don't think he's been given a mulligan.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Andre Lee has proven he has an uncanny ability to keep matches close, regardless of whether he is wrestling a nationally ranked opponent or an average to subpar backup. What he has not proven he has an ability to do is to actually turn any of those close losses against Top 25 wrestlers into wins. He has had 3 years to prove that.....and you want to give him another.

Bottom line is it will come down to the wrestle off, how they compete with one another in the room, how they perform in open tournaments or some combination of the the 3. I'd be shocked to see Lee fill that spot for his final year of eligibility, but time will tell.
Agree with this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

I totally get the frustration. I can't think there are too many examples of 3 year starters in the Big 10 who get benched the fourth year.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
125 - Travis Piotrowski
133 - Dylan Duncan
141 - Christian Kanzler
149 - Michael Carr
157 - Johnny Mologousis
165 - Danny Braunagel
174 - Nikita Nepomnyashchiy
184 - Emery Parker
197 - Matt Wroblewski
285 - Deuce Rachal

In my opinion, it would be a mistake to put Barone and Riojas out there again next year. They both have a redshirt year to use and I believe they both could benefit from using it next year. They very well could get things figured out and find their best weight to compete and add some value in the subsequent 3 years. However, last year had to be frustrating for them both and certainly not beneficial to the team in a conference as tough as the Big 10. With that being said, I think Michael Carr could bulk up into a solid 149. He definitely has the frame to add a solid 8 pounds and I think his style would work equally well at either weight. Kanzler had 2 solid years at the JUCO level. That doesn't always translate into being competitive at D1, but he might be the best option.

I also think that we need to all admit that the Andre Lee experiment has run its course. He was a kid who looked to have great upside coming in from a top HS program and discovering the sport later than most. But, he just has not proven to be any kind of a contributor. An upgrade is definitely needed. Matt Wroblewski on the other hand has always been a solid kid who appears to have found his niche as an upper weight. He was really impressive competing in opens last year and could be a nice upgrade at 197. I would not be surprised to see him being a 4x NCAA qualifier who makes it on the podium before all is said and done.

The one wildcard that I did not include above is Justin Mejia. Most know that he spent a gray shirt year in Champaign last year and is a very familiar face among the team. He did compete at UWW Junior Freestyle a few weeks back at 61 KG was not very impressive. Not sure if he will be on the roster next year or not. I can't see him being better than Duncan. I doubt he can make 125 and still be effective. So, I'm not sure where he fits or if he fits at all.

Another one who has been waiting in the wings for quite a while is Carver James. I could see him taking either the 157 or 165 starting spot if the chips fall the right way for him. Right now, I'd give the edge to Mologousis and Braunagel, but they may decide to redshirt Braunagel OR James could beat out Mologousis for the spot outright.

I also did not include Montalvo as the program insiders I know say that he's likely to not be on the roster next year. I hope my information is wrong because if it is and he is available to wrestler, he immediately becomes the favorite for the 174 spot.
The Illini are in real trouble in the Big 10 for the foreseeable future. None of their last three recruiting classes was listed in the top 20 by Flo, whereas this past year most of the conference teams, excluding Michigan State and Indiana, were. The Illini are getting outrecruited by the likes of Iowa State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Stanford, Princeton and Missouri, along with many others. Not Good. I read all the time in Flo where top kids are making college decisions and rarely, if ever, mention Illinois. Same with transfers. So far, and I realize it's still early, the Poeta effect has not materialized. It needs to happen soon or we are going to regress into the bottom half of the Big 10 and stay there for a long time.
Old 1 Week Ago
Double stud

Flo only talks about Iowa, Penn State and Ohio State, so they aren't the best barometer, but it seems the upcoming Illini recruiting classes are shaping up pretty well. What will be telling is if any of those youngsters become super elite prospects, can they ward of Iowa et al, late in the game to secure the actual signature.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
Flo only talks about Iowa, Penn State and Ohio State, so they aren't the best barometer, but it seems the upcoming Illini recruiting classes are shaping up pretty well. What will be telling is if any of those youngsters become super elite prospects, can they ward of Iowa et al, late in the game to secure the actual signature.
I hope you're right. Remember, for the last 4-5 years, the elite core of the Illini roster has consisted of the last 2 top 10 recruiting classes. Those class rankings (or the lack thereof) make a difference over time.
Sponsored Links