Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 03-13-2018
Olympian

Biggest surprises from Rockford

While I missed much of Friday afternoons wrestling due to commitments in Dekalb, some of the biggest surprises I saw at state this year were:

-79 Senior, thought only Twisters and Martinez had all team finals?

-84 Senior, stunned 1 of the top kids went 0-2. his draw caused that happen, but still lost his last 3 matches all by 1, with two being in OT. Can anyone tell me the last kid to be runner up 3x's?

-89 Senior, thought terrible call on Alvarado match with Webster to end match in OT. Questionable at best, but to end match that way... Congrats to Webster none the less, great wrestler

-130 What was the season record of Hallin/Lopez? Hallin took regionals and sectionals, man it's so hard to beat a wrestler 3 weeks in a row.

-138 Senior, another reason why people shouldn't put added pressure on kids. IESA Champion talked up like he was the Terminator sent here to destroy IK...ended almost as badly as the father's sportsmanship. I did not see the match with Chiaro, but the score looked dominating. Thought Gillum had the win in the final, great finish.

-166 Senior, thought Navarro was a given as state champ- Congrats to Rose. Semi-final match with Dutkin was classic battle of two beasts fighting fatigue, dutkin really only a second year wrestler?

-Novice 79-89, some great brackets, very deep. Guerro/Morgan match great finish

Nov 101, one of two events I can't believe I missed from Friday afternoon. Oh well, enough info here.

Congrats to the Kelly brothers, who would have thought they would have more championships than Gomez this weekend?

Other than the Bailey's, who were the last brothers to win the same year?
Old 03-13-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappedOut View Post

-84 Senior, stunned 1 of the top kids went 0-2. his draw caused that happen, but still lost his last 3 matches all by 1, with two being in OT. Can anyone tell me the last kid to be runner up 3x's?
Jake Wojcik OPP.....3x finalist....never won it
Old 03-13-2018

84 Senior: That won't happen to that kid again, I'm pretty sure.

89 Senior: You are correct. In the Semis the call was fleeing the mat w short time in OT. He took a step out as he was being pushed/moving to clear hands - in a neutral position. Not saying Webster wouldn't have won, but come on Ref, there is an other ref to confer with, right? And he didn't

79 Seniors: Arlington had a nice tournament. Congrats to those guys.

130 Senior: Those two went 3-3 this year. Great kids and fantastic wrestlers. If they wrestled a hundred times they would likely go 50-50.

89 Novice: Congratulations to RM for making the big move! It took guts to go for it in a very entertaining match.

Bailey: What can you say about him? he's so good. Anyone know if he has another year in IK?
Old 03-13-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CradleIt View Post
Bailey: What can you say about him? he's so good. Anyone know if he has another year in IK?
It doesn't matter.

https://youtu.be/CMgg1CZw0hc
Old 03-13-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappedOut View Post
While I missed much of Friday afternoons wrestling due to commitments in Dekalb, some of the biggest surprises I saw at state this year were:

-79 Senior, thought only Twisters and Martinez had all team finals?

-89 Senior, thought terrible call on Alvarado match with Webster to end match in OT. Questionable at best, but to end match that way... Congrats to Webster none the less, great wrestler

-130 What was the season record of Hallin/Lopez? Hallin took regionals and sectionals, man it's so hard to beat a wrestler 3 weeks in a row.

-138 Senior, another reason why people shouldn't put added pressure on kids. IESA Champion talked up like he was the Terminator sent here to destroy IK...ended almost as badly as the father's sportsmanship. I did not see the match with Chiaro, but the score looked dominating. Thought Gillum had the win in the final, great finish.

-166 Senior, thought Navarro was a given as state champ- Congrats to Rose. Semi-final match with Dutkin was classic battle of two beasts fighting fatigue, dutkin really only a second year wrestler?

-Novice 79-89, some great brackets, very deep. Guerro/Morgan match great finish

Nov 101, one of two events I can't believe I missed from Friday afternoon. Oh well, enough info here.

Congrats to the Kelly brothers, who would have thought they would have more championships than Gomez this weekend?

Other than the Bailey's, who were the last brothers to win the same year?
138 shouldn't have even went into OT. Thompson should have won before that. Gillum fleeing the mat 3x and they were just concerned about him holding on to an ankle. Directing fleeing the mat has to be called if you can't hold onto an ankle to keep someone from running off the mat to get a restart!!!!
Old 03-13-2018

Any word on the kid who was taken out on the stretcher Saturday? Novice, unsure what weight.
Old 03-13-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMpower View Post
Any word on the kid who was taken out on the stretcher Saturday? Novice, unsure what weight.

I believe he was back to get his medal with his weight class on center stage.
Old 03-13-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Know View Post
Jake Wojcik OPP.....3x finalist....never won it
Joseph fernau Izzy 3x runner up but still impressive to make finals 3x in a row
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Robbed

They stole my song and glow sticks!!!

LMFAO
Old 03-14-2018
Junior Varsity

Horrible aim

I stood out there in my glowing glasses and ear rings directing the finalist march and didn't get hit with one glow stick... its no wonder those kids wrestle because they have horrible aim..... they definitely tried to hit me and i was quite surprised i wasn't hit
Sponsored Links