Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-14-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
No way! Those guys were all top 3-5 weight class recruits. Illinois doesn't, and shouldn't, imo be the go to place for those guys. They needed to take chances on guys like my kid and Ogunsanya, Hartman, Champagne, Early, et al. The 6-15 Midwest area recruits at each weight are where the gold is. They're mostly the same level wrestling wise at the HS level and you're hoping to find the diamond, or other gemstones in the rough you can polish up.

For years I watched Perry in lots of gyms talking to guys he was never going to get while passing by great guys who would love to have talked to him.
Iím not in agreement with this idea that the weight class ranked #6-15 range is only where they should focus recruiting. Until more importance is placed on duals the be-all and end-all right now is the NCAA tournament. You earn a top placement at NCAAís with blue chip recruits and not with 6-15 weight class ranked guys. For example, a finalist at NCAAís is earning your team about 17 points while a blood round guy is only getting you about 2 or 3 points. Youíd need 6 to 8 round of 12 wrestlers to get you the same as one finalist.

While itís not impossible to coach up those 6-15 level guys into a title contending team it is unlikely. We did see that a few years ago where Minnesota was doing the most with the least, but the odds arenít on your side. To understand a little bit better what I mean, read this thread and look at the data in it:

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/t...gs#entry208335

As far as coaches go, we did just get some new blood in there so letís give them a little more time to work. Not too long ago people on this board were calling for Johnsonís head as well. However, you may be right about who Perry was recruiting. I did see Perry and Heffernan out recruiting at least once a year around Chicago. Perry said he was looking for the very best athletes and he was going around to the top high schools to find them. Some really hardworking but less coordinated kids were immediately out.
Old 03-14-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwrestler155 View Post
Coaching. Look what Cael did for Iowa State and Penn State. Took them to the next level no? If Cael said he was leaving Penn St to go to U o I to coach, within 3-4 years the Illini would be a top 5 team.

Would Burroughs be a good coach when he's done competing?
Burroughs was an assistant coach one year at Nebraska and stated he didnít care for it after stepping down. Maybe that will change with age but I still couldnít see him leaving Nebraska.
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I do think Champaign area is not as ideal as say Evanston, Madison, Iowa City to name a few
Homeowner's Association lawsuits, stepping in somebody else's puke and meth labs? Are you being serious? Evanston is perfect if you happen to be a large urban sewer rat that lives for Homeowner Association lawsuits. If you have ever been to Madison, then you have walked in somebody else's vomit. It is everywhere. That's because people in Wisconsin drink until they literally explode. As for Iowa ******* City, I know you must be trolling. There are two meth labs for every man, woman and child in that county.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Man, I hope your son's experience is the exception rather than the rule. There is no excuse for not paying attention to any recruit who is asked to visit the campus. We can no longer expect elite kids to want to come to Illinois just because it's the top in-state school, although that should give us an edge all things being equal. Thanks for your input.
Why do you say "us"? Nobody believes you.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadog View Post
Definitely not bashing Poeta, actually rooting for him to strengthen the program, just very disappointed with the lack of quality depth at half the weights and next years class so far
I'm sure that eight months into your job you had figured out how to cook two burgers at the same time. Who are these people, and why are they trolling an ILLINI board?
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

THE STINKY-*** TROLL CHALLENGE

Seems like we have some trolls here. From Iowa? Daddy's little tiger not good enough to wear the Orange and Blue? I don't know. Don't care.

I would like to see you put your money where your cowardly anonymous mouths are. Here's how you do that:

1. Donate $50 to the IRTC.
2. Put a copy of the email you receive in this thread.
3. You can snip out any personal info.

I think most of you folks are trolls. Prove me wrong. Help out a good cause.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
THE STINKY-*** TROLL CHALLENGE

Seems like we have some trolls here. From Iowa? Daddy's little tiger not good enough to wear the Orange and Blue? I don't know. Don't care.

I would like to see you put your money where your cowardly anonymous mouths are. Here's how you do that:

1. Donate $50 to the IRTC.
2. Put a copy of the email you receive in this thread.
3. You can snip out any personal info.

I think most of you folks are trolls. Prove me wrong. Help out a good cause.

GO ILLINI!!!
You crack me up, you really do. I have family who have attended, and wrestled for, the University. I graduated from law school there and have been donating to the school for decades ever since. Oh, and I also donated to the IRTC, even before you did. The fact you are unable to look rationally at the team does not make others who disagree with you out to be trolls. Go Illini!!! Does that make you feel better?
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
You crack me up, you really do. I have family who have attended, and wrestled for, the University. I graduated from law school there and have been donating to the school for decades ever since. Oh, and I also donated to the IRTC, even before you did. The fact you are unable to look rationally at the team does not make others who disagree with you out to be trolls. Go Illini!!! Does that make you feel better?
Post a receipt.

Talk Is cheap.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 03-14-2018
Varsity

Either I am a moron (quite possible) or some people on here are very sensitive (also very likely). I did not see any trolling just people giving their opinion. Lets face it. A lot of reasons we are losing the best recruits are intangibles and differ from kid to kid. For someone to throw out a reason or two probably means that they have seen that in an instance or two. None of the reasons are universal. How about we foster discussion instead of insulting people and trying to shut them down. Just an idea.
Old 03-14-2018
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
Either I am a moron (quite possible) or some people on here are very sensitive (also very likely). I did not see any trolling just people giving their opinion. Lets face it. A lot of reasons we are losing the best recruits are intangibles and differ from kid to kid. For someone to throw out a reason or two probably means that they have seen that in an instance or two. None of the reasons are universal. How about we foster discussion instead of insulting people and trying to shut them down. Just an idea.
Not "some" people.