Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 6 Days Ago
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrestling View Post
College wrestling is much more "pressure packed" than high school.
Did you ever wrestle in college or have a kid wrestle in college?

MY experience is HS was easily the most pressure I have seen. College is MUCH more difficult. MUCH more of a grind. Lots of great wrestlers who love the sport just aren't willing to put up with the nearly insane demands of NCAA D1 wrestling.

But in terms of psychological/emotional pressure? High School hands down.
Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post

MY experience is HS was easily the most pressure I have seen. College is MUCH more difficult. MUCH more of a grind. Lots of great wrestlers who love the sport just aren't willing to put up with the nearly insane demands of NCAA D1 wrestling.

Yes I did and obviously it's going to differ from person to person but generally I would say there's more pressure to perform in college.

But now you're contradicting yourself. "Insane demands of NCAA D1 wrestling" sounds like psychological pressure to me.

So Rudy who made it through the psychological/emotional burden of high school suddenly quit wrestling in college when all the pressure was off? That doesn't sound right.

There's way more high school wrestlers that make it than college ones. Sure, you're not going from 8 hours of school straight to 3 hours of wrestling practice anymore. You usually only have about 4 college classes at a time so that takes some pressure off but it's put back on with the need to perform in order to maintain a starting spot or risk losing a scholarship. (Side note: did this change in the last year where now you can't lose promised money anymore?)
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post

I also wrestled in college and found the pressure there to be much greater than in high school. In high school, there were only a few (3-4) guys at your weight who were really skilled, so you did not feel the presssure the rest of the time. In college, every guy you wrestled was pretty good, and if you were on scholarship (as I was), you felt added pressure to perform well.
Old 5 Days Ago
Double stud

My experience as an athlete and my sons experiences as athletes in HS were always dogged by the shadow of having much of your entire life future riding on your athletic performances over essentially 1.5 years of your career. Sophomore offseason and junior year pretty much determine your athletic opportunities, scholarship opportunities, and by extension, your school and future opportunities.

They were both happy to only have sport pressure once they got into college.

HS is harrowing in itself imo, even for non-athletes. It's a lot of fun but you have very small margin for error in certain critical areas.
Sponsored Links