Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Shannon's Blog

Old 06-10-2009
Wrestling Media

Been away, and need some assistance

Hey guys. Long time no see. Too long, as far as I can tell. I hope to do something about that next season. Of course, two guys I followed for three years running -- Adam Sheley and Cameron Vance, who were on the Times' season preview cover photo -- both won state titles and I wasn't there to see it.

Look for something I'm putting together with all the local western Illinois champs, a roundtable of sorts, that I hope to publish here in early July (Joe Roth and Ryan Gilbert, I'm looking for you, so please PM me, or someone who has their contact info please do so).

But for now, I need some help, and the kind of help I need, the wrestling community is the perfect community to give it.

Those of you who've seen me know that I'm not exactly a small person. It didn't always used to be that way. I ran 20 miles a week not all that long ago, though I never could have been considered to be as well-conditioned as any wrestler.

I need to work some of this extra baggage off and I need to do it safely, and within the confines of my employment situation. I work days until 4 p.m., though often it can be later, as I work in a deadline environment. Then I work nights for two different Iowa-side newspapers (that may change, one never knows, but for now it is what it is). So I am often gone and on the run from 7 a.m. until midnight, five nights a week, plus usually long days on Saturdays.

For those of you who don't know me personally, think of it this way: A very out-of-shape heavyweight has just joined your wrestling team. He needs to get down to 285 (sadly, this is my case as well, I'd actually like to get below that, but goals are goals). Think of him as not very athletic. I know that a wrestling coach would be a lot more aggressive with a teenager in this condition than someone offering would be to a fellow wrestling-community member, but if anyone knows how to lose weight and get into shape safely, it's a wrestler.

Please feel free to comment. Speak freely if you feel the need, but I really need to hear from you, so if you're more comfortable sending private messages, that's fine too. You can even rip me for letting myself go. You won't beat me up any more so than I do myself, but if you also offer some assistance, I'm even more likely to listen.

I have four children, one of whom thinks he wants to wrestle for Moline in about six or seven years. I would prefer, all other things being equal, to be able to see him do that, and see my other children grow up and have families of their own -- not to mention watch several more Illinois state tournaments. You have no idea how much missing this year's -- after being on site for each of the past eight -- killed me. So this is a serious blog about a serious matter, and I've come to appreciate you here. I need your assistance, more than at any other time.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your responses.

Last edited by Timesfreelanceguy; 06-10-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: adding more to post
Old 06-10-2009
Varsity

Just a few quick tips.

1. It takes oxygen to burn fat, so if you aren't able to breathe, you aren't burning fat. So the main goal is to get your heart rate up for an extended period of time rather than sprint till you drop.

2. It is better to have multiple workouts in a day rather than one extra long workout.

3. I have been told in the past that 20 minutes is a good goal for short workouts that will get your heart rate up and your body will continue to break down fat after the work out. My suggestion would try and jog or some other form of activity to break up the routine of just jogging.

4. Swimming is one of the best forms since it truly is a full body workout. It also may help reduce some of the stress of your joints from running.

So I would suggest trying to maybe swim 20 minutes 3 times a week and then jog for 20 minutes 5 times a week.

Good Luck with your goals
Old 06-11-2009
Varsity

One last thing,

Don't try too hard in the early workouts. If your body tells you to skip a workout in the first couple weeks then skip the workout. Just make sure that you are slowly increasing your workouts at a pace that you are comfortable with.
Old 06-14-2009

Stop eating

Stop eating or drinking anything but water after dinner. Cut out fried foods. Cut down on red meat and pop. Do this without cheating and you'll lose 30lbs in a month even if you don't work out.
Old 06-26-2009

walk briskly

I've also found that I burned more calories walking briskly on an incline than I did jogging or sprinting, not to mention it gives your legs a decent workout too. Also, find out what your daily calorie intake should be in accordance with your weightloss goals and try to stay around that number. I found a great site that helps keep track of your calories and will also calculate your daily calorie intake. www.myfitnesspal.com Good luck and please keep us updated!
Old 06-27-2009
Varsity

White flour is a HUGE problem. Cut it down, not necessarily out, and you will accelerate your results. There's a great book called Abs Power Diet that gives you more of a lifestyle than a diet that is achievable and maintainable.
Old 06-29-2009
Varsity

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcradle View Post
I've also found that I burned more calories walking briskly on an incline than I did jogging or sprinting, not to mention it gives your legs a decent workout too. Also, find out what your daily calorie intake should be in accordance with your weightloss goals and try to stay around that number. I found a great site that helps keep track of your calories and will also calculate your daily calorie intake. www.myfitnesspal.com Good luck and please keep us updated!

Thanks for sharing this website. It is really a great tool! I am getting married in 4 months and this is going to help me get back to where I want to be.
Old 09-21-2012
Varsity

I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcradle View Post
I just checked out that web site--looks great and will be a valuable tool. I need to lose about 20-25 pounds and can use all the help I can get. Thanks for posting the link!
Old 09-21-2012
hawkeye 4 life

No pork products of any kind, and don't eat after 8:30
Old 10-03-2012
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
I have had issues with needed to lose weight for the past few years due liver disease. The best thing I can advise you with is to keep up your exercise program and limit your calorie intake each day. I keep mine around 1800-1500 per day. I have been able to shed pounds easily, it is very tough at first putting up with being hungry a majority of the time but give it a month or so and your body will begin to adjust. You will notice a big difference in no time.

- Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links