Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-27-2017
Mike Hunt's Avatar
Mike Hunt Mike Hunt is offline
Entitled
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapout_machine View Post
The absence of Bryce Brill on the wrestling mats has been heart breaking. Terrible way to see a career come to an end. In the last year or so I have spent a lot of time thinking about the impact he would have made, in the Ncaa Ranks.

Really there is no way to tell just how good he would of been. As far as rankings go, he was ranked higher then Nolf or Zain in high school. Not that it always matters. Something else to consider is his lost to Jake Short. Jake has been less then impressive in his college career, so maybe Brill would of faced similar struggles.

All of this has got me wondering about other missed opportunities in the Illinois wrestling world. A few that pop to mind are Israel Martinez, Steve williams, Adarios Jones, Tim Wright, Hubert Thompson, Rapheal Wilson, and Brad Owens. I'm sure there are many more that I do not know or have just forgotten.

Bryce Brill: Like all of these he would of been matched up in some tough weights, with some real studs. Some of his major competition in the college ranks would be Nolf, Imar, and Kemmerer. I see Bryce hanging with or beating any of these guys. But I would also not be surprised to see Nolf or Imar win either. I could see Bryce as a 4x AA with one National Title. How do you think he would of fared??

Israel Martinez: He would of been in the same weight class and years as Troy Letters, Johnny Hendricks, a Perry, a Paulson. Again some very tough competition but so was Izzy. I could see Izzy as a 4x AA with 1 National title wrestling division 1 for Iowa. How do you think he would of fared?

Steve Williams: Speaking of tough competition Steve's opponents would of been monsters. Tj Jarowsky, Cary Kolat, billy Hughes, Possiblly Ironside, or Mcginess depending on weights, maybe Bill Zadick. Based on the success his brothers had wrestling in the black and gold, its easy to think Steve would have enjoyed the same. In my opinion Steve is the hardest to predict. Only winning 2 state titles instead of 4 like his brothers, leads so to believe he was not on the same level. But in his High School career he had wins over Division 1 national champion Ernest Benion, and 3x Ncaa division 3 national champion Raphel Wilson, and both where domination. On top of that Joe has referred to Steve as the family champion on a multiple occasions. Still he is facing some all time greats in division 1 wrestling. Depending on weight class I see him as another 4x AA with 1 National title. What do you think??

Adarios Jones: Left his division 1 wrestling career behind for division 3 competition. He earned AA honors at this level finishing 3rd, he is currently the top ranked wrestler in the nation at that level, and will likely finish his career with 2 national titles. The question is how would he of fared wrestling division 1. In high school he won 3 nation titles his senior year. (but failed to win sectionals) He lost a close one to Iowa's Sam Stoll who has been slowed by injuries. I could see Adarios being a 2x AA in division 1 finishing 8th and 6th. How do you think he would of fared?

Tim Wright: The first ever 4x national champion in college history was from right here in Illinois. Unfortunately he wrestled for SIE and not the fighting illini. So his titles are division 11 titles. He did wrestle another year in division 1 and achieved all american status. How would he of fared with 4 years division 1???

Rapheal Wilson: Was a highly intelligent and lightning fast 3x national champion from Augustana College in Rock Island. How would he of fared wrestling division 1? He would of been competing against Tj jarowski, or John Hughes depending on weight other noteables from 1995 include Zadick and Ironside. I say he finishes as an AA placing 5th as a senior. What says you??

Brad Owens: He would of graduated college in 2003 and would of faced some very tough competition in Teyon Ware or Eric Larkin, depending which weight class he ended up at. We can use Ryan Berger's success as a
measuring stick. Best case senerio i see for Brad is a 1x AA. What do you think??

Hubert Thompson: Graduated high school in 97 after winning 2 state titles. How would this giant of fared in the college ranks? During his college career he would of ran into some all time greats. World champion Stephan Neal, Ufc/WWf champion Brock Lesnar,Tommy Rowlands and 2x Ncaa Champion Steve Mocco, just to name a few. One thing about Hubert I remember is that he was not a great wrestler and just got by with speed and his amazing strength. Add 5 years of college coaching and great training partners, to his incredible physical traits and he may of been unstoppable. He had a high school win over 2x AA Jake Vercilli, a match he was not really challenged in. I say the sky was the limit to his potential. What do you say?

I hope you enjoyed this post, and I can't wait to see some of your opinions and feedback.
Hubert Thompson simply out muscled everyone. He wasn't what I'd called a true wrestler. Had no offense and would overpower dudes after they'd attempt a move. He was that strong.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2018
Big Toe's Avatar
Big Toe Big Toe is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 109
IMO, Steve Williams would have been a beast at Iowa. But on a side note, he got a lucky call in sectionals his Sr year. From my point of view (I was matside warming up) and I believe it was in the semi's. He was pinned by Keith Snyder (Marist) and it wasn't called.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2018
BARR's Avatar
BARR BARR is offline
Hail to the Victors
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapout_machine View Post
The absence of Bryce Brill on the wrestling mats has been heart breaking. Terrible way to see a career come to an end. In the last year or so I have spent a lot of time thinking about the impact he would have made, in the Ncaa Ranks.

Really there is no way to tell just how good he would of been. As far as rankings go, he was ranked higher then Nolf or Zain in high school. Not that it always matters. Something else to consider is his lost to Jake Short. Jake has been less then impressive in his college career, so maybe Brill would of faced similar struggles.

All of this has got me wondering about other missed opportunities in the Illinois wrestling world. A few that pop to mind are Israel Martinez, Steve williams, Adarios Jones, Tim Wright, Hubert Thompson, Rapheal Wilson, and Brad Owens. I'm sure there are many more that I do not know or have just forgotten.

Bryce Brill: Like all of these he would of been matched up in some tough weights, with some real studs. Some of his major competition in the college ranks would be Nolf, Imar, and Kemmerer. I see Bryce hanging with or beating any of these guys. But I would also not be surprised to see Nolf or Imar win either. I could see Bryce as a 4x AA with one National Title. How do you think he would of fared??

Israel Martinez: He would of been in the same weight class and years as Troy Letters, Johnny Hendricks, a Perry, a Paulson. Again some very tough competition but so was Izzy. I could see Izzy as a 4x AA with 1 National title wrestling division 1 for Iowa. How do you think he would of fared?

Steve Williams: Speaking of tough competition Steve's opponents would of been monsters. Tj Jarowsky, Cary Kolat, billy Hughes, Possiblly Ironside, or Mcginess depending on weights, maybe Bill Zadick. Based on the success his brothers had wrestling in the black and gold, its easy to think Steve would have enjoyed the same. In my opinion Steve is the hardest to predict. Only winning 2 state titles instead of 4 like his brothers, leads so to believe he was not on the same level. But in his High School career he had wins over Division 1 national champion Ernest Benion, and 3x Ncaa division 3 national champion Raphel Wilson, and both where domination. On top of that Joe has referred to Steve as the family champion on a multiple occasions. Still he is facing some all time greats in division 1 wrestling. Depending on weight class I see him as another 4x AA with 1 National title. What do you think??

Adarios Jones: Left his division 1 wrestling career behind for division 3 competition. He earned AA honors at this level finishing 3rd, he is currently the top ranked wrestler in the nation at that level, and will likely finish his career with 2 national titles. The question is how would he of fared wrestling division 1. In high school he won 3 nation titles his senior year. (but failed to win sectionals) He lost a close one to Iowa's Sam Stoll who has been slowed by injuries. I could see Adarios being a 2x AA in division 1 finishing 8th and 6th. How do you think he would of fared?

Tim Wright: The first ever 4x national champion in college history was from right here in Illinois. Unfortunately he wrestled for SIE and not the fighting illini. So his titles are division 11 titles. He did wrestle another year in division 1 and achieved all american status. How would he of fared with 4 years division 1???

Rapheal Wilson: Was a highly intelligent and lightning fast 3x national champion from Augustana College in Rock Island. How would he of fared wrestling division 1? He would of been competing against Tj jarowski, or John Hughes depending on weight other noteables from 1995 include Zadick and Ironside. I say he finishes as an AA placing 5th as a senior. What says you??

Brad Owens: He would of graduated college in 2003 and would of faced some very tough competition in Teyon Ware or Eric Larkin, depending which weight class he ended up at. We can use Ryan Berger's success as a
measuring stick. Best case senerio i see for Brad is a 1x AA. What do you think??

Hubert Thompson: Graduated high school in 97 after winning 2 state titles. How would this giant of fared in the college ranks? During his college career he would of ran into some all time greats. World champion Stephan Neal, Ufc/WWf champion Brock Lesnar,Tommy Rowlands and 2x Ncaa Champion Steve Mocco, just to name a few. One thing about Hubert I remember is that he was not a great wrestler and just got by with speed and his amazing strength. Add 5 years of college coaching and great training partners, to his incredible physical traits and he may of been unstoppable. He had a high school win over 2x AA Jake Vercilli, a match he was not really challenged in. I say the sky was the limit to his potential. What do you say?

I hope you enjoyed this post, and I can't wait to see some of your opinions and feedback.

That was the only time Jake beat Bryce in multiple career matchups, but I choose to look at his loss to Jake like this.... Bryce lost to Jake in the semis of the Cheesehead his Sophomore year. Jake beat Bo Nickal, who was also a Sophomore, in the finals that year. So maybe Bryce would have won multiple NCAA titles like Bo has.

All kidding aside, great topic and it's really a shame none of these guys were able to find out what they would have been able to accomplish in D1 wrestling.
__________________
"When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-10-2018
bwm57 bwm57 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 816
Is Bryce still assistant coaching at NU?

Last edited by bwm57; 07-11-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2018
mckbln's Avatar
mckbln mckbln is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: River Forest, IL
Posts: 9,794
Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARR View Post
That was the only time Jake beat Bryce in multiple career matchups, but I choose to look at his loss to Jake like this.... Bryce lost to Jake in the semis of the Cheesehead his Sophomore year. Jake beat Bo Nickal, who was also a Sophomore, in the finals that year. So maybe Bryce would have won multiple NCAA titles like Bo has.

All kidding aside, great topic and it's really a shame none of these guys were able to find out what they would have been able to accomplish in D1 wrestling.
There is NO doubt in my mind that barring the injuries, Bryce would have been very successful.
__________________



"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-12-2018
BARR's Avatar
BARR BARR is offline
Hail to the Victors
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm57 View Post
Is Bryce still assistant coaching at NU?

He is no longer coaching at NU. He graduated last month and starts his job next week.
__________________
"When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-12-2018
bwm57 bwm57 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 816
Good for him!! It’s a shame he couldn’t wrestle, but the NU degree will help make up for that in his future.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-12-2018
pcc club coach pcc club coach is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: chenoa
Posts: 1,107
Brill would have been a force. Another one Congenie. Wish at Cornell we could have seen him healthy. Illinois has had a few hammers in college because of injuries not be able to compete. Part of why the last few years our AA numbers are low.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-12-2018
bwm57 bwm57 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 816
Congenie was terrific!!
He’s another example of how important it is to go to a good school as you never know how long wrestling is going to last.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-13-2018
goodwrestling goodwrestling is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc club coach View Post
Brill would have been a force. Another one Congenie. Wish at Cornell we could have seen him healthy. Illinois has had a few hammers in college because of injuries not be able to compete. Part of why the last few years our AA numbers are low.
Congenie had been healthy. He didn't break the lineup.

http://cornellbigred.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=35278
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.