Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztagirl35 View Post
That is so arrogant! Originally you insult my nephew saying he abandoned his team and now you insult people trying to answer my question.
As of today I learned he approached his coaches and asked if he could wrestle JV to get his confidence back. He had an equal number of matches on both varsity and JV during the season. He had a losing record on varsity and only had one win in his conference. He was wrestling some of the top ranked wrestlers in the state were his conference. His parents helped make the decision for him to make the step back to JV. They were aware that he would not be able to wrestle regionals due to that choice. They found no rules to support that policy they still did not dispute it. The tricky part was when 3 or more kids in the exact situation as my nephew on the same team who were both Varsity and JV wrestlers were allowed to wrestle Varsity regionals and JV conference. Then the week of varsity conference he was out sick so he couldn't have competed due to illness. So he competed in JV regionals the following week and took 2nd place. This is when his parents were made aware that the other kids were allowed to wrestle JV conference and varsity regionals when he had to make a choice was not wrestling because of THAT choice and the coaches forfeited the weight class. His season was over while the others got to go on. The only explanation was that he was forced to make the choice, while the others were not forced to make that same choice under the same circumstances. He fell within the number of tournaments allowed by IHSA. Rules are made for the masses. I only want to find examples or hard and fast rules to either support or dispute the actions taken against my nephew. I am certainly not looking for extra drama especially from adults inside the development of student athletes. Drama is saved for that department and athletes are born out of character building experiences from adults that know how to differentiate the two things. Thank you so much for your examples and rules to help me better understand how to build this young athlete up.
Without asking the coaches why they sat him you will never know.Many reasons why a coach would sit a kid missing practice,not working hard in the room,bad weight management or not improving enough to compete at that level.
Old 1 Week Ago
Olympian

Question

Quote:
That is so arrogant! Originally you insult my nephew saying he abandoned his team and now you insult people trying to answer my question.
As of today I learned he approached his coaches and asked if he could wrestle JV to get his confidence back. He had an equal number of matches on both varsity and JV during the season. He had a losing record on varsity and only had one win in his conference. He was wrestling some of the top ranked wrestlers in the state were his conference. His parents helped make the decision for him to make the step back to JV. They were aware that he would not be able to wrestle regionals due to that choice. They found no rules to support that policy they still did not dispute it. The tricky part was when 3 or more kids in the exact situation as my nephew on the same team who were both Varsity and JV wrestlers were allowed to wrestle Varsity regionals and JV conference. Then the week of varsity conference he was out sick so he couldn't have competed due to illness. So he competed in JV regionals the following week and took 2nd place. This is when his parents were made aware that the other kids were allowed to wrestle JV conference and varsity regionals when he had to make a choice was not wrestling because of THAT choice and the coaches forfeited the weight class. His season was over while the others got to go on. The only explanation was that he was forced to make the choice, while the others were not forced to make that same choice under the same circumstances. He fell within the number of tournaments allowed by IHSA. Rules are made for the masses. I only want to find examples or hard and fast rules to either support or dispute the actions taken against my nephew. I am certainly not looking for extra drama especially from adults inside the development of student athletes. Drama is saved for that department and athletes are born out of character building experiences from adults that know how to differentiate the two things. Thank you so much for your examples and rules to help me better understand how to build this young athlete up.
JV Regionals? No such thing.
Old 1 Week Ago
hawkeye 4 life

Coaches make the team rules no matter how fair or unfair they may be.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
i'm with you Nelson, what in the heck is JV Regionials?
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherthrowyathenknowya View Post
Did you not say he abandoned his team for a meaningless jv medal and then agree with coaches for not letting him wrestle if he indeed chose to wrestle jv .Zita stated he lost most varsity matches and also wrestled both Jv and varsity throughout the season.Those varsity losses will help him in the long run. The kid has every right to compete at jv or varsity conference unless like Turban mentioned he is Kamal Bey type or a freshman like Gaynor who is a obvious varsity all state talent
A good coach wil care enough about the confidence of his wrestler and give him a chance to be rewarded for the effort he gave on varsity where he lost mostly.He deserves the chance at that " meaningless JvMedal"rather then end the regular season in varsity conference tournament which will be seeded and he will catch a#1or #2 seed and lose twice..
Loss after loss on any level by an underclassman can certainly make wrestling miserable and i would like to know how he finished on jv ...

I will bend a little and say if the team race on varsity was a reality and he was your best option for a few wrestleback points i may try to persuade him
Based off her statements the kid went jv by choice therefore the staff punished him and not only prevented him from a frosh experience in a regional and as weak as some regionals were this year he possiblycould have had a sectional experience as a frosh instead they chose to vacate the class.

Does not a filling a weight at regionals fall under abandonment to the other 13 weights as a team .He wrestled some varsity throughout the year but now he not worthy of the chance instead a forfeit.
Those coaches should be ashamed of themselves unless Zita has come with a viable explanation as to why but as this
Has every right to decide when he wants to compete on varsity and when he doesn’t? He absolutely has the right to refuse to wrestle varsity, but as far as I am concerned, once you refuse to wrestle varsity, you give up your varsity spot. There is no coming and going as you please. The coaches made him aware of the repercussions of not wrestling varsity before his decision was final. So to say “shame on the coaches” for sticking to their guns is laughable. I wish this wrestler the best in his career, I just think it’s laughable that there is a witch hunt going on for a coaching staff who did what 90% of coaching staffs would do.

Finally, I would normally not do this, but since you called me a loser and a bun for saying what it seems like the majority of the reasonable people on this thread agree with, your username should use the word THAN not THEN. That’s a pretty permanent mistake, that is the equivalent of the “no ragrets” tattoo. So just remember that the next time you are posting something making fun of someone, that person will just immediately disregard everything you say because it is coming from a username littered with typos.
Old 1 Week Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pin2win171 View Post
Has every right to decide when he wants to compete on varsity and when he doesn’t? He absolutely has the right to refuse to wrestle varsity, but as far as I am concerned, once you refuse to wrestle varsity, you give up your varsity spot. There is no coming and going as you please. The coaches made him aware of the repercussions of not wrestling varsity before his decision was final. So to say “shame on the coaches” for sticking to their guns is laughable. I wish this wrestler the best in his career, I just think it’s laughable that there is a witch hunt going on for a coaching staff who did what 90% of coaching staffs would do.

Finally, I would normally not do this, but since you called me a loser and a bun for saying what it seems like the majority of the reasonable people on this thread agree with, your username should use the word THAN not THEN. That’s a pretty permanent mistake, that is the equivalent of the “no ragrets” tattoo. So just remember that the next time you are posting something making fun of someone, that person will just immediately disregard everything you say because it is coming from a username littered with typos.
Maybe it's not a typo. He wants to throw ya then introduce himself.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Maybe it's not a typo. He wants to throw ya then introduce himself.
true! I guess I should not make any assumptions!
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by calotofwrestling View Post
Without asking the coaches why they sat him you will never know.Many reasons why a coach would sit a kid missing practice,not working hard in the room,bad weight management or not improving enough to compete at that level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pin2win171 View Post

See! That's why I prefaced saying I was a cheer coach! I am so sorry I keep confusing regionals and sectionals. I am trying to keep it all straight.

I do understand many reasons why coaches make decisions especially to teach a lesson. However hopefully the lesson would be outlined so the student will be able to identify and correct for the next time. That lesson has not been outlined for my nephew and currently the integrity of that decision is in question. This makes young minds less trusting of the very adults that are meant to develop them.
Lastly some of these usernames are quite humorous and hard to take with a straight face. However I don't think name calling would have ensued had we not have used words like "abandoned". I know guys are extra sensitive about the sports you hold in such high regard, just like my nephew. I am just in search of hard rules or examples. I don't know that 90% of the readers on this forum agree with the decision that was made, but it has been interesting to see the inconsistencies. Lastly in speaking of grammar, what exactly is a "bun?" Let's leave the salties for the mat. Thanks for your examples or rules that you may have to help me guide this young youth to a better understanding in a decision that has left him feeling lost.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Smile

Quote:
See! That's why I prefaced saying I was a cheer coach! I am so sorry I keep confusing regionals and sectionals. I am trying to keep it all straight.

I do understand many reasons why coaches make decisions especially to teach a lesson. However hopefully the lesson would be outlined so the student will be able to identify and correct for the next time. That lesson has not been outlined for my nephew and currently the integrity of that decision is in question. This makes young minds less trusting of the very adults that are meant to develop them.
Lastly some of these usernames are quite humorous and hard to take with a straight face. However I don't think name calling would have ensued had we not have used words like "abandoned". I know guys are extra sensitive about the sports you hold in such high regard, just like my nephew. I am just in search of hard rules or examples. I don't know that 90% of the readers on this forum agree with the decision that was made, but it has been interesting to see the inconsistencies. Lastly in speaking of grammar, what exactly is a "bun?" Let's leave the salties for the mat. Thanks for your examples or rules that you may have to help me guide this young youth to a better understanding in a decision that has left him feeling lost.
A bun is a piece of bread that you put some sort of meat on and I will not sit here and be called one!! JK I’m not even 100% sure if they still have this, but have your nephew look into frosh/soph state. It takes place after regular state and is ran through AAU, not the ihsa. Could give him that sectionals/state experience he was hoping for, and even better, he doesn’t need to be coached by his high school coaches for it since it’s an AAU tournament (if there is bad blood). Good luck
Sponsored Links