Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeis View Post
True, but unfortunately we all know majority do. Let's be honest, it's the parents wanting or making them cut & not the kids themselves especially a 5-8 yr old. Look at this year's wrestlers list for bantam state or list from years past. See how many kids weigh the same or less than what they did the previous year. Some parents will have their <10yr old child cut 5-10x/yr & 5-10% of body weight. We all know the kids who do this. The irony and not to sound insulting is it's not like their parents look like they live in a gym or have great diets. But the truth is few kids wrestle their natural weight. If all kids did, very few would even have a chance & their parents know it but can't accept it. But to each is own. Hard telling someone how to raise their kid. But I agree, tots & bantams cutting weight especially when it's a few lbs is ridiculous.
How many kids do you think are cutting more than a lb? I really don't see many kids cutting that much, especially when you have blocked weights. Interesting to see this discussion because my son has been weighing around 50.5/51 and we were talking with some parents and the conversation veered towards cutting to 49lb for Bantam state which I hadn't even considered. Would love to hear some opinions on this subject. Would you have your kids do it?
Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
How many kids do you think are cutting more than a lb? I really don't see many kids cutting that much, especially when you have blocked weights. Interesting to see this discussion because my son has been weighing around 50.5/51 and we were talking with some parents and the conversation veered towards cutting to 49lb for Bantam state which I hadn't even considered. Would love to hear some opinions on this subject. Would you have your kids do it?
How many kids do I think cut more than 1 lb? I'd say 75%. If a kid weighs as an example 50.5, 53.4,57, 59.5, 64 etc etc, il say 75%+ are cutting to 49, 52, 55, 58, 62 etc etc. So yes il say 75%+ cut 1lb or more, 50%+ cut
2lbs or more, il say 25% cut almost 3lbs. And 5-10% cut almost 3-4lbs. They may not do it in 1 week but some may already have began cutting & will hold when reach that weight whether it be for 1 min as they step on that scale or 2 weeks if it is the case for whatever circumstance. Would I have my kid or kids do it... NO. I don't live through my kids. Would I let my kids do it if they chose to, YES but w/n reason. I won't name names cuz it's no 1s business but I could rattle off 20 kids in 1 minute that are already registered that will for sure be cutting more than 1 lb. By tourney I'm sure w/n 1 min I can name same amt of kids cutting near 3 lbs. Look at last year's tournament and various other tournaments that started last year's season. Look at kids weights. Compare that to the kids who did good. You can do the same this year, last year, or year before that. And I'm not talking kids >100lbs. Il go as far to say 10+ kids will lose between 4-5 lbs. Just an example but a kid near 70.5 may cut to 66, a kid 63 naturally may cut to 58, 55 may cut to 52. Very few kids go their natural weight and even less are hammers that go their natural weight. But don't get me wrong, there are exceptions. There are a handful of kids that don't cut a single lb and are at their legit weight that can step on a scale after breakfast, make weight, and easily beat every kid at whatever weight. This scenerio is rare but does happen. I can but won't name plenty of these names, this year and in years past. Congrats not to those parents but to those kids who put in the hard work and are naturally that gifted. Anyone that says this isn't the case is either naive, blind, or lying.
Old 5 Days Ago
Varsity

Year 2013 go to weigh in get on scale weight is 66.2,weight. Class is 66 ,man running the scale ask my son if he wants to lose the 2 tenths son looks at me and says what do you think Dad,I said it's up to you ,he turns to the man at the scale and says no I'm going to Dellrays for chicken instead of running with the other 50 off so kids trying to lose weight,wrestled at 70#, the belt is hanging on his bedpost
Old 5 Days Ago

1lb I don't really consider a weight cut. That's the difference of eating breakfast or not before a normal weekend tourney. When taking into account tots & bantams, I consider a weight cut 2-3 lbs & yes happens a lot. For people shocked by this, look at national events or kids who travel across the country. Go to Iowa for preseason nationals. You will see 1st & 2nd grade div plus 3rd & 4th grade divisions kids cutting 5-7lbs. These kids do it several times a year. Haven't you ever seen a 60 or 70lb kid competing at the limit wrestling someone who dwarfs him. If not, go to any nationals and if your kid is naturally at wt limit, wait til you see his avg competition sized kid. You will say "No chance he weighs same as my kid"
Old 5 Days Ago

The time of day that a weigh in is held makes a big difference. An avg kid on empty stomach in the morning can weigh 1 - 2lbs more at night. If weigh ins are at night, that is also taken into acct when figuring a weight not to mention if a kid has school on Friday and it's a Friday night weigh in.
Old 5 Days Ago

Definitely seen kids cutting which is whatever. My guy says he wants to go 49, last time he tried to lose a pound it was hilariously bad. He's currently signed up for 52

I will say whoever said take your kid to a national event at their natural weight and compare....spot on. It's unbelievable.
Old 2 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

I also agree that the majority of Bantams at national tournaments are cutting 2lbs or more, but that does not make it the right thing to do. My Bantam walks around at about 50.5, and we agreed to go 52. It might sound crazy to some, but I think we need to deemphasise the importance of winning 8 year old tournaments. Seriously, what is our goal: to win Bantam state by cutting weight, or to get better at wrestling by facing the best competition possible? It is really easy to be short sighted because we are all competitive as hell and so are most of our kids, but I still try to help my boys see the big picture. I am even (half sarcastically) urging my older son to bump to 55 to battle his buddy Luke. He would get his butt kicked, but he would also get a lot tougher, and that is what wrestling should be about at this age.
Old 2 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAK & BCK View Post
I also agree that the majority of Bantams at national tournaments are cutting 2lbs or more, but that does not make it the right thing to do. My Bantam walks around at about 50.5, and we agreed to go 52. It might sound crazy to some, but I think we need to deemphasise the importance of winning 8 year old tournaments. Seriously, what is our goal: to win Bantam state by cutting weight, or to get better at wrestling by facing the best competition possible? It is really easy to be short sighted because we are all competitive as hell and so are most of our kids, but I still try to help my boys see the big picture. I am even (half sarcastically) urging my older son to bump to 55 to battle his buddy Luke. He would get his butt kicked, but he would also get a lot tougher, and that is what wrestling should be about at this age.
Couple things. 1. Kids at national events are cutting a lot more than 2 lbs and this is for 5-8 yr olds. Kids for bantam state are cutting 2 lbs easily. I see some of these kids are listed 4-5lbs less than natural weight. Im not talking 112lb kids. Im talking <70lb, heck <55-60lb. I agree it's because parents want their bragging rights for kids more than the kids wants to go through hell cutting 4-5lbs. I wont mention names but some havent registered yet and some have that I'd say 30 kids <65lbs are cutting no less than 3-4lbs. 2. If your bumping your kid up to 55lb to face "luke," I'm not guessing, I'm positive you are referring to Luke foster. I respect that philosophy of not cutting or encouraging your kids to face the best competition out there. The fosters are great people. They done and are doing a great job raising Luke. He's a multisport athlete in which his parents don't live through him. He doesn't cut weight and his family let's him be himself, "a kid," and have fun. That said, he's a hammer and at his natural weight. Good luck & much respect for trying to encourage you child not to run from competition but to embrace it. It is what makes you better, win or lose. Cutting 5lbs when you weigh hypothetically 62lbs is ridiculous. When cutting 5lbs when your kid is only 50lbs is child abuse when your kid is 7 or 8yrs old. Don't know you but I respect your mindset. A shame parents of an 8 yr old force their kids to drop that much weight for an 8yr old trophy. Then they wonder why in 3 or 4yrs they don't want to wrestle. Those weight cuts, that young, stunt growth, hurt brain development, and the other kicker... you likely are so depleted, you run risk of getting smoked by kid you never seen coming. If a 8 yr old wants to lose couple lbs & is that driven, I accept that. When parents force that, it's pathetic
Old 12 Hours Ago
Varsity

Reminder

The deadline to register is this Thursday night or when we hit 650.

Satellite weigh ins locations and times
Central - Centennial High School 10a- noon

Central Chicago- Mt Carmel High School 10a-noon

North Chicago- Glenbrook South 10a-noon

North- Rochelle High School 10a-noon

South - Highland High School 10a-noon

South Chicago - Site TBD 10a-noon

West Chicago-SCN/The Barn (Northwest corner of Rote 47 & McDonald Road in Hampton Hills)-10a-Noon

West-Rock Island HS-6:30 am until 7:30 am ONLY!! This is the only time that this location will have a weigh in.

Seeding
The following wrestlers will be seeded
2017 Bantam Championship FINALISTS (1st and 2nd placers)
2017 Winter Nationals Champions (1st place ONLY)
2018 Future Finalist Champions (1st place ONLY)

NO OTHER CRITERIA WILL GET YOU SEEDED AT THIS EVENT

Elias Medina Bolingbrook Junior Raiders Wresting Club www.jrraiderswrestling.teampages.com 630-728-8809

Last edited by In the Know; 10 Hours Ago at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links