Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 03-19-2017

I second that. I would love to say thanks to Mr Ambrose and his crew. You where exactly right he lost the internet not his fault be quickly went old school and not missing a beat. The compaction was awesome. He said it would run until about 2:00 and almost to the minute. I don't have a horse in the race but have been there the past several years and it is always a blast. Keep up the good work very nice job.
Old 03-19-2017
Keep your head up

Ambrose and crew did a great job. Top notch.

As for the refereeing, there was one in particular that was pretty darn bad.
He made back to back calls in two different OT matches that were down right horrible and made no sense at all. One where he allowed the two kids to continue wrestling while they were both completely out of bounds, and then preceded to award an escape after the time had already ran out. Seriously he awarded the point while the two kids were literally both standing out of bounds as time expired. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

The kid's coach went ballistic. No matter. The ref was just like ... What ?

Last edited by ItsNotForEveryone; 03-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Wrestling View Post
No internet, blaring loudspeakers, moronic bracketing, substandard officiating and a location that should be wiped from the map. This tourney is something else, baby!!!
Because a tournament doesn't quite go the way you had hoped, doesn't mean that it was a poorly run event. On the contrary, John Ambrose and his team did a fantastic job keeping this event run smoothly.

Point 1 No internet, Not sure what you wanted the tournament team to do about this one. They didn't cause the outage. And instead of waiting for an undetermined time to get things going, they actually had a contingency p[lan and executed it pretty damn well. They did the best they could do with the problems they encountered, and still kept it running better than 90% of other tournaments. Bonus points for keeping the brackets updated as quickly as they did.

Point 2 Blaring loudspeakers, See point 1. They had to do what was necessary to keep the tournament running and get kids to their mat assignments with lack internet and track assignments. not sure what you would rather have had them do.

Point 3 Moronic bracketing, because your kid faced a tough matchup, doesn't make bracketing bad. They seeded the brackets accordingly and eventually your kid would have to wrestle a tough match. If you want a better draw, enter more events that count for seeding points and earn them. It was the midget championships. The closest thing to a state tournament for these kids. Earning that bracketboard isn't supposed to be easy. Weather a kid loses to in the 1st round or in the finals, the fact remains the kid lost and wasn't going to earn that title. Hopefully they were mentally tough enough to battle back through the consolation and earn that placement.

Point 4 Bad officiating, No more than any other tournament. There are and always will be questionable calls. These people are human. Everything is a judgement call. All we can ask for is they get a majority of those calls correct. And for the most part they do. But it will not ever be perfect or to your standards. Not in youth, Not in High school, and not is college wrestling. If you watched the NCAA finals you would have seen a number of questionable calls. you just have to battle through it and hopefully wrestlewell enough to not leave it in the hands of the officials.

Point 5 Location, While I might agree with this, the venue itself is not a bad place to watch a tournament. Its in central illinois. About equally accessible for the north and south. It is what it is. Personally I'd prefer up north, others would probably prefer down south. They split the difference. Perhaps in the future they will consider a venue change. But until that time, they provided the Midgets with a quality event and a well run one at that.

Great Job John and crew. looking forward to two more years of some of the toughest competition around. Time fo my lil dude to hit that offseason and hopefully translate that in to a bracketboard of his own.
Old 03-20-2017

I have been to many tournaments in my time at least i could say i could he the person tell you what mat to go to without any issues. That is why it ran so smooth. Again great job crew.
Old 03-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotForEveryone View Post
Ambrose and crew did a great job. Top notch.

As for the refereeing, there was one in particular that was pretty darn bad.
He made back to back calls in two different OT matches that were down right horrible and made no sense at all. One where he allowed the two kids to continue wrestling while they were both completely out of bounds, and then preceded to award an escape after the time had already ran out. Seriously he awarded the point while the two kids were literally both standing out of bounds as time expired. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

The kid's coach went ballistic. No matter. The ref was just like ... What ?
I watched this match too. Great battle between two tough wrestlers, with the winner most likely marching his way to the finals. Both kids were out of bounds and the time had expired... Ref throws up the 1 for the escape, while just staring down the losing head coach.... I would have lost it too.. This is the same ref who tried tossing the Waukegan coach out for politely questioning a call during the very first match on Sunday morning.. Guy was on a power trip, a real hothead.
Old 03-20-2017
hawkeye 4 life

i still think they should let the kids come out in the bumper cars for the grand march.
Old 03-20-2017
Keep your head up

The match before that one may have even been worse. If you can believe that.?.?
He called an escape as time expired even though the other kid still had the other kid's leg.
The kids coaches tried to argue their case. No luck of course.

It was so odd that the kid running the scoreboard didn't put the point up for a while.
It was like the ref was cognizant of the situation and wanted to make a call a certain way.

I don't care what anyone says, that is horrible refereeing if a guy is making a call based upon what period it is (OT/end of a match, etc). Some of these ref's get way to involved in these matches. Just make the right call for god sakes. It's really not that hard. Sometimes I can't help but feel they get a rush out oF throwing up their hand for points in dramatic fashion.
It is much more exciting for them then just waving their hands saying no points / no change.

Last edited by ItsNotForEveryone; 03-20-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2017

The tournament ran well, however they asked for volunteers to help run the tables and my 16 year old ran a table both days and all they offered him was a bottle of water at the end of day 1. When they announced to go and get lunch on day 2, the security guard wouldn't let him go and get it because he said all the table workers were already at their tables so he didn't believe that he was a table worker. NEVER AGAIN!
Old 03-20-2017

Hands down one of my favorite tournaments! There will always be glitches with technology that are out of our control. They recouped & kept it moving. Couldn't ask for much more! The Grand March always brings a tear to my eye. Such a cool experience for these wrestlers! Great job Ambrose & team!!! P.S. Those Ironman singlets are pretty sweet!
Old 03-20-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestler's Crazy Mom View Post
The tournament ran well, however they asked for volunteers to help run the tables and my 16 year old ran a table both days and all they offered him was a bottle of water at the end of day 1. When they announced to go and get lunch on day 2, the security guard wouldn't let him go and get it because he said all the table workers were already at their tables so he didn't believe that he was a table worker. NEVER AGAIN!
I don't have a horse in the race, BUT I worked a table and that is a bold face lie.

No security guard prevented any table worker from getting lunch on either day. Your 16 year old son must of been confused but hey why question your child's logic, they never are wrong, right.
Sponsored Links