Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Shannon's Blog

Old 11-15-2008
Wrestling Media

Some preseason deep thoughts

I'm looking forward to the new season, which for me starts a week from Tuesday with triple duals at East Moline (UT, to the locals here). I'm a little bummed that the event is on a Tuesday night, rather than the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. That always got me out of night-before-Thanksgiving shopping and other drudgery, and now I have no excuse. Sigh.

I'm assembling schedules (I still need ones for Rock Island, Orion, Aledo, Erie/Prophetstown and Sterling Newman), coach email addresses (I need personal or work emails for Galesburg, Sherrard and Rock Falls; PM me if you are a coach at one of these programs and read this) and organizing my files, which will be extensive by season's end.

I'm excited about some of the things I'm going to try to do. I want to extend our presence a little further in the NCIC, including Sterling, Rock Falls and Dixon. Those programs have so much intersection with teams closer in, we should include them as well. I have some other things I'm going to propose to our sports dept. leadership next week, and I'll let you know how that turns out in a future installment.

Here are some things that I would love to see every school do to help the media when it comes to wrestling events this season:

1. Publish rosters available to both media and fans.
2. Make sure that your wrestling books don't have a dark background on their pages. It makes faxed copies of results very difficult to read.
3. Make sure that statisticians know the spellings of the competing kids. Most mis-spelled names in the paper are a direct result of someone reading an incorrect name on the fax and typing it letter for letter, incorrectly.
4. If your coach calls in your results, make sure the person who calls knows spellings, also.
5. If you host a double dual, it would really be great if you would also report complete results from the two visiting schools, and not just your own duals. Obviously, there are events where this is too onerous a task -- all-day dual events, for example -- but a double dual doesn't add a lot of additional burden and saves a lot of back-tracking time.
6. If you host a tournament, PLEASE fax Illinois Matmen as well as your own local media. When my local teams travel to a far-out-of-town tournament, IM is the one place that I go to find results. Coaches don't always want to have to drive several hours back and then fax from their school at oh-dark-thirty in the morning after being gone since oh-dark-thirty the previous morning.

IMHO, IM is in the best-positioned place statewide to post results, so, please, use it for its intended purpose. If you want to see a wrestling web site that doesn't handle results well, go check out Predicament. It's like getting blood from a stone, finding tournament and dual results there.

So that's my soapbox moment. Please comment with any additional suggestions that wrestling programs can implement. Please PM me if you have particular comments for me, or if you have any questions that I can answer for you. Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by Timesfreelanceguy; 11-15-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2008
Olympian

Thanks for all you do for the sport of wreslting. You are a tribute to your profession. We could use a lot more sports journalists across the state who take such an interest in wrestling.

Great suggestions. I am going to email your comments to our AD and Head Coach, then see that they are followed.

To everyone else, make sure your team has a correspondent to enter results from your duals at Illinois Matmen.com All you have to do is follow the advice here (particularly the 'correct spelling'), Get the scores and log them in. It takes about 5 minutes, but the whole state benefits for months.

Good luck to everyone this season.
Sponsored Links