Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Shannon's Blog

Old 11-30-2008
Wrestling Media

Curiousity kills

I am curious to know how the newspapers that cover your wrestling teams -- whether daily papers, near-daily or weekly -- cover wrestling.

For writeups, are there full stories or more often short briefs that hit the highlights? Does your paper do rankings, assuming it's in a big enough market (use the nearest daily paper to you if your team is also covered by a weekly or bi-weekly).

For agate, what does your paper run? If they do full boxes, how do they set them up?

And, of course, I'd like to know how well your paper does it. Are their printed results accurate? Are they just short of the mark, or do they miss the mark completely?

This isn't just for the QC readers I have; I have a pretty good idea how the daily papers cover wrestling here. I'd like to know how wrestling is handled statewide.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please leave comments here.

One more thing: I'm looking for the best way to reach Dixon's and Rock Falls' coaches. Please PM with that information if you have insights; serious inquiries only, please.

Again, thanks for reading!
Shannon

Last edited by Timesfreelanceguy; 11-30-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: putting out another question
Old 12-01-2008
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesfreelanceguy View Post
I am curious to know how the newspapers that cover your wrestling teams -- whether daily papers, near-daily or weekly -- cover wrestling.

For writeups, are there full stories or more often short briefs that hit the highlights? Does your paper do rankings, assuming it's in a big enough market (use the nearest daily paper to you if your team is also covered by a weekly or bi-weekly).

For agate, what does your paper run? If they do full boxes, how do they set them up?

And, of course, I'd like to know how well your paper does it. Are their printed results accurate? Are they just short of the mark, or do they miss the mark completely?

This isn't just for the QC readers I have; I have a pretty good idea how the daily papers cover wrestling here. I'd like to know how wrestling is handled statewide.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please leave comments here.

One more thing: I'm looking for the best way to reach Dixon's and Rock Falls' coaches. Please PM with that information if you have insights; serious inquiries only, please.

Again, thanks for reading!
Shannon
Shannon, it doesn't look like you are getting to much feedback on your questions. RR Star does an OK job with box scores if they are sent to the paper. They did a little of both as far as features and recaps in the local area last year for SV, Dakota, Oregon, etc. and bigger events such as Sectionals at Byron. There are no rankings but they do use the rankings from IM in articles that pertain to the local wrestlers. They also did a little piece on some of the local IKWF kids who competed in Rockford. Still I wish someone on staff up this way was a little more passionate and knowledgeable about wrestling as you seem to be for the QC fans. I did not see anything in the paper, even results, about the Barrington tournament this past weekend. Hope this helps.

Last edited by SV WRSLNFAN; 12-01-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2008
Olympian

Shannon, I read the Beacon News, and the local Kendall County Record. The Beacon used to have Rick Armstrong who did a great job, and posted weekly 'Honor Rolls' of wrestlers with .750 records or better. He'd do a feature or two a week, cover conference tournaments, regional, sectional and local kids at state. Then an all area team. He was off the beat last year (maybe last two years). And it's been pretty thin. I saw a feature on Sunday from the Wheaton/Warrenville Tournament that featured West Aurora and Batavia (both local to the Beacon). Don't recall the byline, but maybe they have someone back on the beat. Specifically, they seem to enter boxes accurately if sent in. They beat reporter is forced to literally cover about 10 schools, and tends to write a feature about two a week --at most.

The Kendall County Record dates back to the Yorkville teams of the 1970's as the home town weekly. Had a great beat writter the last 5 or so years, Chris Maier. Unfortunately he's left the paper. There's a female reporter assigned to wrestling now. Not too impressed with the pre season coverage. We'll see how she does with Yorkville's strong win over Stillman Valley last week, and this week's conference openner with Sycamore and Saturday's Minooka/Libertyville/Joliet duals. Specifically, we get one feature a week that covers all Yorkville wrestling pretty much listing the scores for every individual victory. Loses are seldom mentioned, no boxes, but the feature covers for that pretty well. It's a headlined story every week for Yorkville wrestling, which is pretty good, a lot better than a lot of schools.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links