Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 09-18-2017
Olympian

Man was I wrong....maybe its time for a qb change, and someone said something funny, Glennon sure does have a skinny neck. Bet he never did one neck bridge in his life! At least the rookie is more mobile athletic...
Old 09-18-2017
Olympian

I am eating crow right now.........it tastes like chicken!
Old 09-18-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Man was I wrong....maybe its time for a qb change, and someone said something funny, Glennon sure does have a skinny neck. Bet he never did one neck bridge in his life! At least the rookie is more mobile athletic...
Several problems with a QB change right now. Fox needs to be competitive now to keep his job beyond this year. So he doesn't have time for rookie growing pains, is all in on the veteran and has to hope that Glennon snaps out of it to at least manage the game ala Orton. Fox is not interested in development for a future he will not be part of. They just spent a decent amount of dough on Glennon and it makes the brass look inept if he is benched after 2 games. Outside of Cohen the team is horrendous offensively with little help for any QB. It could really rattle a rookie's confidence and stunt his development to take the field with that group for an extended period. Not having competent receivers and a good Oline lead to poor footwork, not properly reading through progressions and hurried passes/premature scrambling.

I don't expect a QB change until they give up on the season, there is an injury or there is a midseason head coach or above change. If there is not significant progress in the next couple weeks hopefully they go all in on losing. 0 and 16 is better than 4 and 12 in my eyes as it makes everybody expendable and sets you up better for the future. The Bears won too many games last year IMO... cost us draft position.
Go Bears
Old 09-18-2017
Olympian

I doubt if Fox cares about keeping his job much, he knew what was coming when he took it... - its a retirement plan and would likely get a nice lump sum either way...Lovie made 8 million a year, don't know about Fox. How much does Lovie make at U of I...PS NIU Huskies just beat Nebraska - 4 out of 5 against Big 10 with this coach, now they just need to fix their school - used to be bigger then ISU, now getting 1/2 the enrollment of ISU...(NIU grad., they used to have a student wrestling tourney...I wonder if they still do...)
Old 09-25-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Glennon was 15 of 26 for 101 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int. Just the game manager the Bears needed when the defense only gives up 17 points (7 off of a short field after a turnover) and Howard/Cohen run for over 200 yards.

How about Marcus Cooper going all Leon Lett on that fumble return. His teammates picked him up to win the game but WTF.

Receiving corps still sucks. I think the Bears should do their own version of "top, bottom, out" by bringing in a new receiver (off a practice squad or unsigned) every week while releasing the receiver that has been in town the longest every week. Keep the guys that prove their worth and even if you wind up releasing em all at some point, at the very least you had a chance to evaluate more than a dozen additional guys for the position. Just don't keep around the same bunch of no names that aren't getting it done all season when there are so many other unproven/unknown guys to give a shot to. Might just find a gem or at minimum 2 guys that are ok at their job.
Old 09-25-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Glennon was 15 of 26 for 101 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int. Just the game manager the Bears needed when the defense only gives up 17 points (7 off of a short field after a turnover) and Howard/Cohen run for over 200 yards.

How about Marcus Cooper going all Leon Lett on that fumble return. His teammates picked him up to win the game but WTF.

Receiving corps still sucks. I think the Bears should do their own version of "top, bottom, out" by bringing in a new receiver (off a practice squad or unsigned) every week while releasing the receiver that has been in town the longest every week. Keep the guys that prove their worth and even if you wind up releasing em all at some point, at the very least you had a chance to evaluate more than a dozen additional guys for the position. Just don't keep around the same bunch of no names that aren't getting it done all season when there are so many other unproven/unknown guys to give a shot to. Might just find a gem or at minimum 2 guys that are ok at their job.
The Bears have a VERY SMALL margin for error with the team they are playing with. They can beat some good teams, but they can also get blown out just as easily. With a guy like Glennon in there, they are never going to be very good at playing from behind. You saw what they were forced to try to be against Tampa Bay. If you make them have to put it in the air, it's just going to be ugly. Playing with a lead helps suits both the offense and the defense. On defense, they can play the run a bit more honest and be less prone to big pass plays by virtue of what the safety is asked to do. On offense, they can pound the ball and where the other team out. Cohen and Howard made the Steelers look silly in that 4th quarter and OT. The key is putting points on the board early and minimizing the silly mistakes. The Bears really didn't do the latter yesterday, but luckily it didn't hurt them. I don't know what to expect from this team week to week. Thursday's game could get really ugly if they give up some big plays early. Or, it could be another great game like weeks 1 and 3. I think Trubisky will be in there as the starter sooner than later and I think he will be in a better position to get more out of the pedestrian receiver group we have and our tightends by virtue of his ability to improvise and throw on the run. I doubt that changes the erratic results we see from week to week a whole lot, but it will make for a little more dynamic offense. I see this as being a team that finishes between 7-9 and 9-7. That's better than almost any expert predicted and it's probably enough to keep Fox and friends around for another year. You know the offseason priority will be receiver and secondary. I would bet they will sign the best free agent WR on the market and use their #1 pick on one. That could make this a very interesting team in the coming years.
Old 09-25-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
The Bears have a VERY SMALL margin for error with the team they are playing with. They can beat some good teams, but they can also get blown out just as easily. With a guy like Glennon in there, they are never going to be very good at playing from behind. You saw what they were forced to try to be against Tampa Bay. If you make them have to put it in the air, it's just going to be ugly. Playing with a lead helps suits both the offense and the defense. On defense, they can play the run a bit more honest and be less prone to big pass plays by virtue of what the safety is asked to do. On offense, they can pound the ball and where the other team out. Cohen and Howard made the Steelers look silly in that 4th quarter and OT. The key is putting points on the board early and minimizing the silly mistakes. The Bears really didn't do the latter yesterday, but luckily it didn't hurt them. I don't know what to expect from this team week to week. Thursday's game could get really ugly if they give up some big plays early. Or, it could be another great game like weeks 1 and 3. I think Trubisky will be in there as the starter sooner than later and I think he will be in a better position to get more out of the pedestrian receiver group we have and our tightends by virtue of his ability to improvise and throw on the run. I doubt that changes the erratic results we see from week to week a whole lot, but it will make for a little more dynamic offense. I see this as being a team that finishes between 7-9 and 9-7. That's better than almost any expert predicted and it's probably enough to keep Fox and friends around for another year. You know the offseason priority will be receiver and secondary. I would bet they will sign the best free agent WR on the market and use their #1 pick on one. That could make this a very interesting team in the coming years.
I agree with just about all you posted. I will add that failing to make the playoffs while not securing a top 3 draft pick does not bode well for the future. It keeps us from getting the premier talent in the draft and allows guys to stick around that should be launched. The Bears have such glaring holes and have been bad for so long that I'm all in on this being a throw away season before a rebuild. Playoffs or worst record in the league is what I'm hoping for. I also hope they hold off on Trubisky for as long as possible so as not to ruin him. Happy feet and bad mechanics are easier habits to get into when new to the league and playing under distress with little help. Hard habits to break (see Rex Grossman).
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Olympian

I don't watch much pro ball, was waiting for Colbert show...the end of the Raiders game vs KC was crazy....very entertaining - like the Patriots last super bowl or the Boise State win over Oklahoma...