Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 09-25-2017
Olympian

attendance policy

I am looking for feedback. Everyone on this site is involved with education in some way. Parents, coaches, former students. I have been teaching at Proviso for 19 years. There is NO policy regarding attendance. No consequences for being late, nothing. I have had kids miss 80 out of 90 days. Then, they pressure us to let them, "make up the work," retake the test, you name it, I have seen it. Feel free not to name a school, but what is your school's policy about attendance?
Old 10-01-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
I am looking for feedback. Everyone on this site is involved with education in some way. Parents, coaches, former students. I have been teaching at Proviso for 19 years. There is NO policy regarding attendance. No consequences for being late, nothing. I have had kids miss 80 out of 90 days. Then, they pressure us to let them, "make up the work," retake the test, you name it, I have seen it. Feel free not to name a school, but what is your school's policy about attendance?
I k now at our school if you dont miss more then x amount of days you dont take the midterm exam or final .As for days off any time my choldren have missed more then three consecutive days i am notified by either voicemail or email .When it comes to academic eligibility the AD handles that and has a no tolerance policy .All this being said it doesnt effect our program one bit there is no real commitment or discipline in the room and those in charge do the minimum to improve the wrestling program
Old 10-02-2017
Olympian

Thanks, I have not coached wrestling since about 2011-12. But I am just amazed that as we are supposed to be preparing students for success in the future.....There is NO attendance policy at Proviso West. Come in 3rd period, what the hell?
Old 10-03-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Thanks, I have not coached wrestling since about 2011-12. But I am just amazed that as we are supposed to be preparing students for success in the future.....There is NO attendance policy at Proviso West. Come in 3rd period, what the hell?
Usually it is directed to a truancy officer. In our area - suburb, they are tough, possibly it is so pervasive there that they can only go after the worst or have given up...that is a pretty tough area, I would think the only way solve the problems in some parts of Chicago is too pull out and put into intensive programs to see another future...if the Feds dumped enough money for specialized education on Chicago they could solve it...not math training - reality training.
Old 10-04-2017
Olympian

They have an extremely tough attendance policy at my son's HS. We get automated phone calls from the school (on our home phone and both cell phones) if my son misses even a single class without prior excuse. Also, all teacher's take attendance at the beginning of class, and if a student is late even 3 minutes, they have missed attendance and are counted absent for the class. On top of that, if a student misses more than 3 class periods, that counts the same as being absent the entire day. Missing part or all of 1-3 class periods is considered missing 1/2 day of school. Once they accumulate 8 total absences, they are placed on attendance probation. One of the consequences of being on attendance probation is students are not allowed to go on non-required field trips. So, that means if a wrestler is on attendance probation, and they qualify for state, they are not allowed to go because they would have to miss school. Also, any additional absences result in Saturday detention.

It is extremely harsh to the point of being excessive. I can't believe that there are schools out there that have no enforceable attendance policies. What a contrast!
Old 10-04-2017
Olympian

Thank You Gents! I needed info and I got it. I just kinda feel like I work in bizzaro world. We have constant meetings about improving test scores and graduation rates. I raise my hand and say, "What if we required students to attend class?" Admin looks at me like I am speaking a foreign language.

If I do get a response it is they do not think it should be punitive. I think it is punitive to send kids off to college or the work force with the idea that being on time and there is not important. Then it will cost them money in tuition and wages and such.

I also think vocational classes should be offered again. Our school does not even teach drafting, let alone a trade. Most of my friends are in the trades, according to them, numbers in the hall are dwindling. AND, my students happen to be minorities. They would get the first call out of the hall and work circles around people!!!! You talk about white privilege, even in the 70's minorities were not welcome in the Locals. Thanks for letting me vent. Good luck this season!
Old 10-05-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Usually it is directed to a truancy officer. In our area - suburb, they are tough, possibly it is so pervasive there that they can only go after the worst or have given up...that is a pretty tough area, I would think the only way solve the problems in some parts of Chicago is too pull out and put into intensive programs to see another future...if the Feds dumped enough money for specialized education on Chicago they could solve it...not math training - reality training.
Ours is tough also, in fact the sports attendance is very tough also - at a school of 4000 kids it is easy to replace kids in activities and they let you know it. The activity most notorious is band, my kids were not in it but the stories are severe - no way you could do band and wrestle and be in a play or something like at little schools where you can do everything...we have cousins downstate and there is a big difference...