Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

IMAR is a tech fall machine! Two techs in a row! He'll be wrestling for bronze. USA doing a much, much better job today, with Ritchie Lewis in the gold medal match, and IMAR, McKenna and Walz in the bronze.

GO IMAR!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

IMAR loses in the bronze match to the Georgian. It was a super quick tech fall. Gotta watch those leg laces. But a great learning experience. The Georgian won Euro U23s, beating the Frenchman along the way, and he was a runner up at Tbilisi. His international glory will arrive!

GO IMAR!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
IMAR loses in the bronze match to the Georgian. It was a super quick tech fall. Gotta watch those leg laces. But a great learning experience. The Georgian won Euro U23s, beating the Frenchman along the way, and he was a runner up at Tbilisi. His international glory will arrive!

GO IMAR!!!
I wouldn't call it "a great learning experience "exactly .iMO I think if Imar would a brought home a medal then it was worth it .I dont like to see guys go from wrestling freestyle over the summer then start the season Ncaa folkstyle season then a trip overseas to wrestle freestyle .

Guys like Snyder of course can switch every other day and still be successful.
Imar is going for a 3rd Ncaa title and is coming off a disappointing finish last year by his standards and to this point in the year has looked great and ready to prove he is the best in the nation at 165 which arguably is the toughest weight class in the country.

Idont like running the risk of injury overseas or the change in routine .I guess it depends on the individual but winning a ncaa title is hard enough when all the cards fall perfectly in place throughout the season .
even if he won the U23 championships and went on to not win a 3rd ncaa title i wonder if some would question the decision?
Now i think the pressure to win it has increased this year after not bringing home a medal.
No doubt if he loses the armchair quarterbacks will be out and Chief im certain that you will out of your passion and illini loyalty will at some point be debating with a Michigan fan in the wee hours of the morning that if Imar wouldnt have made this trip he would never have lost to massa in the finals.
Im pulling for Imar of course and i hope the conversation never is needed
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherthrowyathenknowya View Post
I wouldn't call it "a great learning experience "exactly .iMO I think if Imar would a brought home a medal then it was worth it .I dont like to see guys go from wrestling freestyle over the summer then start the season Ncaa folkstyle season then a trip overseas to wrestle freestyle .

Guys like Snyder of course can switch every other day and still be successful.
Imar is going for a 3rd Ncaa title and is coming off a disappointing finish last year by his standards and to this point in the year has looked great and ready to prove he is the best in the nation at 165 which arguably is the toughest weight class in the country.

Idont like running the risk of injury overseas or the change in routine .I guess it depends on the individual but winning a ncaa title is hard enough when all the cards fall perfectly in place throughout the season .
even if he won the U23 championships and went on to not win a 3rd ncaa title i wonder if some would question the decision?
Now i think the pressure to win it has increased this year after not bringing home a medal.
No doubt if he loses the armchair quarterbacks will be out and Chief im certain that you will out of your passion and illini loyalty will at some point be debating with a Michigan fan in the wee hours of the morning that if Imar wouldnt have made this trip he would never have lost to massa in the finals.
Im pulling for Imar of course and i hope the conversation never is needed
The NCAA tournament is over 3 months away. U23s will have zero impact on whether or not Martinez gets his 3rd title.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Oh, rtytky!

That has to be your worst argument yet! C'mon! As PBS noted, the NCAA tournament is month's away, and instead of practicing the same ho-hum snap downs and go behinds, he was learning new variations of the whizzer and 2-on-1 from some of the best wrestlers in the world.

Moreover, he could have been hurt wrestling in the Roadrunner Open or in practice.

It was a great experience for him. How many Americans in any sport get to wrestle for a medal the first time they go overseas to a world tournament? He had the toughest bracket on the day. The guy who got a Senior World medal didn't medal! He didn't even get to wrestle for a medal.

The Russian who won the tournament won Junior Worlds the same year that Mark Hall took 9th. IMAR took 5th and came within two points of beating him. In fact, IMAR had by far the best match against him. Besides being a Junior World champ, he's now a U23 World champ, and he came in second at the Russian Nationals.

I watched the Georgian wrestle in a couple of videos on the youtube. He won Euro U23, and he came in second in the tough Tiblisi Open. (It's kind of funny, because he literally made his opponent in the Tiblisi finals pee his pants. Or maybe he just ripped his singlet, I couldn't tell.). So this was a great experience for IMAR, and I expect he will win his share of international medals in the future.

GO IMAR & ILLINI!!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Oh, rtytky!

That has to be your worst argument yet! C'mon! As PBS noted, the NCAA tournament is month's away, and instead of practicing the same ho-hum snap downs and go behinds, he was learning new variations of the whizzer and 2-on-1 from some of the best wrestlers in the world.

Moreover, he could have been hurt wrestling in the Roadrunner Open or in practice.

It was a great experience for him. How many Americans in any sport get to wrestle for a medal the first time they go overseas to a world tournament? He had the toughest bracket on the day. The guy who got a Senior World medal didn't medal! He didn't even get to wrestle for a medal.

The Russian who won the tournament won Junior Worlds the same year that Mark Hall took 9th. IMAR took 5th and came within two points of beating him. In fact, IMAR had by far the best match against him. Besides being a Junior World champ, he's now a U23 World champ, and he came in second at the Russian Nationals.

I watched the Georgian wrestle in a couple of videos on the youtube. He won Euro U23, and he came in second in the tough Tiblisi Open. (It's kind of funny, because he literally made his opponent in the Tiblisi finals pee his pants. Or maybe he just ripped his singlet, I couldn't tell.). So this was a great experience for IMAR, and I expect he will win his share of international medals in the future.

GO IMAR & ILLINI!!!
My fault.I was for some reason thinking when i posted that the Ncaas were at the end end of December which is the midlands tournament .my mistake chief .
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherthrowyathenknowya View Post
My fault.I was for some reason thinking when i posted that the Ncaas were at the end end of December which is the midlands tournament .my mistake chief .
No worries.

IMAR has caught the International Fever! He'll be wrestling in the Clubs Cup next week. Since I'm scouting the world for him, this is the Russian who is on the Iranian Clubs Cup team:

Quote:
Khetag Nikolayevich Tsabolov (Russian: Хетаг Николаевич Цаболов; born 17 November 1991 in RSO-Alania) also known as Khetig Tsabolov is a Russian freestyle wrestler of Ossetian descent. In 2011, he won a national and a world junior title. Three years later he repeated this achievemment, in the seniors category.[1] In 2014, he became World Champion at Men's freestyle 70 kg.
That's his wikipedia entry. Dude has a wikipedia entry.

GO IMAR!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

B.J. Futrell has been added to the team, and he will join Franklin Gomez at 65kg. That means two ILLINI will be manning two of the toughest weights at the tournament.

Because there will be pools, our ILLINI heroes won't have to face all of these wrestlers, but here's who's at those weights:

65 kg.

65kg- Meysam NASIRI – Seyed Ahmad MOHAMMAD (IRI)

Mohammad's a two-time world medalist, and he wrestles for Bimeh Razi. They are the co-favorites, so it is very likely that either Futrell or Gomez will wrestle this guy. In this video from the World Cup, Mohammad scored with a single, a blast double, a push out, a go-behind and a gut wrench against the Turk. He likes to tie up the fingers when he needs to take a break, but he was pretty much all go in that match. Mohammad was second in the 2014 World Championships and third in the 2015 World Championships.

The other wrestler listed, Nasiri, was Iran's rep at 65kg in the last Olympics, but he lost his first match to Boris Novachkov. (There's another nice IRTC connection!).

65kg- Haji ALIEV (AZE) - Hassan MORADGHOLI

Wrestling for another Iranian club team is a gold medalist from the Rio Olympics, Aliev of Azerbaijan. He's pretty good at wrestling.

74kg.

Besides the World Champion we've already described in a post above, IMAR might have to take on a guy who wrestled for the Georgia Olympic Team:

74kg- Giorgi LOBJANIDZE (GEO)

GO IMAR & B.J.!!!
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

The draws for pool assignments have taken place. The ILLINI got a great draw! B.J. Futrell and IMAR will face Canada, India and Bulgaria. These are the lane assignments:

65kg

Canada Vicent DE MARINIS He finished third at the 2015 Pan Am Championships. He wrestled for Concordia in college and was All-Canadian, which will get you some back bacon and a brewski. At the 2015 Pan Am Championships there were only six wrestlers at 61 kg. De Marinis was teched by a Columbian, and Andrew Hochstrasser then teched the Columbian in the championship match. De Marinis did beat guys from Brazil and Ecuador. Here he is losing pretty bad in a qualification round of the 2016 Canada Championships. He's got a cute little arm drag, slide by.

India Sonu (no last name) There was a Sonu who wrestled off for their world team in 2015 but lost to a returning world medalist. This was at 61kg. That is probably the guy, but I can't find any video on him. If it's him, he could be pretty darn good. Another remote possibility is that it is the Sonu kid from India who just won a Silver in the Cadet Greco Worlds at 58kg. If I were B.J., I would use my speed to shoot from space, and if you have a lead, don't tie up! There is still another freestyle Sonu from India who won a cadet medal in 2014, but she's a girl. Not likely her. That's why we have last names, people!

Bulgaria Boycho BOYCHEV Represented Bulgaria at 2015 world championships. He beat a guy from Ukraine with a cradle, by golly, then got teched by Azerbaijan in the quarterfinals. He loves to hand fight and tie up. And there's that cradle. Keep your knees away from your heads, kids!

74kg

Canada Ahmed SHAMIYA Got a 2nd in the 2016 Pan Am Championships. He got schlattered in the 70 kg finals by Dustin Schlatter. Shamiya is frequently a finalist in the Canada Cup and Guelph and McMasters tournaments. He's a big fellow, but he's susceptible to speed.

India Ver Dev GULIA He was 3rd in 2017 Junior Worlds. Here's video of him in the bronze match. Here he is losing to Kazakhstan in another tournament. Note that in both matches, when he gets a takedown, he does a totally useless cross-face that is sure to piss off anybody. He got called out by both refs for that dirty pool. The coaching staff should have a phone handy to google the word "disqualification" in the referee's native tongue.

Bulgaria Persiyan MIHOV I can't find anything about this guy.
Old 1 Week Ago
Varsity

P.S. I should note that if the ILLINI advance from that pool the road gets even harder, as they will start running into the Russians and Iranians. But for now, they got the Junior National Duals equivalent of:

POOL A

Illinois
Northwesttucky
Tenneseein'
Colorado
Portugal
Sponsored Links