Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-11-2017
Olympian

The Cascone side of things my memory will be pretty good. NOT PERFECT THOUGH. Joey was the 1st IKWF State Champ I ever coached. His freshman year St. Laurence was loaded with upper classmen at and around his weight. His sophomore year he got hit with the infamous 1 pt. granby by Danny Evensen in the dual right after sectionals to determine who went downstate as a team between ST.L & Marist. The bout ended in a 1-1 tie. Evensen was the undefeated State Champ that year. His junior year he went 132 as Tino Gonzales was 126 as a senior. The week before Catholic League he called me and asked should I go 126 and have to beat O'Brien or should I go 132 with Gilbert. I answered "that's a lot of confidence for a guy who hasn't even qualified for State yet."
I then asked him which weight did he think he had a better chance to make the finals as both O'B and Gilbert were in his sectional. He said 126, but if I go 126 Billy Guide won't make it out. Billy's grandfather was my coach and started the Vittum Vikings which eventually became the Vittum Cats. Billy and Joey were workout partners in IK. I guess I should explain to this generation that there was actually something called loyalty back then. But I digress. I told Joey he was a senior and Billy was a sophomore and he would be just fine. Joey dropped to 126 for the 1st time that year at CCL and lost to a guy from Gordon Tech (I think). To his credit this did not send him back to 132. He won the regional at 126. At sectionals in the sems he was losing to Mike Mackowiak 1-0 with 3 seconds left as they went out of bounds. On the re-start he hit the quickest switch I have ever seen to win 2-1 (or maybe 3-2). That same switch off the whistle was the difference in the final bout victory over OB. I was standing right next to Joey in the stands(his semi ended 1st) when Gay pulled out the last second win over OB. Oh yeah and 2 yrs. later that Guide kid was standing on the top of the podium for the Caravan.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
The Cascone side of things my memory will be pretty good. NOT PERFECT THOUGH. Joey was the 1st IKWF State Champ I ever coached. His freshman year St. Laurence was loaded with upper classmen at and around his weight. His sophomore year he got hit with the infamous 1 pt. granby by Danny Evensen in the dual right after sectionals to determine who went downstate as a team between ST.L & Marist. The bout ended in a 1-1 tie. Evensen was the undefeated State Champ that year. His junior year he went 132 as Tino Gonzales was 126 as a senior. The week before Catholic League he called me and asked should I go 126 and have to beat O'Brien or should I go 132 with Gilbert. I answered "that's a lot of confidence for a guy who hasn't even qualified for State yet."
I then asked him which weight did he think he had a better chance to make the finals as both O'B and Gilbert were in his sectional. He said 126, but if I go 126 Billy Guide won't make it out. Billy's grandfather was my coach and started the Vittum Vikings which eventually became the Vittum Cats. Billy and Joey were workout partners in IK. I guess I should explain to this generation that there was actually something called loyalty back then. But I digress. I told Joey he was a senior and Billy was a sophomore and he would be just fine. Joey dropped to 126 for the 1st time that year at CCL and lost to a guy from Gordon Tech (I think). To his credit this did not send him back to 132. He won the regional at 126. At sectionals in the sems he was losing to Mike Mackowiak 1-0 with 3 seconds left as they went out of bounds. On the re-start he hit the quickest switch I have ever seen to win 2-1 (or maybe 3-2). That same switch off the whistle was the difference in the final bout victory over OB. I was standing right next to Joey in the stands(his semi ended 1st) when Gay pulled out the last second win over OB. Oh yeah and 2 yrs. later that Guide kid was standing on the top of the podium for the Caravan.
I was a lowly sophomore at StL that year so I have no doubt you are accurate.
Old 01-11-2017
Olympian

Quote:
My history with H.S. wrestling only started in 1997 when my son was a freshman, but I love hearing these stories about people that I've only heard about. Thanks for sharing your memories.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Joey dropped to 126 for the 1st time that year at CCL and lost to a guy from Gordon Tech (I think). To his credit this did not send him back to 132. He won the regional at 126.
Loss to Ray Espinosa from GT. He was tough. What ever sectional he was at must of have been crazy because he didn't make it out. Kurtz and Espinosa was GT's 1, 2 punch on a very good GT team that year.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
Where did u find that dribble .....please help a wrestling junkie with limited computer skills out ......
It's on the IHSA website, like someone else stated. It's a little cumbersome to put on the forum. If admin would use tapatalk, it would be extremely simple.

What I did was print off the bracket, then scan it to my computer, download that file to photobucket, then capture the URL, and use the link option on this site.

If there is an easier way to upload pictures on here, I would love to know what it is.
Old 01-11-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
That was as good a read as you see on this forum.
Old 01-11-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low dribble View Post
It's on the IHSA website, like someone else stated. It's a little cumbersome to put on the forum. If admin would use tapatalk, it would be extremely simple.

What I did was print off the bracket, then scan it to my computer, download that file to photobucket, then capture the URL, and use the link option on this site.

If there is an easier way to upload pictures on here, I would love to know what it is.
Agreed about the need to simplify posting images.
Print screen would screen shot your computer and would save you the scannning step.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Weber View Post
Like i said before. You must be the most popular guy on the boards! You just whip out the names!

And for the record. Ricky Harris never won an IHSA STATE TITLE.
I was wrong about Harris ....if i told ya mr.Web how i came to believe Harris was a state champ and who the person was and where we were at when we discussed this topic ..... you may have may have a breakdown

As for the name dropping i am feeling a bit of hostility directed my way from you it very well be envy tho .....from 86-2000 &2012-2016 im pretty knowledge about the sport .....throughout 2000-2010 had a few hiccups in my life which were self inflicted poor decisions which resulted in me missing out on some of the simpliar things in life for extended periods of time and lost touch with things I enjoyed such as wrestling and competitive sports

Dont hate Web .... Ive got a bunch a useless stats stored away in my memory believe me popularity is something i am far from and other than you rarely described as ....talking wrestling present past and future keeps me from paying $75 a hour on some shrinks couch
And i was corrected twice on bormet and harris so i bet review my notes im slacking as of latr
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
With all joe Cascone success and he was a great wrestler his younger brother had the biggest win by a cascone at st.laurence ...maybe ever in their history......

Who remembers that match when his brother" got the job done"?
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Joe Cascone's little brother was slammed by Joe Williams and St. Laurence beat #1 Mt. Carmel by two points in the regional dual final in 1990. St. Laurence went on to win state that year beating Providence in the state finals.
Sponsored Links