Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-09-2017
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Purely from an Illinois standpoint, this was one of the toughest weight classes in IHSA history. Look at the names and also know that neither Polz or Oster even MADE it to state that year.

http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities...dsHistory.aspx

2004-05 119lbs

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Last edited by mckbln; 01-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by: mckbin
Purely from an Illinois standpoint, this was one of the toughest weight classes in IHSA history. Look at the names and also know that neither Polz or Oster even MADE it to state that year.
So the toughest bracket in Illinois history was won by Nick Fanthorpe? Great bracket with Kennedy, Fanthorpe and Hutter but this bracket does not even make my top twenty state brackets of all time. Fanthorpe was a senior and Hutter and and Kennedy were Juniors and if my memory serves me correctly none were ranked in the top 10 in the nation at that time. What about the bracket with Scott Trizzino and Ray Conrad in the seventies? Gilbert and Bormet in the eighties? TJ Williams and Tony Davis in the nineties or Eric Seibert and Ernest Benion? I can go on and on but everyone forgets all the tough brackets of the past. So many to even name them all.
Old 01-09-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
So the toughest bracket in Illinois history was won by Nick Fanthorpe? Great bracket with Kennedy, Fanthorpe and Hutter but this bracket does not even make my top twenty state brackets of all time. Fanthorpe was a senior and Hutter and and Kennedy were Juniors and if my memory serves me correctly none were ranked in the top 10 in the nation at that time. What about the bracket with Scott Trizzino and Ray Conrad in the seventies? Gilbert and Bormet in the eighties? TJ Williams and Tony Davis in the nineties or Eric Seibert and Ernest Benion? I can go on and on but everyone forgets all the tough brackets of the past. So many to even name them all.
Got go with bulldog here ....i have hard time picking that bracket overthe gilbert bormet i posted earlier .....between gilbert ,bormet ,and ferguson that is 9 state tiles alone im not sure about the others gguys in the bracket

I must speak tho on the 1990 or 1991 besectional at andrew h.s i may be partial cuz it was my first real time as a grade schooler seeing wrestling like this

130 bracket had
Stevie williams - only weighed about 120 but Mc had walsh and another guy who were established seniors at 19 25 so stevie went 130 ...ultimate respect he showed teamates cuz he had transferred in

Mike Eierman -2x runner up to gerdes and wilso n eierman 4 x catholic league champ

Ray broukal -eisenhower placed the previous year at 25 not as well known but a greco beast
Broukal vs williams probably 20 points scored nothing but guys getting launched to their back insane atmosphere stevie wins

Eierman vs stevie same thing a ton of points just on the incredible scrambling
There was a couple others who were studs i just cant recall but i think terry dantzler was the guy to take 3rd and beat broukal

From that day i never saw a more entertaining wrestler than stevie williams he was a finisher and stepped up to the plate ..i did have the unfortunate opportunity to wrestle him in high school a few time s when entered high school even tho my matches were brief it made me appreciate even more those matches
if and wheni can locate the brackets ill post it ....im positive about Eierman,stevie and broukal just not certain on dantzler
Old 01-09-2017
Olympian

Oster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post

http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities...dsHistory.aspx

2004-05 119lbs
Jake Oster was hurt at Sectional. The Plainfield South 119 regional had Hutter, Oster, and Gagan. No one else had a chance. The Hutter, Oster final was amazing It went to UTB. Hutter picked top and held on for the 30 seconds. Anyone that had wrestled Oster knew that he was amazing on the mat. The one thing that you did not want to try to do is have only 30 seconds to escape.
Old 01-10-2017
Psalm 37:5

Osters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
Jake Oster was hurt at Sectional. The Plainfield South 119 regional had Hutter, Oster, and Gagan. No one else had a chance. The Hutter, Oster final was amazing It went to UTB. Hutter picked top and held on for the 30 seconds. Anyone that had wrestled Oster knew that he was amazing on the mat. The one thing that you did not want to try to do is have only 30 seconds to escape.
All of them are like that, it's like wrestling a hybrid of an octopus/python when you get on the mat with any of the Oster boys! Cathy and Marty cornered the market on producing boys with great hips for wrestling!
Old 01-10-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
Got go with bulldog here ....i have hard time picking that bracket overthe gilbert bormet i posted earlier .....between gilbert ,bormet ,and ferguson that is 9 state tiles alone im not sure about the others gguys in the bracket

I must speak tho on the 1990 or 1991 besectional at andrew h.s i may be partial cuz it was my first real time as a grade schooler seeing wrestling like this

130 bracket had
Stevie williams - only weighed about 120 but Mc had walsh and another guy who were established seniors at 19 25 so stevie went 130 ...ultimate respect he showed teamates cuz he had transferred in

Mike Eierman -2x runner up to gerdes and wilso n eierman 4 x catholic league champ

Ray broukal -eisenhower placed the previous year at 25 not as well known but a greco beast
Broukal vs williams probably 20 points scored nothing but guys getting launched to their back insane atmosphere stevie wins

Eierman vs stevie same thing a ton of points just on the incredible scrambling
There was a couple others who were studs i just cant recall but i think terry dantzler was the guy to take 3rd and beat broukal

From that day i never saw a more entertaining wrestler than stevie williams he was a finisher and stepped up to the plate ..i did have the unfortunate opportunity to wrestle him in high school a few time s when entered high school even tho my matches were brief it made me appreciate even more those matches
if and wheni can locate the brackets ill post it ....im positive about Eierman,stevie and broukal just not certain on dantzler
I can't remember the year maybe 1990 but that year didn't steve Williams whos recorded was like 5-0 pinned Ricky Harris I believe from Tinley park in the opening round of the sectional tournament? I know it's about brackets but that match stands out to me.........sorry
Old 01-10-2017
Junior Varsity

Obviously the state brackets are going to be deeper and more impressive, but the original post was asking for all brackets regionals sectional etc... Many of those sectionals from the late 90's into the middle half of the 2000's in the Chicago area were so stacked if you made it out of the sectional you were almost guaranteed to be on the podium the following weekend.
Old 01-10-2017
Varsity

2011 171 could have been one of the toughest brackets ever. Should have been 3 state champs from the previous year in the same bracket.
Congenie
Brooks
Akui
Old 01-10-2017
Varsity

http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/Boy...ords/index.htm

2005-06 AA Finals
Old 01-10-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachperry View Post
I can't remember the year maybe 1990 but that year didn't steve Williams whos recorded was like 5-0 pinned Ricky Harris I believe from Tinley park in the opening round of the sectional tournament? I know it's about brackets but that match stands out to me.........sorry
I do not recall that match i have a upcoming breakfast date with a few old school guys who will be able to clarify the years and venues for me

Ricky harris was a 2x state champ i believe.....

I hate to go off topic here but i think that was the the entire state was looking forwardto a stevie willams vs ken gerdes in the finalsthat year until Williams was upset by a unranked kid from dekalb Andy Heinisch down state .....
Im disappointed in myself and my struggles to recall that era but it's slowly coming back to me

in my opion the best group of talent collectively from freshman to senior all competing in same state tournament was when recently
Rudy yates ....Austin Gomez......Warner....Kamal Bay
Isiah white .....Jren.....Duncan......Hayes ......
Austin oconner..madrigals .Larry early, Piotrwski ,Williams and many more were all down state at the same time was as good as it gets

But the early 90s with likes of
Joe and stevie williams
Bormet and Gerdes
Andriotti and Kevin Nolan
Eierman and Bracken
Will Lepsi Jeff mirabella
Herbert House
Proviso east
Quintenellas
Bybee and many others ..of that era was tough to top

Last edited by Quickstick; 01-11-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Sponsored Links