Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
The following year, 112 was one of my favorites. Ben Morris, Sam Geraci and Sean Bormet finishing 1, 2 and 3 respectively
Indeed Morris v Bormet was a great match. Morris, Bormet and Geraci each won one State title. Anyone one of them could have won 3 if things worked out differently. Gilbert v Bormet the greatest match that never was.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicLeaguer View Post
Indeed Morris v Bormet was a great match. Morris, Bormet and Geraci each won one State title. Anyone one of them could have won 3 if things worked out differently. Gilbert v Bormet the greatest match that never was.
Bormet won2 I'm pretty sure
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
Bormet won2 I'm pretty sure
Nope. DNP, 3rd, 3rd, 1st. Loss to William Gay as Jr by fall when he was close to teching in semis. Prevented a Gilbert v Bormet final. Won as Senior only
Old 01-11-2017
Olympian

As I remember. Memory not what it used to be. The late William Gay hit returning State Champ Danny O'Brien with a duck under at the buzzer to win 6-5 in the semi's his JR. year then hit Bormet with a headlock for a fall trailing by 14 the following year in the sems. Possibly the best semifinal wins for an individual wrestler. He was tech falled by Joey Cascone and pinned by Joey Gilbert in the finals. Again as I recall.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
As I remember. Memory not what it used to be. The late William Gay hit returning State Champ Danny O'Brien with a duck under at the buzzer to win 6-5 in the semi's his JR. year then hit Bormet with a headlock for a fall trailing by 14 the following year in the sems. Possibly the best semifinal wins for an individual wrestler. He was tech falled by Joey Cascone and pinned by Joey Gilbert in the finals. Again as I recall.
I recall Gay pulling out at the end on OB. Was OB up 5-1 and thrown to back to lose 6-5? I don't recall the match being a 1 point affair until the end but like you memory failing . That prevented what would have been a great final Cascone v OB. They split the meetings at that point I believe 1-1. Maybe Cascone was 2-1 against OB that year . Getting old sucks
Old 01-11-2017
Olympian

Quote:
I recall Gay pulling out at the end on OB. Was OB up 5-1 and thrown to back to lose 6-5? I don't recall the match being a 1 point affair until the end but like you memory failing . That prevented what would have been a great final Cascone v OB. They split the meetings at that point I believe 1-1. Maybe Cascone was 2-1 against OB that year . Getting old sucks
Exactly as I remember it, as well, except for the Cascone-O'Brien matchups. O'Brien was returning state champ and presumed favorite until he ran into Cascone in the championship match at Sectionals the week before. He was undefeated heading into that match and lost to Cascone. Everyone expected the rematch to happen at the State finals, but Gay had other ideas. My handwritten bracket matches what is on IHSA.org. I have Gay winning the O'Brien match 8-6, as well. I do recall a 5 point move that turned that match around. As a result, the rematch never happened and O'Brien finished with a single loss on the season.
Old 01-11-2017
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
... Getting old sucks
It's better than the alternative
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Schtick! Dropping names like your carpet bombing!

Like i said before. You must be the most popular guy on the boards! You just whip out the names!

And for the record. Ricky Harris never won an IHSA STATE TITLE.
Old 01-11-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
Exactly as I remember it, as well, except for the Cascone-O'Brien matchups. O'Brien was returning state champ and presumed favorite until he ran into Cascone in the championship match at Sectionals the week before. He was undefeated heading into that match and lost to Cascone. Everyone expected the rematch to happen at the State finals, but Gay had other ideas. My handwritten bracket matches what is on IHSA.org. I have Gay winning the O'Brien match 8-6, as well. I do recall a 5 point move that turned that match around. As a result, the rematch never happened and O'Brien finished with a single loss on the season.
I thought Cascone beat him OB at the Dvorak predecessor, the Rockford Boyland tournament then OB beating Joe may be at the dual and Joe getting him at sectionals. IHSA site does have OB at 37-2 so probably not. It was a big deal that Cascone dropped to 126. Year prior he wrestled 132.
Old 01-11-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
Correct. Gay was getting schooled by Bormet, then Gay throws a move and pins him. That spoiled the big anticipated match between Bormet / Gilbert. Obviously a big lucky win for Gay, and it showed next match when he got killed by Gilbert in the finals.
Sponsored Links