Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-11-2017
Quickstick Quickstick is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwrestler View Post
Joe Cascone's little brother was slammed by Joe Williams and St. Laurence beat #1 Mt. Carmel by two points in the regional dual final in 1990. St. Laurence went on to win state that year beating Providence in the state finals.
And bulldog hits the nail on the head........but the 2 point win is misleading ....something that the caravan of that era to this very day have not accepted even if Vince Cascone gets up from the slam which happened to be rhe only blemish on a otherwise perfect high school career for Joe Williams and MC gets 6 there theystill lose

The worst part of St.Laurence head coach that season was every dual against the best teams he would forfeit the remaining weights as soon as they were ahead by enough points an locked up the win .....from a fans perspective it kinda disappointing
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-11-2017
Mainefan Mainefan is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 2,136
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
And bulldog hits the nail on the head........but the 2 point win is misleading ....something that the caravan of that era to this very day have not accepted even if Vince Cascone gets up from the slam which happened to be rhe only blemish on a otherwise perfect high school career for Joe Williams and MC gets 6 there theystill lose

The worst part of St.Laurence head coach that season was every dual against the best teams he would forfeit the remaining weights as soon as they were ahead by enough points an locked up the win .....from a fans perspective it kinda disappointing
Explain how St. Laurence still wins. They won by 2 and it appears that the slam was anywhere from a 9 pt swing to a 12 pt swing.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-11-2017
PapaBearSLIM's Avatar
PapaBearSLIM PapaBearSLIM is offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wakanda
Posts: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainefan View Post
Explain how St. Laurence still wins. They won by 2 and it appears that the slam was anywhere from a 9 pt swing to a 12 pt swing.
He explains it at the end of his post. He implied that St. Lawrence forfeited 1 or more matches once they had the dual was locked up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-12-2017
Mainefan Mainefan is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
He explains it at the end of his post. He implied that St. Lawrence forfeited 1 or more matches once they had the dual was locked up.
Thanks. Somehow, my brain did not put those facts together.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-12-2017
Mark Weber Mark Weber is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 121
Trombetta fft those last weights took the chance that A SCENERIO WHERE LOSING TEAM POINTS were negated... hypothetically maybe the HWT Goes out and wrestles... gets pinned and cusses at the ref that he wasnt pinned. Instead of winning the dual by a point his team is dinged a team point and the dual is tied and now instead od winning by a point they suddenly lose on criteria for most 6 point decisions.

Smart on Trombetta's part? I have heard people say it was BS he did it. His job at that point was coachjng. He guarenteed his program a win. Cant find fault with that.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-12-2017
Dondo Dondo is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Homewood
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
And bulldog hits the nail on the head........but the 2 point win is misleading ....something that the caravan of that era to this very day have not accepted even if Vince Cascone gets up from the slam which happened to be rhe only blemish on a otherwise perfect high school career for Joe Williams and MC gets 6 there theystill lose

The worst part of St.Laurence head coach that season was every dual against the best teams he would forfeit the remaining weights as soon as they were ahead by enough points an locked up the win .....from a fans perspective it kinda disappointing
Unfortunately I was matside on that slam. Getting up? LOL...stay down....stay down....
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-12-2017
Quickstick Quickstick is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Weber View Post
Trombetta fft those last weights took the chance that A SCENERIO WHERE LOSING TEAM POINTS were negated... hypothetically maybe the HWT Goes out and wrestles... gets pinned and cusses at the ref that he wasnt pinned. Instead of winning the dual by a point his team is dinged a team point and the dual is tied and now instead od winning by a point they suddenly lose on criteria for most 6 point decisions.

Smart on Trombetta's part? I have heard people say it was BS he did it. His job at that point was coachjng. He guarenteed his program a win. Cant find fault with that.
That's a good way to describe it Weber but unfortunately not all that accurate ..that's the pg version .......here is the rated R version an why Trombetta did what he did which was not uncommon for him.....havea seat web im about to overload ya with some name dropping facts lol

This is a story I've been enjoyed over the years and I e heard it manylate nights on the south side and have seen more than one fight over this very story

The week leading up to that dual thecaravan who were regional champs but Weick knew that they needed to tweak the lineup inorder to beat the Vikings so that week on 64th on Dante there was a secret weight cut going on and when the vikes arrived to weigh in they knew instantly the middle weight classes for the caravan looked a little hungrier than usual they Weick hatched a plan to drop a weight class

Now remember this was in the old gymnasium which fans could surround the mat hanging over the railing from the track above the place was falling apart but it was a great place to watch a dual when there was so much hatred for one another and a packed house
Now gentleman I would love to summarize and get to the point but this was a evening where if at any point in youlife you had cause to hate the caravan this is The rare time on the mat they felt karma

I must give a little history for you to truly appreciate the evening .....all mt greenwood kids at the time were going to MC that is until one family decided to branch out and head to Burbank and attend St.Laurence that would be Eierman and that opened the mt greenwood kids to follow

So the dual starts and Weick loses the coin flip but he still felt the weight drop would be the difference all he had to do was make sure eierman wrestled Stevie Williams Stevie and joe both had beaten Eierman a couple times throughout the year
103- MC Joe O'Sullivan a state qualifier from Beverly vs Nate Camer also from Beverly MC was expecting 4 but camer had other plans and won

112 - MC I don't recall but I know they were expecting a win cuz the vikes put up freshman Ralph Ruis who spent nmost of the year o n sophomores well it turned he was a stud who ended being a state finalist

119 -bill Walsh stops the pain and gets a win for MC
125 sorry cant recall that

130 Stevie steps on the mat ultra pumped up for Eierman and this is the beginning of the end and when the weight cut master plan backfired Trombetta sends out sophomore Lockhart and Williams gets the most pissed off 6 I've witnessed in a dual in a while and then joe Williams comes out assuming he gets eierman but Trombetta saw it coming and saves his stud for another match and sends out a casscone who he briefly thought about forfeiting to joe Williams cuz Stevie pin had the house screaming but out goes cascone he is down by ten about 10 seconds after they shook hands but then joe dmat returns him cascone and it sounded and appeared worse than it was because cascone was a 25 who was a true 19 he just couldn't start an joe was a big 35

Anyway cascone was popping up until he was advised by Vikings staff that he was unable to continue no matter that how fine he thought was so he proceeded to put on a oscar winning performance and hit the deck in agonizing pain and give joe his one and only high school loss

Anyone who has watched a dual in the gym on Dante knows how rowdy and close quarters it is and I was in the midst of adults from both schools ready to brawl at that point but Chicagos finest was able to maintain control

Now ya think the drama can't get any better but next eierman steps on the mat and out comes Minet
both mt greenwood wrestlers who fathers are both cops and to put it lightly have a history of not seeing eye to eye in wrestling over the years and not exactly going have coffee together ever
Eierman ,minet ,Walsh all from greenwood and I know Walsh would beat eierman in ikwf but in high school every time it was Eierman but the minet vs Eierman was two kids who lived blocks away from each other and two of the toughest kids in the neighborhood
so bragging rights and their dads pressure all involved in this match Eierman wins maybe major don't recall but that win was much more than just a win if you were from greenwood
Enright next vs Jim walker another Viking win I

The Vikings still had bracken czakowski and lazzara to go all tol 5 so when they sealed the deal and Trombetta knew it was over he forfeited for his and his squads safety it was hostile environment but the Vikings were the best team that year no matter how many different versions you will hear in the bars up and down 111 th street

Don't come looking for blood MC it's a rare time for someone to gloat I have friends who are Carmel guys who see it completely different
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-12-2017
Quickstick Quickstick is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
Unfortunately I was matside on that slam. Getting up? LOL...stay down....stay down....
Cascone belonged in Hollywood afte that performance
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-12-2017
Quickstick Quickstick is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 825
Just to clarify I mean no disrespect to anybody I mentioned mr .minet,mr Eierman enright,Trombetta and Weick all great people with a passion for wrestling so please don't try to twist it into that it was a good dual that's all sometimes my post sound a bit disrespectful when I read them never would I disrespect any of those guys
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-12-2017
Low dribble Low dribble is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
That's a good way to describe it Weber but unfortunately not all that accurate ..that's the pg version .......here is the rated R version an why Trombetta did what he did which was not uncommon for him.....havea seat web im about to overload ya with some name dropping facts lol

This is a story I've been enjoyed over the years and I e heard it manylate nights on the south side and have seen more than one fight over this very story

The week leading up to that dual thecaravan who were regional champs but Weick knew that they needed to tweak the lineup inorder to beat the Vikings so that week on 64th on Dante there was a secret weight cut going on and when the vikes arrived to weigh in they knew instantly the middle weight classes for the caravan looked a little hungrier than usual they Weick hatched a plan to drop a weight class

Now remember this was in the old gymnasium which fans could surround the mat hanging over the railing from the track above the place was falling apart but it was a great place to watch a dual when there was so much hatred for one another and a packed house
Now gentleman I would love to summarize and get to the point but this was a evening where if at any point in youlife you had cause to hate the caravan this is The rare time on the mat they felt karma

I must give a little history for you to truly appreciate the evening .....all mt greenwood kids at the time were going to MC that is until one family decided to branch out and head to Burbank and attend St.Laurence that would be Eierman and that opened the mt greenwood kids to follow

So the dual starts and Weick loses the coin flip but he still felt the weight drop would be the difference all he had to do was make sure eierman wrestled Stevie Williams Stevie and joe both had beaten Eierman a couple times throughout the year
103- MC Joe O'Sullivan a state qualifier from Beverly vs Nate Camer also from Beverly MC was expecting 4 but camer had other plans and won

112 - MC I don't recall but I know they were expecting a win cuz the vikes put up freshman Ralph Ruis who spent nmost of the year o n sophomores well it turned he was a stud who ended being a state finalist

119 -bill Walsh stops the pain and gets a win for MC
125 sorry cant recall that

130 Stevie steps on the mat ultra pumped up for Eierman and this is the beginning of the end and when the weight cut master plan backfired Trombetta sends out sophomore Lockhart and Williams gets the most pissed off 6 I've witnessed in a dual in a while and then joe Williams comes out assuming he gets eierman but Trombetta saw it coming and saves his stud for another match and sends out a casscone who he briefly thought about forfeiting to joe Williams cuz Stevie pin had the house screaming but out goes cascone he is down by ten about 10 seconds after they shook hands but then joe dmat returns him cascone and it sounded and appeared worse than it was because cascone was a 25 who was a true 19 he just couldn't start an joe was a big 35

Anyway cascone was popping up until he was advised by Vikings staff that he was unable to continue no matter that how fine he thought was so he proceeded to put on a oscar winning performance and hit the deck in agonizing pain and give joe his one and only high school loss

Anyone who has watched a dual in the gym on Dante knows how rowdy and close quarters it is and I was in the midst of adults from both schools ready to brawl at that point but Chicagos finest was able to maintain control

Now ya think the drama can't get any better but next eierman steps on the mat and out comes Minet
both mt greenwood wrestlers who fathers are both cops and to put it lightly have a history of not seeing eye to eye in wrestling over the years and not exactly going have coffee together ever
Eierman ,minet ,Walsh all from greenwood and I know Walsh would beat eierman in ikwf but in high school every time it was Eierman but the minet vs Eierman was two kids who lived blocks away from each other and two of the toughest kids in the neighborhood
so bragging rights and their dads pressure all involved in this match Eierman wins maybe major don't recall but that win was much more than just a win if you were from greenwood
Enright next vs Jim walker another Viking win I

The Vikings still had bracken czakowski and lazzara to go all tol 5 so when they sealed the deal and Trombetta knew it was over he forfeited for his and his squads safety it was hostile environment but the Vikings were the best team that year no matter how many different versions you will hear in the bars up and down 111 th street

Don't come looking for blood MC it's a rare time for someone to gloat I have friends who are Carmel guys who see it completely different

My thought on that story, and I believe all of it, is the same on any other sporting events. Parents ruin it. Kids are competitive enough, they would rather her continue on, than win by basically cheating.

Maybe that's why I like those old matches so much from the early 80's, like Nelson was referencing. I was a kid watching other kids wrestling, and enjoying the moment, and not emotionally involved to the extent of needing police control. For all of the goods things that sports offers, it sure is hard to find the leadership of the adults to back it up.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.