Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low dribble View Post
My thought on that story, and I believe all of it, is the same on any other sporting events. Parents ruin it. Kids are competitive enough, they would rather her continue on, than win by basically cheating.

Maybe that's why I like those old matches so much from the early 80's, like Nelson was referencing. I was a kid watching other kids wrestling, and enjoying the moment, and not emotionally involved to the extent of needing police control. For all of the goods things that sports offers, it sure is hard to find the leadership of the adults to back it up.
I agree parents do often ruin the day and take the losses harder than the athletes and act completely irrational.....i rememember all the tension and as a youngster the language i was hearing from adults but in this case i t did not ruin the event or did parents determe the outcome but what really added fuel to the fire was when Trombetta elected to forfeit .....
For some of those MC seniors that was their last chance to compete in a MC singlet and that is a emotional time for a kid who loves his program on top of all the rest of the fun filled night it was a night to rember for sure
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

That team's goal since day one of the season was to win state. There was nothing to be had once the dual was sealed except expose some of StL's studs to injury. An injury to Bracken, Czajkowski or Lazzara would have been devastating to their chances to win state. Trombetta did the right thing. His goal was to win state. He did what was best for team to achieve that goal. Trombetta had some great teams prior but couldn't get over the hump. There was no way he was risking his best chance for a title to entertain the masses.
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicLeaguer View Post
That team's goal since day one of the season was to win state. There was nothing to be had once the dual was sealed except expose some of StL's studs to injury. An injury to Bracken, Czajkowski or Lazzara would have been devastating to their chances to win state. Trombetta did the right thing. His goal was to win state. He did what was best for team to achieve that goal. Trombetta had some great teams prior but couldn't get over the hump. There was no way he was risking his best chance for a title to entertain the masses.
Bracken and czakowski wrestled I think that night and maybe even Lazzara .....Trombetta forfeited Ringhofer at 171,and at 89???,and lynch at heavyweight ,nobody is saying Trombetta did any thing wrong but that night was about getting out of dodge asap ....
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

My point is to why Trombetta did those things... why take a chance that a kid does something dumb and gets dinged for a team point this costing a tram a trip to state or a state title?

Quick draw- your an amazing historian! Unreal how muchh knowledge you have!
Old 01-12-2017
Olympian

You know what they say about early alheimerzs, but one of us has it. I remember that dual being in the afternoon. I thought Lenny Jankowski was 103 for ST.L. I do know that it was Kurt Kalchbrenner that lost a decision to the "Duck" at 119. Man, Kurt could never beat him, but was always close matches. Vinny was the 125 who weighed in at 130 and bumped to 135 to wrestle Joe. Like you said about 15 seconds in you knew this was a bad idea. Both Kurt and Vinny fell 1 match short of medalling in Champaign. Officer Minet's partner was the late great Beau Walker. Beau was Gary and Mark Bybees' step father. Gary was also a part of that team. Years later he changed his name to Gary Walker. His son Jimmy Walker came to live with Beau half way thru his junior year. Beau would bring him to Vittum practices with Mark and then after a season of freestyle, mostly working out with Eddie Minet he was a starter at Laurence. It is easy to sometimes mix up years when our minds play tricks on us. By the way Trombetta was one of a kind. I know at one point they had a rule that if you forfeited a weight class at any round of the duals you had to fft. that weight the rest of the way thru.
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

Wow would of like to hear the conversation in that squad car I don't know them personally but I know as a kid they were two well respected men in wrestling community minet and Bybee were both studs at ikwf and high school crazy a Laurene dad and a MC dad partners that just adds to the dual story
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
By the way Trombetta was one of a kind. I know at one point they had a rule that if you forfeited a weight class at any round of the duals you had to fft. that weight the rest of the way thru.
No one can argue against that.
Old 01-12-2017
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
I agree parents do often ruin the day and take the losses harder than the athletes and act completely irrational.....i rememember all the tension and as a youngster the language i was hearing from adults but in this case i t did not ruin the event or did parents determe the outcome but what really added fuel to the fire was when Trombetta elected to forfeit .....
For some of those MC seniors that was their last chance to compete in a MC singlet and that is a emotional time for a kid who loves his program on top of all the rest of the fun filled night it was a night to rember for sure
Kind of ironic(and sad) that MC then stole many other seniors last chance to compete for their schools in 1995.

Bo Walker(aka The Mole), also one of a kind.

Had always heard Ralph Ruiz started wrestling as a freshman. True?
Old 01-12-2017
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
Kind of ironic(and sad) that MC then stole many other seniors last chance to compete for their schools in 1995.
I think you mean the IHSA, not MC. Or are you an IHSA apologist?
Old 01-12-2017
Undefeated

Like Quick said, in the 90's, the part of the team that wasn't getting picked up in Harvey was made up of Mt. Greenwood and Beverly kids. The IHSA had about as much chance in court against a bunch of 19th Warders as I did against Joe Williams.
Sponsored Links