Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-12-2017
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
Kind of ironic(and sad) that MC then stole many other seniors last chance to compete for their schools in 1995.

Bo Walker(aka The Mole), also one of a kind.

Had always heard Ralph Ruiz started wrestling as a freshman. True?
7th or 8th grade
Old 01-12-2017
Undefeated

Wow. He was a stud.
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

Cath Leag. You took the words right outa my mouth about Trombetta. Good coach! Thats all i will say.

AC why did they call the late great Beuagard "the mole"?
Old 01-12-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicLeaguer View Post
That team's goal since day one of the season was to win state. There was nothing to be had once the dual was sealed except expose some of StL's studs to injury. An injury to Bracken, Czajkowski or Lazzara would have been devastating to their chances to win state. Trombetta did the right thing. His goal was to win state. He did what was best for team to achieve that goal. Trombetta had some great teams prior but couldn't get over the hump. There was no way he was risking his best chance for a title to entertain the masses.
Your right Trombetta was due for that title but looking at that group on day 1 of practice i think he would of settled for a gurrantee that at the end of the season they would all be standing in front of him

When you mix a bunch of vittum cats with a bunch of mt greenwood mustangs you kknow you will be tough you just hope they dont kill each other by the end of the year ....

Trombetta loyalty to his guys would in this era get him fired .....he never turned guys away or treated you unfair and no question he had to swallow his pride with some Christian Brothers in order to get his guys out of a detention or two but when it was time to wrestle they were all buisness and everyone one of them would drop what they were doing on the spot if Trombetta needed them

Im trying to be brief but when it comes to providence ,vikes or catholic league wrestling im overloaded with useless facts on wrestling and i ramble

Two guys who also deserve credit are Tom Gauger he was the coach that you would use as a buffer when you screwed up and when wrestlers were Deathly afraid Trombetta would find out.... Gaugers role was Trombetta right hand man and i dont think there was a man in the sport who gave so much of his time and dedication to wrestling and just a genuinely good man Gauger was a valuable piece of the puzzle

And on the mats the guy who pushed that team day in and day out in the wrestling room (or in vikings case the cafeteria)and made sure they were constantly challenging themselves was Healy .....great role model in the room and he knew what it took to maintain a level of excellence anf if and when a guys head would swell believe it he would remind you real quick that you were slipping
If laurence would have done the obvious and have him replace Trombetta when he moved on the last 20 or so years would have played out a lot differently and the vikes would a became a powerhouse wrestling school

Lastly as good as that team was and all the talent they had what finally put them over the top was when late in the year Ruis was discovered and brought up to varsity the huge wins he came up with
Old 01-13-2017
hawkeye 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Weber View Post
Cath Leag. You took the words right outa my mouth about Trombetta. Good coach! Thats all i will say.

AC why did they call the late great Beuagard "the mole"?
if you ever met him youd know.
Old 01-13-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-I-am View Post
if you ever met him youd know.
Whether you met Mr. Trombetta the intense coach years ago at St Laurence or at Trighton college or if you met the retired Mr. Trombetta recently you would definitely come away scratching your head asking yourself wow It's been a long time but not exactly how I recall him......great coach even better man ...ok we milked the St Laurence long enough ...let's switch gears give me your best dual team from 85- present....if you can't recall and fill every weight you forfeit that weight in True Trombetta fashion
Old 01-13-2017
Varsity

back to the brackets....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
The following year, 112 was one of my favorites. Ben Morris, Sam Geraci and Sean Bormet finishing 1, 2 and 3 respectively
I agree that was a great bracket too. That was back when the state format was the best. 4 mats of AA 2 mats of A meant you had a better chance of watching the matches you wanted. Now with each class having it's own session, and 6 mats it's too much.

Saturday morning semi's, were then followed by wrestlebacks. Then everyone came back for the final session, and they did all the place matches first, tore down the mats, and set up for the grand march. That's when all the energy would build up for the grand march. IHSA changed it all, and then put in the jumbotron to try and subdue the crowd. Guess the didn't like the glow sticks or something.

Old 01-13-2017
Olympian

Ralph Ruis wrestled 7th grade in the Chicago Park District. Somebody realized how talented he was and he walked into our wrestling room at Vittum his 8th grade year. At LAURENCE he just got better and better and was a finalist as a jr.
Old 01-13-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
Ralph Ruis wrestled 7th grade in the Chicago Park District. Somebody realized how talented he was and he walked into our wrestling room at Vittum his 8th grade year. At LAURENCE he just got better and better and was a finalist as a jr.
I agree 100% .......you can google his state finals match against Keith McCoy and imo the ref gave that match to a Mccoy .....the kid came out of nowhere and immediately started beating the likes of Micah Hey ,Jacob Hey ,a couple one point losses in overtime to Gerdes ....for a kid with less than a ounce of muscle on his entire body he was nasty leg rider and had a sick firemans and a great wrestler

I think Mr.Walker and The Bybees are a big part of him developing as a wrestler and Mr. Walker did a lot for him ....

Did Ralph only place once for some reason im wanting to say he is a multiple finalist?
Old 01-13-2017
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstick View Post
With all joe Cascone success and he was a great wrestler his younger brother had the biggest win by a cascone at st.laurence ...maybe ever in their history......

Who remembers that match when his brother" got the job done"?

I was sitting three feet away!
Sponsored Links