Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-25-2018
Olympian

Should Refs Be Required to Conceal Carry?

To avoid a potential tragedy, should wrestling refs and scoring officials be required to conceal carry handguns? They would have to undergo intensive and costly firearms training and extensive background checks, of course, but I think it may reduce the likelihood of a mass shooting event and help on those occasions when a coach leaves his coach's box to argue a call.

"Step back, Coach! Keep your hands where I can see 'em."

Thoughts on refining this concept? Can we get this implemented before the Big Ten Tournament?
Old 02-26-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
To avoid a potential tragedy, should wrestling refs and scoring officials be required to conceal carry handguns? They would have to undergo intensive and costly firearms training and extensive background checks, of course, but I think it may reduce the likelihood of a mass shooting event and help on those occasions when a coach leaves his coach's box to argue a call.

"Step back, Coach! Keep your hands where I can see 'em."

Thoughts on refining this concept? Can we get this implemented before the Big Ten Tournament?
I think you could provide the same order of protection if you issued them stun guns. Just think of Tom Brands lying on the mat quivering until he pissed himself. Worth the price of admission.
Old 02-26-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
I think you could provide the same order of protection if you issued them stun guns. Just think of Tom Brands lying on the mat quivering until he pissed himself. Worth the price of admission.
I would pay double.
Old 02-26-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
I would pay double.
I would be worried for the crowd! Wouldn't a Brands brother just absorb the energy from a taser and become increasingly herky-jerky like a DC comic book super-villain? That much nervous energy/spazziness would be hard to contain.

You guys raise an important point, though: Coaches.

Aren't they also "teachers" in any strict definition of that term? And, as teachers, shouldn't they also be armed?

And with all the coaches like the Brands brothers, Tom Ryan, Mark Manning and Barry Davis armed, won't we have a Stand Your Ground situation between the refs and the coaches at every Iowa, Ohio State, Nebraska and Wisconsin dual? If I was reffing one of those matches, I'd have to keep one hand on my piece.

The only way to resolve that would be to arm the folks working the concession stand. They would have to undergo costly and time-consuming firearms training and extensive background checks....
Old 03-16-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Tom Brands is not human, the stun from a stun gun only increases his power, I once saw him slam a revolving door. Although I did read once that instead of a gun beneath his pillow, Tom Brands sleeps with a gun between his head and his pillow. What they need at these events and high schools are packs of roaming trained German Shepherd or Malinois mixes (no purebred non-sense). They have much better hearing, get to the scene faster, do not know fear in those situations, do not know the difference between training and the real thing so can be tested, do not mis-fire, can be identified easily by first responders, and are less expensive. I saw a Shepherd at the airport watching a kid act like a jerk, he gave that kid on loud bark and I think cured that kid of idiocy for life. On the red line/South side - they make them wear muzzles, whats with that? Police Dogs know who might need a good bite and they don't need to hang out with the police. And yes, I currently have one...

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 03-16-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2018
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
That just put a GREAT image in my head...

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 03-16-2018
hawkeye 4 life

The all so predictable Illinois Wrestling sucks so let’s hate on Iowa thread. #wishyourteamgaveyoumoretotalkabout
Old 03-17-2018
Olympian

Speaking of refs......is Kevin Tann still reffing?
Old 03-17-2018
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
Tom Brands is not human, the stun from a stun gun only increases his power, I once saw him slam a revolving door. Although I did read once that instead of a gun beneath his pillow, Tom Brands sleeps with a gun between his head and his pillow. What they need at these events and high schools are packs of roaming trained German Shepherd or Malinois mixes (no purebred non-sense). They have much better hearing, get to the scene faster, do not know fear in those situations, do not know the difference between training and the real thing so can be tested, do not mis-fire, can be identified easily by first responders, and are less expensive. I saw a Shepherd at the airport watching a kid act like a jerk, he gave that kid on loud bark and I think cured that kid of idiocy for life. On the red line/South side - they make them wear muzzles, whats with that? Police Dogs know who might need a good bite and they don't need to hang out with the police. And yes, I currently have one...
Ah, it's quite simple...instead of a stun gun you use a real gun and dip the bullets in zombie blood. Then the only question is...will he be a fast zombie like in "28 Days Later", or just another walker as in "The Walking Dead"?

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 03-17-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Ah, it's quite simple...instead of a stun gun you use a real gun and dip the bullets in zombie blood. Then the only question is...will he be a fast zombie like in "28 Days Later", or just another walker as in "The Walking Dead"?
Haha! I used to do a comedy bit about that. Used to be, monsters were pretty easy to avoid. Frankenstein, the Mummy, the Creature from the Black Lagoon. All you had to do was pick up your pace, slightly.

I referenced the Will Smith zombie movie, as that was the first one where you had zombie sprinters. Good stuff!
Sponsored Links