Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-06-2018
Olympian

No at large bids for the Illini

I can't say I am surprised. It's a shame to see Langenderfer's career end that way. Who would have ever thought that he peaked as a freshman. I don't think that is overstating things.

The Illini really needs to hit on the Braunagel brothers and hopefully get something great from Meijia and Mollogusis. Next year is the time to bring in a few top 75 recruits. Poeta will be starting his 2nd full year in his position....would be a great time to hit a homerun on his 2nd recruiting class.
Old 03-06-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post
I can't say I am surprised. It's a shame to see Langenderfer's career end that way. Who would have ever thought that he peaked as a freshman. I don't think that is overstating things.

The Illini really needs to hit on the Braunagel brothers and hopefully get something great from Meijia and Mollogusis. Next year is the time to bring in a few top 75 recruits. Poeta will be starting his 2nd full year in his position....would be a great time to hit a homerun on his 2nd recruiting class.
I agree about Langenderfer. As frustrated as I have been, I actually feel bad for him. I followed his career beginning with his first state championship all the way through 6 years at Illinois. I don't understand what happened.

You are correct about others having to step up, and soon. The Illini need to consistently get at least a top 20 class each year or they will be in danger of falling to the bottom half of the Big 10. Finishing 8th this year was not good, but it's tempered by the fact that they did not have Montalvo or Black the entire year. Poeta needs to kick butt on the recruiting trail right now!
Old 03-06-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson*0.5 View Post

Thanks for the info, Nelson*0. He still goes in the books as an ILLINI and a very exciting wrestler. From what I understand, he gave up his body for the team. It is no fun going to college on an empty stomach. I just wish all his opponents were named Brian Murphy. Dang. I thought the seas had parted for him this year.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 03-07-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
Thanks for the info, Nelson*0. He still goes in the books as an ILLINI and a very exciting wrestler. From what I understand, he gave up his body for the team. It is no fun going to college on an empty stomach. I just wish all his opponents were named Brian Murphy. Dang. I thought the seas had parted for him this year.

GO ILLINI!!!
I do know for a fact Kyle struggled making weight at 149, and it really showed sophomore year. I didn't hear about weight problems with 157?
Old 03-07-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:

GO ILLINI!!!
I was thinking the same thing chief. It takes it's toll on the body to continue to try to make that weight. I'm sure it was hard on him that there was no way imar was moving up and there was no way he was going down to 49.
Old 03-07-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
I do know for a fact Kyle struggled making weight at 149, and it really showed sophomore year. I didn't hear about weight problems with 157?
I was talking about his sophomore year. Although he did lose weight to wrestle his freshman year as well. I wasn't very clear. Sorry!
Old 03-07-2018
Olympian

Quote:
I was talking about his sophomore year. Although he did lose weight to wrestle his freshman year as well. I wasn't very clear. Sorry!
Thanks. You had me confused there. Yes, he definitely cut enough weight Freshman year, I think a little growth spurt came Sophomore year and really struggled.
Sponsored Links