Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 03-12-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Ankle View Post
that's not the answer.
So YOU think the reason for Illinois NOT having a top tier team nationally, not to mention in the Big Ten, is with the town(s) of Champaign(-Urbana) and none of the reasons lie with the fact that the Illini staff cannot secure at least 3, 4 or even 5 of the best high school wrestlers from the state of Illinois every year?

I have been to Champaign, most recently for the 2018 State Championship tournament and I have also been to many of the other Big Ten schools, for football games, hockey games, wrestling meets, camps etc. and I have visited the cities/towns surrounding them and I will say that, while Champaign may not be the nicest of those, it is certainly not even in the bottom half. Every city/town is going to have its nicer areas and its not-so-nicer areas.

For you to blame the city of Champain for the woes of the Illini wrestling team seems, to me, to be very foolish and not willing to face facts - that the coaching staff cannot recruit the talent good enough to drag Illinois out of the cellar. Especially when you consider that the state of Illinois has some of the best wrestlers in the country - every year.

And, if they were able to secure those kids, would they be able to coach them?
I see, and have seen talented kids on the roster.
I see them with the credentials to compete for Big Ten titles, even for spots on the podium at nationals but I don't see them there, year after year.
Like the wrestlers on the roster, I see talent on the coaching staff, but when one of your best coaches, and recruiters, leaves for Iowa, what does that say about the rest of the staff?
Old 03-12-2018

Unfortunately I have to agree with CC. I was hoping for a boost with the hiring of Poeta, but I have not seen it up to this point. Watching from a distance it seems like they have actually regressed from past years. 149, 157, 174, 195, and Hwt have definitely regressed regardless of the wrestler at those weights
Old 03-12-2018
Junior Varsity

can you start by naming any illinois kids out there right now who would be an improvement over what we currently have?
Old 03-12-2018
Varsity

Cassioppi comes to mind
Old 03-12-2018
Junior Varsity

Warner, both Bruckis,
Old 03-12-2018
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Ankle View Post
can you start by naming any illinois kids out there right now who would be an improvement over what we currently have?
I may be in the minority but it seems there is enough talent at U of I for the "build it and they will come" phase of a program.

U of I isn't really a universally cool place for anything except engineering. But it seems they have talented enough guys that they could coach up onto podiums and get the next level of kids interested. Seems like what North Carolina did (of course they have Raleigh and Heels bball also)
Old 03-12-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
Warner, both Bruckis,

Not sure who will take IMar's place in the lineup next year, but Isaiah White would have looked nice.
Old 03-12-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
Warner, both Bruckis,
adding Austin Gomez and Renteria would make it a much better room for the light weights....not to mention Yates, Alber & Madrigal.....you don't have to get them all, but just get SOME of the top guys each year.

throw in woods and lewan & cassioppi next year. These guys are all probably top 20 recruits overall
Old 03-12-2018
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemiwinks31 View Post
adding Austin Gomez and Renteria would make it a much better room for the light weights....not to mention Yates, Alber & Madrigal.....you don't have to get them all, but just get SOME of the top guys each year.

throw in woods and lewan & cassioppi next year. These guys are all probably top 20 recruits overall
No way! Those guys were all top 3-5 weight class recruits. Illinois doesn't, and shouldn't, imo be the go to place for those guys. They needed to take chances on guys like my kid and Ogunsanya, Hartman, Champagne, Early, et al. The 6-15 Midwest area recruits at each weight are where the gold is. They're mostly the same level wrestling wise at the HS level and you're hoping to find the diamond, or other gemstones in the rough you can polish up.

For years I watched Perry in lots of gyms talking to guys he was never going to get while passing by great guys who would love to have talked to him.
Old 03-12-2018
Double stud

Definitely both Bruckis. How they didn't land at least one of them baffles the mind. Unless they were storming after White and Warner at those times. Both, imo, unrealistic targets.

Older Madrigal yes! He's done a great job for ODU at 141 but they did well to land Carr, and he seems to be building a good career. Younger Madrigal prob not. At least not if I were in his shoes.

Not saying they should not go after thw so-called blue chip recruits, but I'd expect my current bread and butter to be the next tier HS wrestler, who experience has shown, can easily develop into top tier colleg wrestlers.

(For Mr. Warner when he comes on here to straighten me out, the opinions stated here are those solely of Red Turban alone and imply no intimate knowledge of anything )

Last edited by Red Turban; 03-12-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links