Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 02-01-2010
Olympian

Good intervention, admin. However, I don't think a disclaimer would be necessary. Let's face it, controversial issues are the lifeblood of this site. People love reading about them and talking about them. That's why they're here. They also know that those of us who blog regularly have our own individual styles when it comes to expressing our opinions.

When controversy is expressed in a manner that people disagree with, they respond...as some have here. If a significant part of the readership were really offended, there would be hundreds of responses. I think the fact that there are relatively few indicates Twist was pretty close to the mark.
Old 02-01-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWrestle View Post
I'm afraid I have to agree here. "Calling out" may not be the right words, but you're definitely lecturing the Marmion coaches.

If the site admins feel they have the right to use the IM front page to admonish a coaching staff or individual, then so be it. I guess that's the nature of free press. But I don't respect it and respectfully ask that it be removed. The AA forum or PM is a more appropriate (and professional) place for this kind of direct intervention in my opinion.

Mick Torres
ILWrestle.com
I respect your opinion and your contribution to Illinois wrestling as a competitor and in what you now do, but I also respectfully disagree. This is a media site, like a newspaper. The event was broadcast for everyone to see and remains in teh public domain. I know this is not professional sports. I take a similar view when people are making comments about kids. They are not professional athletes who make a living from their sport. Coaches, however, are adults and do get paid (albeit not what they are worth). Media report and comment. That is what they do, and that is what Mr. Twister did.
Old 02-01-2010
Wrestling Media

Why is everyone speaking for Marmion....

What is interesting to me is that no one from Marmion coaching staff has said a word about being offended by my piece. In fact I received a note today from a coach on the Marmion staff that says he agrees with what I said in it's entirely. He indicated that Marmion has taken what I and others have said to heart and are learning from the experience.

I will never mince words in my column. That is why I was given the column in the first place. It is the place where I will continue to speak my mind as I stated in my very first column. http://illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2533

I will continue to ask the tough questions that others only think but won't ask. And I will continue to seek the tough answers that some will only give to a select few in the wrestling media. One sure way to avoid controversial comments is to not do controversial things.

I don't think the Marmion coaches are offended therefore I won't change my style. Marmion found me to indicate they had no problem and so can any other coach find me should I decide to write about their programs or actions either negative or positive.

If everything I wrote was politically correct then that would not be me. I must continue to be me. If the day comes when I am asked to be someone other than Andre' Morgan then that will be my last day involved with wrestling.

Consider me the Jay Mariotti of the wrestling media...

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 02-01-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2010
ILWrestle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I respect your opinion and your contribution to Illinois wrestling as a competitor and in what you now do, but I also respectfully disagree. This is a media site, like a newspaper. The event was broadcast for everyone to see and remains in teh public domain. I know this is not professional sports. I take a similar view when people are making comments about kids. They are not professional athletes who make a living from their sport. Coaches, however, are adults and do get paid (albeit not what they are worth). Media report and comment. That is what they do, and that is what Mr. Twister did.
My only concern has to do with "where" it was posted. I am not disagreeing with the article or Twist's responsibility to report and comment for IM. I just don't think it needs to be a lead article along with the otherwise noteworthy wrestling stories of the day. If this is a media site as you say, "like a newspaper," ask yourself, would that type of commentary or editorial opinion be a lead story on the front page? I oversee five school websites and if this was one of my sites, because it singles out a group and an individual in a negative way, I'd ask that it be moved to the inside...where it belongs. We can agree to disagree here and if I'm disagreeing to the standards Admin set forth for you guys, OK. I only commented because I care about IM and its reputation. Many coaches and fans who frequently visit this site, including the hundreds of coaches I speak to every season, depend on IM for its outstanding coverage, rankings and up-to-date tournament and dual results and yet rarely visit the forums because of the trash talking and rumor-monging that appears on the surface to prevail. The article is a direct and personal message to the Marmion staff. Consider how they feel and then ask yourself, should it be on the front page of this newspaper or in the editorial section?
Old 02-01-2010
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILWrestle View Post
My only concern has to do with "where" it was posted. I am not disagreeing with the article or Twist's responsibility to report and comment for IM. I just don't think it needs to be a lead article along with the otherwise noteworthy wrestling stories of the day. If this is a media site as you say, "like a newspaper," ask yourself, would that type of commentary or editorial opinion be a lead story on the front page? I oversee five school websites and if this was one of my sites, because it singles out a group and an individual in a negative way, I'd ask that it be moved to the inside...where it belongs. We can agree to disagree here and if I'm disagreeing to the standards Admin set forth for you guys, OK. I only commented because I care about IM and its reputation. Many coaches and fans who frequently visit this site, including the hundreds of coaches I speak to every season, depend on IM for its outstanding coverage, rankings and up-to-date tournament and dual results and yet rarely visit the forums because of the trash talking and rumor-monging that appears on the surface to prevail. The article is a direct and personal message to the Marmion staff. Consider how they feel and then ask yourself, should it be on the front page of this newspaper or in the editorial section?
They don't have a problem with what is said or where it is placed. The Marmion staff has my contact info and they have contacted me as I stated in my last post. At the risk of sounding vain there are many people that come here to read my blog and other blogs here. As much as regular news stories are a draw so is my blog. That is why I only write when I have something to say. Saturday I had to say something and my blog was the place I had to say it. The beauty of being American is the press can not be censored.

This is really a non issue and as Jaguar said, let's not lose the real message here. That message surely is not where my comments or opinions are placed. If what I write effects how Marmion coaches then I am much more powerful then I should be. And on a final note there are plenty of websites and newspapers that run columns on there front page.
Old 02-01-2010
ILWrestle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
The reaction to Mr. Twister's blog post has been interesting. I don't think I'd have said my piece that way, but let's not get so hung up on the method used to convey the message that we ignore the lesson to be learned.
You bet Rob. Great article Twist! ...And there's huge mutual respect here Mr. D. This site has become the focal point for the entire IL wrestling community and I proudly announce at all the tournaments I run to "please be sure to check Illinois Matmen for up-to-date tournament brackets and coverage." I'm not a media guy, I'm a Technology Director. Without standards, guidelines, publishing rules and most importantly, site administrators, our websites end up looking a lot less like a newspaper and more like a MySpace page. Thanks for all you do...

Mick
Sponsored Links