Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 01-12-2009
Wrestling Media

Final Day Random Thoughts @ National Duals

Well I have returned home from the frozen tundra known as Northern Iowa, too tired to teach other peoples kids today so here are my thoughts on the finals. Let me put in a disclaimer that these are just my opinions, not to be confused with facts, just thoughts that are racing through my head.

Iowa turned out to be unbeatable (congrats) but Cornell almost pulled off the upset...

184...197...close score...possible loss...you could hear a pin drop during certain points from the Iowa crowd...

But when the Iowa crowd decided to cheer it was like being at a Bears game when the defense gets a sack...

I am not sure Cornell had any fans at the dual with Iowa...

Sandwiched in between a 2x national champ and an Olympic Trials Qualifier who's followed by another 2x national champ there was little margin for error for UNO's Mario Morgan at 141 so both wins sparked runs to his team victory...

I thought when Mike Grey (Cornell) ran off the mat after winning, pointed at the Iowa crowd and then blew kisses as he ran by the stands was pretty classless....

Watching the Iowa coaching staff is better at times than watching the matches, they are pretty animated....

In all honesty I came to see Iowa vs Iowa State (besides seeing UNO dominate) and was disapointed it did not happen...

I did not realized until yesterday how balanced Cornell's lineup was ...

Lindenwood's two piece singlet is the ugliest singlet in wrestling...

Nebraska - Omaha turned out to be unbeatable and very comfortable in the #1 in the country spot...

UNO's Cody Garcia (125) and Todd Meneely (157) are the real deal...

Nebraska's Stephen Dwyer is the real deal and was very impressive in his finals place match...

Is there a rule that I don't know about because it seems that college coaches almost never take the refs to the table like they do in h.s. matches...

Northern Iowa was very gracious host and deserve to continue hosting the national Duals...

It would be really nice to see this event turned into a NCAA sanctioned meet...

DIII's Augsburg and Wartburg are two of the toughest, best teams regardless of classification and would give any team matched against them fits...

I could watch Coe's Clayton Rush, Iowa State's Nick Fanthorpe and Tyler Clark wrestle all day long...

Consensus in the stands is that Northwestern's Jake Hebert is the best wrestler in America at this point...

Nebraska - Omaha has the most complete, solid lineup top to bottom in DII and the national title is theirs to lose, not win...

I wonder how many people picked Southern Oregon to upset top ranked Lindenwood in the finals besides their fans...

Never try to go down the steps to your seat once the Iowa fan base gets up to leave, you may never be heard from again...

Iowa State's Jerome Ward seems to still not be right but I can't put my finger on it...

I am still impressed with Iowa's Daniel Dennis and I hope he wins it all...

If Jake Herbert is the best wrestler in the country then Iowa's Brett Metcalf must be 1A...

It is impossible to see all of the teams, matches or wrestlers in the current dual format but it sure is fun to try...

With no disrespect meant to those at the Virginia Duals but the media contingent at the NWCA National Duals makes this the premier dual team championship in America...

While watching the girls wrestle is fun there is something missing, almost like watching girls basketball and realizing in the second quarter that there is no above the rim play and there won't be...

All of the Illinois wrestlers knew each other and they could be seen watching other Illinois wrestlers and probably pulling for them too...

The loss of Donahoe and Jordan will be too much for Nebraska - Lincoln to overcome in order to win a national title...

Being at a meet like this and seeing parents (and wrestlers) that you have seen at various meets the last 15 years makes you realize how long of a journey wrestling has been and how short the road is in the future...

The National Duals are my favorite tournament...

Last edited by admin; 01-12-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links