Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-30-2012
barzagar's Avatar
barzagar barzagar is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lincoln Park
Posts: 611
If you want more excitement then allow people to say things that aren't popular but might be right even though against the grain. This isn't necessarily a knock against the mods because it is a difficult job. However, it seems at times certain things/people/teams/coaches and the material posted about them is moderated differently than others.

Some teams have more posters than others and when something controversial is said on here that they don't like they tend to run to the mods and whine to get things locked. However some teams just don't have posters on here and they are not afforded that same luxury. You know this is true Twist...

Again this isn't a shot at the management team just an observation

Last edited by barzagar; 12-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
  #22  
Old 12-30-2012
MR TWISTER's Avatar
MR TWISTER MR TWISTER is offline
Wrestling Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzagar View Post
If you want more excitement then allow people to say things that aren't popular but might be right even though against the grain. This isn't necessarily a knock against the mods because it is a difficult job. However, it seems at times certain things/people/teams/coaches and the material posted about them is moderated differently than others.

Some teams have more posters than others and when something controversial is said on here that they don't like they tend to run to the mods and whine to get things locked. However some teams just don't have posters on here and they are not afforded that same luxury. You know this is true Twist...

Again this isn't a shot at the management team just an observation
Duly noted...I know I just look for rules violations and believe it or not we tend to let somethings go longer than they should. No poster can get me to lock anything by whining. It either is a violation or it's not.

Yeah I know some teams have more posters than others but it has always been that way. And yes I think everyone has accepted that Montini is in AA but that doesn't or shouldn't stop the discussion...look at how Class A fought to have three classes. They never got off the gas pedal until the IHSA relented.
__________________
  #23  
Old 12-30-2012
MR TWISTER's Avatar
MR TWISTER MR TWISTER is offline
Wrestling Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post
You forgot to mention Lockjaw who held his own in the inflammatory department. Sorry you're bored Twist. Some of us bite our tongues and refuse to elaborate on some topics because we have responsibilities to kids, schools and other coaches. Maybe people have accepted that Montini will dominate AA. What's to argue? There are plenty of topics to watch and discuss. The ugly has been displaced by the informed. The National Enquirer is now Sports Illustrated and Jerry Springer is now Doctor Oz. That's OK with me. I enjoyed the disputes and I like the discussion. I'm better for it.
Good post Greenskin. And yes Lockjaw was in the major leagues of forum inflammatory posters...
__________________
  #24  
Old 12-30-2012
Jaguar's Avatar
Jaguar Jaguar is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzagar View Post
If you want more excitement then allow people to say things that aren't popular but might be right even though against the grain. This isn't necessarily a knock against the mods because it is a difficult job. However, it seems at times certain things/people/teams/coaches and the material posted about them is moderated differently than others.

Some teams have more posters than others and when something controversial is said on here that they don't like they tend to run to the mods and whine to get things locked. However some teams just don't have posters on here and they are not afforded that same luxury. You know this is true Twist...

Again this isn't a shot at the management team just an observation
I don't think we have ever not allowed discussion on controversial topics. The problem occurs because people can't seem to discuss controversial things without a verbal brawl filled with personal attacks. The art of debate is severly lacking. There is no room for personal attacks. Make your point. Let others make their points. Keep it civil.
__________________
"Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."
  #25  
Old 12-30-2012
MR TWISTER's Avatar
MR TWISTER MR TWISTER is offline
Wrestling Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I don't think we have ever not allowed discussion on controversial topics. The problem occurs because people can't seem to discuss controversial things without a verbal brawl filled with personal attacks. The art of debate is severly lacking. There is no room for personal attacks. Make your point. Let others make their points. Keep it civil.
I agree. We always allow talk on controversial topics. I challenge anyone to find one topic that we did not allow or that got deleted with NO FORUM RULE VIOLATED! Well said Jaguar..
__________________
  #26  
Old 12-30-2012
Cubs84's Avatar
Cubs84 Cubs84 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,288
I cant speak for anyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
No...just saying y'all boring....I could care less about my son...he is right here...I could re write the column and take those references to him out and it would still be the same...watch when I do that...lol...I need y'all to spice this forum up...nothing about the current fans, wrestlers or teams is really like it was in the old days. Sorry if the truth hurts....we just had TWO big tournaments, Granite City and the Clash and nothing AT ALL ABOUT THEM IN THE THREADS...LIKE I SAID THE CURRENT GENERATION IS boring....
but I lost a lot of interest when they went to three classes. Loved the Alber/Jimenez match and watching Cortez dominate were great but I used to never miss a dvorak or state meet. Now it is not as great as it used to be. In my opinion.
__________________
There's no I in Lembas.
  #27  
Old 12-30-2012
Cubs84's Avatar
Cubs84 Cubs84 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,288
wow that's fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Your column got me thinking on the growth of Matmen over the years. I just pulled the oldest stats I have for the month of December.

December 2005 - 18,612 unique visitors
December 2012 - 72,344 unique visitors

December 2005 - 10,649,795 hits
December 2012 - 30,051,985 hits

It would be interesting to compare the number of forum posts. I have a feeling there are far more posts now than there were back then, just not as many controversial, off the wall posts.
I wouldn't have guessed that at all!
__________________
There's no I in Lembas.
  #28  
Old 12-30-2012
MR TWISTER's Avatar
MR TWISTER MR TWISTER is offline
Wrestling Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs84 View Post
but I lost a lot of interest when they went to three classes. Loved the Alber/Jimenez match and watching Cortez dominate were great but I used to never miss a dvorak or state meet. Now it is not as great as it used to be. In my opinion.
True...the watered down effect is in full swing...no more giant killers...like who is gonna challenge Montini now that Marmion is gone to where they should be AAA.
__________________
  #29  
Old 12-30-2012
canttouchthis76 canttouchthis76 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Elgin
Posts: 896
Send a message via AIM to canttouchthis76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
Ok the column is re written and still nothing changes.....BORING state of Illinois....sorry...
1. Bring back the lock, greenlantern, extreme cardinal
2. Find a wrestler who is up 2 or more weight classes from last year and ranked top 3
3. Accuse them of steroid use
4. Sneak liquor and glowsticks into assembly hall during state

Problem solved.
  #30  
Old 12-30-2012
Mr. White Mr. White is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs84 View Post
but I lost a lot of interest when they went to three classes. Loved the Alber/Jimenez match and watching Cortez dominate were great but I used to never miss a dvorak or state meet. Now it is not as great as it used to be. In my opinion.
Agreed. The IHSA had it right for 3 years from 05-08. Two classes with a multiplier. That brutal 24 man bracket in AA was always exciting, and Class A is basically unchanged. I will say this, people seemed to pay more attention to Class A before the private school multiplier.

I somewhat see what twist is saying about the forums. I have been on this since 05 and it used to be more exciting around here. I think the presence of more informed posters has led to the decline of the anonymous "colorful characters" who used to frequent the forums. It also seems like it is not as easy to stay anonymous as it once was. The newer, anonymous users are quickly found out by people who pay attention. I think the site is playing to a smarter (or maybe just more mature) crowd now.
__________________

"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time...all you got is life time!"
-Henry Rollins
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.