Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA AAA

Old 02-19-2014
Varsity

2013-2014 IHSA Wrestling Changes?

Last year at this time a thread was started to get suggestions to present to Mr. Craig Anderson for changes to help better wrestling in the IHSA. Will there be a similar interview with Mr. Anderson this year?

If so, what changes would you like to have discussed with him?

I'll start with:

1) Full wrestlebacks in the State Series.
Old 02-19-2014
Four-Time National Champs

Individual state tournament only:

64 regional sites around the state with top four in each weight moving on to sectionals (with 439 wrestling teams in the IHSA this season, that comes out to roughly seven teams per regional)

16 sectional tournaments across Illinois with the top four moving on to state
- 16 man brackets
- Seed the four regional champions on criteria and based, in part, upon Rob Sherrill's info (he and his work are well regarded enough that most folks won't argue)
- Four feeds into one, three into two
- No more "meat grinder" sectionals, though stronger sectionals will continue to exist

One state tournament
- Three day tournament (medal matches only on final day)
- 64 man brackets with double elimination - http://www.erasabletournamentbracket...ed-64-team.pdf
- Seed top eight sectional champs on criteria and based, in part, upon Rob Sherrill's info (he and his work are well regarded enough that most folks won't argue)
- Four feeds into one, three into two
- Top eight place winners earn medals

The idea that A fans might stop attending might be off if more A kids are having the opportunity to qualify and upset some of their larger school counterparts along the way.

For the IHSA this accomplishes a few things:
- "... equitable participation..." - http://www.ihsa.org/AbouttheIHSA/Mis...ntBeliefs.aspx
- 896 qualifiers from all across Illinois (672 in three class system) - see above and it fits for schools' desire to have increased participation.
- "... which results in a single winner of the competition and or event(s)." - http://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms/...ection%201.pdf - fourth paragraph.
119 Academic All-Americans
82 All-Americans
15 National Champions
Four World Team Members
Two Olympians
Old 02-19-2014
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW Coach View Post
Last year at this time a thread was started to get suggestions to present to Mr. Craig Anderson for changes to help better wrestling in the IHSA. Will there be a similar interview with Mr. Anderson this year?

If so, what changes would you like to have discussed with him?

I'll start with:

1) Full wrestlebacks in the State Series.
Yes there will be a 'State of Illinois Wrestling" interview with Mr Anderson. I am not sure when it will be but probably on Friday during the break. stay tuned and feel free to post your questions for him here in this thread. I will check back prior to the interview and pull the best ones for discussion.

Twist
Old 02-19-2014
Olympian

I think it was discussed last year, but I will bring it up again. A change needs to happen with the format of the dual state tournament. My suggestion is to get rid of using the champion from the individual regional. It should be duals the entire way through the tournament. Other bracketed sports like basketball, baseball, or volleyball seed at the sectional level. Why not the same for wrestling?
Old 02-19-2014
Olympian

How will the State Farm Center Renovations change the Individual Tournament. Will more mats be used? How many? Will this allow for the return to a two day tournament? Will it allow for Full Wrestle Backs? Thanks Twist!
Old 02-19-2014
Owner/Webmaster

I believe the plan right now is to not have "traffic cop" commentators for the non-finals rounds since there will be Track Wrestling integration on every feed showing the current match, score, time and what is taking place on the other mats. So, we can grab Craig at some other point and post the video interview on Matmen.
Old 02-19-2014
Crystal Lake

Question for Mr. Anderson: With the technology available today, why not require the logging of the results of each and every varsity match to be made available for public viewing? Trackwrestling comes to mind.
Old 02-19-2014

because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenkid2 View Post
Question for Mr. Anderson: With the technology available today, why not require the logging of the results of each and every varsity match to be made available for public viewing? Trackwrestling comes to mind.
Because wrestling coaches have enough paper work to do so why add another thing. #1 job of a wrestling coach is to make his wrestlers better, not inform the public of his team's stats.
Old 02-19-2014
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger25 View Post
Because wrestling coaches have enough paper work to do so why add another thing. #1 job of a wrestling coach is to make his wrestlers better, not inform the public of his team's stats.
I disagree with that statement. We complain that wrestling doesn't get enough support but Trackwrestling is proving that it is a net positive. When a team sets up trackwrestling for a season, they also put in all the media contacts so after every competition the results automatically get sent to the media. The easier we can make it for the media the easier it is to get more coverage.
Old 02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62kilos View Post
I disagree with that statement. We complain that wrestling doesn't get enough support but Trackwrestling is proving that it is a net positive. When a team sets up trackwrestling for a season, they also put in all the media contacts so after every competition the results automatically get sent to the media. The easier we can make it for the media the easier it is to get more coverage.
Track wrestling doesn't cover most dual meets....the only reason why spectators want more results on line is so they can sit on the internet and waste more of their day while at work...I've never heard the "more exposure" thing before, that's a new one...haha
Sponsored Links