Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Control

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Why are they already using cameras (as noted by the blue lights) in the most problematic areas? A more extensive network gives you at least a chance to follow perps home or to their car. Mask or no mask.

    Why is it police often use whatever private commercial surveillance was in place to assist in police work? Because it works.

    No one is asking anyone to follow any more laws than they already do.

    As for gun violence correlated with drugs and gangs, the crux of that problem is that no one cares enough about those troubled segments to do enough to help them. Let them kill each other is too often the mindset.
    That is an interesting statement. I have never looked at it that way, but you may be right.

    I have a serious question for all involved in the conversation.

    When Gun crime is the topic, Republicans cite statistics about Chicago and Democrats cite statistics about Mass shootings...why is that? They are really two different problems that require two different solutions.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MAL View Post
      I would trust you with a missile launcher. Why don't you trust me with one?

      The purpose of the second amendment was because they needed guns and cannons to send an oppressive King back across the pond.

      A governments natural tendency is to grow and accumulate more power...too much power is dangerous no matter who has it. Any restriction on guns causes a shift in power. A while back I posted a link about Mass shooting committed by governments. All of the worst mass shootings have been committed by governments...the US Government has been guilty of shooting citizens in the past, and I would not trust them in the. future...especially if they had all the guns.

      The second amendment does not have exclusions...if you think it should have exclusions, there is an amendment process.
      Since they opted to try harder, they have stopped 24 people with assault rifles that were threatening a mass shooting - just in the last 2 weeks. These people get the rocket launchers also. We can do what works in other countries, or we can say there is nothing that can be done (except fix all people with misguided loyalties or emotions - not all are crazy, most are just angry) and go with the "we need even more guns - and no limits, even rocket launchers." I could go either way, do what works - or lets really crazy and have just about everyone carry a gun. I like a good party, that sounds good to me as well, if it wasn't for all the kids that would get shot from more accidental shootings. How about we only give guns to people between 25 & 55 that had an A average in school, I assume that group might make less mistakes with a fire arm. The no felony after age 18 thing might be too liberal a cut-off.
      There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MAL View Post
        That is an interesting statement. I have never looked at it that way, but you may be right.

        I have a serious question for all involved in the conversation.

        When Gun crime is the topic, Republicans cite statistics about Chicago and Democrats cite statistics about Mass shootings...why is that? They are really two different problems that require two different solutions.
        Now that is a great post/question . This country has never been more divided except maybe the Civil War. And the media has a ton to do with that. Let’s unwrap that MAL. I will give you a perfect example of biased media. I don’t play the stock market anymore. But CNN does interrupt my phone, from time to time, as the market opens . It is always down when they do that. Is that negative reporting?
        Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by oldpioneer View Post
          Now that is a great post/question . This country has never been more divided except maybe the Civil War. And the media has a ton to do with that. Letís unwrap that MAL. I will give you a perfect example of biased media. I donít play the stock market anymore. But CNN does interrupt my phone, from time to time, as the market opens . It is always down when they do that. Is that negative reporting?
          https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart

          The above site tracks that issue. It lists all of the main media. The main three in the middle (fairest?) according to them (the poll Americans) are USA Today, Wall Street Journal, and the Hill. There were some others - that are less American or newsy etc, and I had never heard of "The Hill". I got the site from Scott Adam's site.
          There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

          Comment


          • [My apologies, Brethren, as I must shorten my Sermon today. For I have an holy appointment with one of the ladies in the choir of the Nongunitarian Church, and, although I would have more time today if I had that new private jet we've talked about, all I have is a Cessna. So, the trip to Miami will take a lot longer. Not cool!]


            BROTHERS AND SISTERS, my Sermon today is entitled, ďAt What Cost?Ē It is more of a question than a sermon, my friends. Every person who has a gun in their home, should ask him- or herself, at what cost? Every person thinking about buying a gun for the first time should ask themselves, at what cost? Every person who intends to keep the guns they have must ask, at what cost?



            From 1989 to 2014, there were 836,290 gun deaths in America. From 1993 to 2011, there were 13,000,000 nonfatal gun victims. These numbers come directly from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the agency that provides information for the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

            I empathize with you, my flock! If I was told that my hobby of cheering on the ILLINI wrestling team was a contributing factor, no matter how small, to the deaths of over 800,000 people (more than died in the Civil War), or it was a tiny factor in 13 million nonfatal gun victims, I would be distraught.

            My lamentations would be heard from hill to dale!

            But I would give up the beloved ILLINI so that others could live. That's what I'm asking you to do. Give up your guns, those metal demon whores, before they cause more grief. Can I get a "No Guns"?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
              [My apologies, Brethren, as I must shorten my Sermon today. For I have an holy appointment with one of the ladies in the choir of the Nongunitarian Church, and, although I would have more time today if I had that new private jet we've talked about, all I have is a Cessna. So, the trip to Miami will take a lot longer. Not cool!]


              BROTHERS AND SISTERS, my Sermon today is entitled, “At What Cost?” It is more of a question than a sermon, my friends. Every person who has a gun in their home, should ask him- or herself, at what cost? Every person thinking about buying a gun for the first time should ask themselves, at what cost? Every person who intends to keep the guns they have must ask, at what cost?
              If you are not going to join in the conversation, your time is better spent with the choir girls.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MAL View Post
                If you are not going to join in the conversation, your time is better spent with the choir girls.
                Dear honorable Chief, Forgive MAL for he knows not what he types. I too have strayed from your teaching last week when I expressed my desire to use a bazooka to kill a squirrel.......but your sermon has made me realize that I merely would have spread my garden into Will County!
                Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

                Comment


                • I wrote a letter to the Viewpoints section of the Oak Park Wednesday Journal after the village mayor Anan wrote a commentary LOADED with inaccuracies. I'll be shocked if they print it.
                  sigpic


                  "On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
                    [My apologies, Brethren, as I must shorten my Sermon today. For I have an holy appointment with one of the ladies in the choir of the Nongunitarian Church, and, although I would have more time today if I had that new private jet we've talked about, all I have is a Cessna. So, the trip to Miami will take a lot longer. Not cool!]


                    BROTHERS AND SISTERS, my Sermon today is entitled, ďAt What Cost?Ē It is more of a question than a sermon, my friends. Every person who has a gun in their home, should ask him- or herself, at what cost? Every person thinking about buying a gun for the first time should ask themselves, at what cost? Every person who intends to keep the guns they have must ask, at what cost?



                    From 1989 to 2014, there were 836,290 gun deaths in America. From 1993 to 2011, there were 13,000,000 nonfatal gun victims. These numbers come directly from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the agency that provides information for the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

                    I empathize with you, my flock! If I was told that my hobby of cheering on the ILLINI wrestling team was a contributing factor, no matter how small, to the deaths of over 800,000 people (more than died in the Civil War), or it was a tiny factor in 13 million nonfatal gun victims, I would be distraught.

                    My lamentations would be heard from hill to dale!

                    But I would give up the beloved ILLINI so that others could live. That's what I'm asking you to do. Give up your guns, those metal demon whores, before they cause more grief. Can I get a "No Guns"?

                    Your posts never lack effort.
                    There are two guys in that zebra costume! Very funny...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by mckbln View Post
                      I wrote a letter to the Viewpoints section of the Oak Park Wednesday Journal after the village mayor Anan wrote a commentary LOADED with inaccuracies. I'll be shocked if they print it.
                      Your next post will be (((10,000))) Make it a good one.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
                        Since they opted to try harder, they have stopped 24 people with assault rifles that were threatening a mass shooting - just in the last 2 weeks. These people get the rocket launchers also. We can do what works in other countries, or we can say there is nothing that can be done (except fix all people with misguided loyalties or emotions - not all are crazy, most are just angry) and go with the "we need even more guns - and no limits, even rocket launchers." I could go either way, do what works - or lets really crazy and have just about everyone carry a gun. I like a good party, that sounds good to me as well, if it wasn't for all the kids that would get shot from more accidental shootings. How about we only give guns to people between 25 & 55 that had an A average in school, I assume that group might make less mistakes with a fire arm. The no felony after age 18 thing might be too liberal a cut-off.
                        It doesn't matter if they are crazy or not. They could be criminally insane or just have a bad case of temporary insanity. The solution to the problem is not just catching them before the act...the solution is what will happen next. Each case should be tried on their own merits, but some of these people should be executed in a very public forum. We need to attach a very severe stigma to the offence of killing another human being.

                        When someone violates someones constitutional rights, they loose their constitutional rights. That is how it is supposed to work...they are no longer allowed to own rocket launchers!!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by oldpioneer View Post
                          Now that is a great post/question . This country has never been more divided except maybe the Civil War. And the media has a ton to do with that. Letís unwrap that MAL. I will give you a perfect example of biased media. I donít play the stock market anymore. But CNN does interrupt my phone, from time to time, as the market opens . It is always down when they do that. Is that negative reporting?
                          I am glad that you excluded the Civil War...I would have called you on that one.

                          Bias is pretty much unavoidable...some might hide it better than others. Some of the people that I listen to would defend Trump if he shot a baby..."that kid was rotten anyway, like Damien" I still have my default settings, but it's a lot easier to hear the spin when Trump is the person that they are defending. All of the life long fiscal conservatives have gone silent now that Trump is the one spending the money.

                          Bias and division are a kinda hard topic to get started on, because every thing that I want to say is divisive. There is no question that Trump gets almost all negative press from the main stream media, but I would contend that it is not just Trump. The only Republican that gets good press is the one that bashes Republicans...but I am not in new territory here...what am I missing?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
                            https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart

                            The above site tracks that issue. It lists all of the main media. The main three in the middle (fairest?) according to them (the poll Americans) are USA Today, Wall Street Journal, and the Hill. There were some others - that are less American or newsy etc, and I had never heard of "The Hill". I got the site from Scott Adam's site.
                            I think that site forgot to rank themselves. I don't watch FOX but I think it is fair to say that they are opinion based, But the one that stands out to me as BS is NPR they never have anything pro Republican on the air.

                            For the record there is nothing wrong with opinion based shows, they tend to have more facts in them than the news based shows. The facts are organized and used to make a point.

                            90 percent of the news coverage of Trump is negative, but about half of the country thinks he is doing a good job. I think that illustrates the bias in the media.
                            https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...0aAhaHEALw_wcB

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by MAL View Post
                              I am glad that you excluded the Civil War...I would have called you on that one.

                              Bias is pretty much unavoidable...some might hide it better than others. Some of the people that I listen to would defend Trump if he shot a baby..."that kid was rotten anyway, like Damien" I still have my default settings, but it's a lot easier to hear the spin when Trump is the person that they are defending. All of the life long fiscal conservatives have gone silent now that Trump is the one spending the money.

                              Bias and division are a kinda hard topic to get started on, because every thing that I want to say is divisive. There is no question that Trump gets almost all negative press from the main stream media, but I would contend that it is not just Trump. The only Republican that gets good press is the one that bashes Republicans...but I am not in new territory here...what am I missing?
                              I actually misspoke. The last two days it has popped up on my feed with a green arrow up. I have no idea how that setting happened on my phone. This weekend the president Said he received a phone call from China that said they want to meet. China said they didnít call and they just said that theyíre always open to meet. That is a white lie isnít it?
                              Always support your local wrestling tournament concession stands!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by oldpioneer View Post
                                I actually misspoke. The last two days it has popped up on my feed with a green arrow up. I have no idea how that setting happened on my phone. This weekend the president Said he received a phone call from China that said they want to meet. China said they didnít call and they just said that theyíre always open to meet. That is a white lie isnít it?
                                It could be...I can't guess what is in his head if it was. It could be a negotiating tactic. It could be a white lie from China. It could be media spin. It could be the absolute truth and nobody was lying. If China did say they are open to meet at anytime, it would appear that his statement was successful in bringing them back to the table and/or calming the markets. It seems insignificant anyway you look at it. If you want to break it down we would first need the full unedited footage, because I don't trust your news source.

                                China is Communist country that is approaching superpower status, and they are doing it literally at our expense. If Trump wants to lie to or about them to remedy the trade imbalance, I don't have a problem with that. This is a case of not seeing the forest because all the trees are in the way.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X