• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williams Video from Baku

http://www.d3wrestle.com/?p=118

Comment

Originally posted by legendofandy View Post
      Thanks for posting the videos. Good stuff! Congrats on the new coaching position BTW!
      "Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."

Comment

So the Greco Team qualified 4 weights for the Olympics, winning 3 medals (1 Silver, 2 Bronze), one 5th place finish and a team title.

The FS Team qualified 5 weights for the Olympics, winning 1 medal (Bronze) and getting four 5th place finishes.

So what are peoples thoughts on the USA Men's Teams performances as a whole?

On a side note... Did you guys see that The Russian FS Team qualified all 7 weights, winning 6 Gold Medals and 1 Bronze.
        "When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by BARR View Post
          So the Greco Team qualified 4 weights for the Olympics, winning 3 medals (1 Silver, 2 Bronze), one 5th place finish and a team title.

The FS Team qualified 5 weights for the Olympics, winning 1 medal (Bronze) and getting four 5th place finishes.

On a side note... Did you guys see that The Russian FS Team qualified all 7 weights, winning 6 Gold Medals and 1 Bronze.
          As proud as I am of the USA Greco Team winning their first team Gold Medal, the storyline of this world championships has got to be the total domination of the Russians in freestyle.

The fact still remains that this is the World Championship and not the Olympics. First priority is to qualify weights. In that regard, I thought that the USA teams did well. We've got a little work to do to get some more weights qualified but I'm optimistic of our chances to have full teams qualified for Bejiing.

Everyone will wonder if the Russian team can duplicate this feat next summer. The Russians are probably thinking about what they need to do to improve their one "weak" weight!

Lauden
          "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
            As proud as I am of the USA Greco Team winning their first team Gold Medal, the storyline of this world championships has got to be the total domination of the Russians in freestyle.

The fact still remains that this is the World Championship and not the Olympics. First priority is to qualify weights. In that regard, I thought that the USA teams did well. We've got a little work to do to get some more weights qualified but I'm optimistic of our chances to have full teams qualified for Bejiing.

Everyone will wonder if the Russian team can duplicate this feat next summer. The Russians are probably thinking about what they need to do to improve their one "weak" weight!

Lauden
            Domination???? Is it possible for that to be an understatement? It's sick how good they did. 6 gold medals and 1 bronze. Of the 38 matches they wrestled, they won 37. Of the 81 periods they wrestled, they won 74. They only lost 7 stinking periods the whole tournament. I thought we were closing the gap last year. Their depth is unreal. I remember in '92 when they still had the Unified team competing in the Olympics thinking how great it would be when they were finally dissolved. Their talent would be spread out amongst Georgia, Azerberjian, Ukraine, Armenia, Russia, Uzbekistan, etc., so I thought. And finally, we would be the best in Freestyle in the world every year. All splitting up the Soviet Union has done is developed numerous power house teams with Russia still being the best of the best. We've captured only 2 world titles since the Soviet Union broke aprart - 3 if you include our Greco title this year. Heck, Georgia captured two in '03 alone.

Comment

The Women's FS Team started out with a 5th place finish today, by Steph Murata
              "When I step on the mat I try to score points & entertain the fans". Offensive points scored 2205.. Offensive points against 32.. Never put on his back.. 97 pins.. 24 TF.. 26 MD.. 16 Dec.. 17 FFT.. 2 ID.. 90% of wins by bonus points.. 93% of wins at State by bonus points.. final 115 matches offensively outscored opponents 1472-2.. never taken down in any state series match in IKWF or IHSA.. some say that's not dominating.. some say not a good mat wrestler.. I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by lauden swain View Post
                It is now official. The United States has won the World Greco Roman team title!

http://www.themat.com/index.php?page...rticleID=17180

Lauden
                How does the team scoring work at the world championships?

Comment

Originally posted by BARR View Post

Does that mean that the US can only enter wrestlers at those weights next year?

Comment

Originally posted by BG103 View Post
                    Does that mean that the US can only enter wrestlers at those weights next year?
                    There are more chances for the US to qualify those weights at other tournaments, the 2008 Continental Championships, (2008 Pan-Ams for us-they have to win it to qualify for their country), or one of two Olympic qualifying tourneys, top 4 qualify.
                    Chicks Heart Fights

Comment

Just to have add a lil more detail to your answer. The first olympic qualification tourney qualifies 4, the second qualifies 3.

Regarding the Pan-Ams, you dont necessarily have to win the tournament, you just have to be highest placing non-qualifier. Off the top of my head, guys like Henry Cejudo and TC Dantzler could afford to take second to the Cuban. This is because Cuba has already qualified those weights at the World Championships.

Comment

Working...
                      X