Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible IL DI All Americans this year

Wt Name AWN rank

125: Brandon Precin (12th), Pat Castillo (Ranked at 133)
    Precin improves every single year and has a 50/50 shot, Castillo is a senior but I think will fall short of AA.

133: Jimmy Kennedy (5th), Nick Fanthorpe (11th), Kenny Jordan (UNR), Daniel Dennis (15th), Conor Beebe (20th)
    Kennedy has the best shot out of this group. Fanthorpe and Jordan will meet as many as 3-4x next year which will be a treat for Illinios fans. Dennis and Beebe should both qualify but fall short of AA. This is a VERY young weight class for IL and when all is said and done I can see 6-10 AA's from these 5 wrestlers combined with a pair of national titles.

141: Very weak weight for IL in recent memory.

149: Where is Collum? Okie State last I heard but nothing in recent memory.

157: Mike Poeta (3rd), Jake Murphy (19th)
    Poeta has national champion written all over him. Hopefully this year will be the first of two. Murphy might not qualify for NCAA's out of the big ten.

165: Eric Tannenbaum (2nd), Roger Smith Bergstrud (7th), Stephen Dwyer (11th)
    All three of these wrestlers could AA this year. Dwyer will show a VAST improvement and could surprise many again this year. Tann should be in the finals against Perry and that is a toss up. Bergstrud should AA.

174: Duke Burke (11th), John Dergo (14th)
    I think the weight change will benefit Dergo moreso than Duke, but I can see both of these guys AA'ing this year.

184: Once again very weak weight for IL

197: Mike Tamillow (3rd)
    Should have a good shot at being in the finals. This weight class is very even with the top 7-8 guys anyone could be in the finals on any different day.
    285: What is wrong with IL heavyweights once they leave HS. Football is a great draw but I can't believe there isn't ANYONE in the last 4 years who would be ranked right now.

Overall I think out of this list we can get 6-9 AA's. I can see a possible 4 national champions on this list as well if they come to wrestle at the National Tournament.

Freddie Deramus...what weight is he and can he AA this year?

Comment

Haha, could Freddie ever cut all the way down to 197? MSU has their hwt from last year returning, so I dont think hes the leading candidate to start for them.

Also, I dont know how recent you're talkin about, but Cassio Pero was a pretty decent representative of our state at 141.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire at Will
        Referring to Cassio Pero if by decent you meant SEVERELY underperforming after a fluke AA finish. He was getting nearly majored by division 2 kids as a senior who was ranked. Illinois has not had a high school wrestler in quite some time make a mark at 141.
        If you believe there is such a thing as a "fluke all-american finish" at the Division I level, then you are truly a fool and have no idea what it means to compete at that level. Cassio was tough enough to start on a top-ranked team, get to the NCAA's, and earn a spot on the podium. To attempt to cheapen that accomplishment is pure ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCiezki View Post
          If you believe there is such a thing as a "fluke all-american finish" at the Division I level, then you are truly a fool and have no idea what it means to compete at that level. Cassio was tough enough to start on a top-ranked team, get to the NCAA's, and earn a spot on the podium. To attempt to cheapen that accomplishment is pure ignorance.
          Very well said T. C.

Comment

Cassio had, in my opinion, a very strange career. As a kid wrestler, there were very few better. He was amazingly quick with great hips able to throw from a variety of angles. In high school I believe he was hurt part of the time and did very well, but not like I thought he would. If healthy, I think he would have dominated. In college, he was probably going to see limited action behind Martin, but found himself in the line up after Martin got hurt and he did really well making AA. Then hurt again, and was okay, but certainly not a threat to win it all and a long shot for AA. Every once in a while I would still see the old bursts of energy and quickness I saw when he was a kid, but for the most part he was struggling with the top competition.

Still, Casio will always be a Division 1 AA and that's quite a feat in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by wrestlingnut View Post
              Cassio had, in my opinion, a very strange career. As a kid wrestler, there were very few better. He was amazingly quick with great hips able to throw from a variety of angles. In high school I believe he was hurt part of the time and did very well, but not like I thought he would. If healthy, I think he would have dominated. In college, he was probably going to see limited action behind Martin, but found himself in the line up after Martin got hurt and he did really well making AA. Then hurt again, and was okay, but certainly not a threat to win it all and a long shot for AA. Every once in a while I would still see the old bursts of energy and quickness I saw when he was a kid, but for the most part he was struggling with the top competition.

Still, Casio will always be a Division 1 AA and that's quite a feat in itself.
              It is like being heavyweight boxing champ and then you lose...everyone still calls you "champ". No one can ever take two things from Casio...he was a college wrestling All American at it's highest level and he graduated on time from a Big Ten university.

Comment

What is Fire At Will bitter about?

Somebody's said he won state and everything, but what happened to the guy in college to make him want to piss on everyone elses accomplishments?

Comment

Originally posted by MTC140 View Post

Somebody's said he won state and everything, but what happened to the guy in college to make him want to piss on everyone elses accomplishments?
                  When u find out let me know.

Comment

As far as Michigan St. wrestlers from Illinois John Murphy has a shot to qualify for Nationals.

Comment

Casio P.

Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
                      It is like being heavyweight boxing champ and then you lose...everyone still calls you "champ". No one can ever take two things from Casio...he was a college wrestling All American at it's highest level and he graduated on time from a Big Ten university.
                      Not only a DI All-American (no fluke) but one excellent leader and an even better individual. I'm glad I've had a chance to meet and be around him. He makes everyone else around him a better wrestler/person.
                      Stare into my eyes. Do I look dreamie to you?

Comment

I found out. He was a 3x NCAA qualifier but never placed so he is hating on those that did like Casio. Life is too short for that. Time to move on.

Originally posted by TheSluff View Post
                        As far as Michigan St. wrestlers from Illinois John Murphy has a shot to qualify for Nationals.
                        What weight is John going this year?

Comment

So Fireatwill DNP
                          If you see things differently, that's cool too.

Comment

Aw, well I'm not going to dog on anyone because I haven't done anything yet...I hope to, and that's what I work for...But why hate on somebody who has accomplished something like earning All American status?

Comment

Aw, well I'm not going to dog on anyone because I haven't done anything yet...I hope to, and that's what I work for...But why hate on somebody who has accomplished something like earning All American status?
                              That was an inside joke, it had nothing to do with him not placing.
                              If you see things differently, that's cool too.

Comment

Working...
                              X