Niu/isu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niu/isu

I am watching the NIU/ISU match online from Ames.
    125 - Iowa St (Hanish?) won 2-1 over Wunnike
    133 - Fanthorpe dec Castillo 6-1 (I think....not sure of the final score)
    141 - Gallick dec McLemore 7-3
    149 - Mueller maj dec Knull 12-3
    157 - Sanderson maj dec Owen (not sure of score)

They are at break now....starting with 165 after the 5 min intermission
    Admin says hi, and he misses everyone....he shall return shortly

Iowa State wins 39-4. Only win for NIU was Duke Burke with a major decision.

Comment

HAha...an admin sighting ...I love it....

Comment

Rough start for NIU, but wrestling against a powerhouse like that is never going to make you look good, especially on somewhat of a down year. I thought a lot of the guys came out and fought hard and actually surprised me with the way they competed. It was just a mismatch at most weights.
        After the break, they gave up 2 pins, a tech and a forfeit. (along with a maj dec win)

Comment

So I take it Clark is redshirting since Hanish wrestled. I don't understand the whole redshirting deal. What if ISU signs or has a walk on next year that can beat Clark. Where's that leave him.
          If you see things differently, that's cool too.

Comment

You know, I was quite surprised when Clark was not announced as the wrestler last night. I am not real sure what the situation is. I am guessing Clark would redshirt now, unless he is just a little banged up and they are waiting for him to be 100% healthy before he takes to the mat on the varsity level. Also, maybe they want to give this other guy a shot to see how he pans out, and to see how Clark does in the opens before they pull him out of redshirt. Once hes out, he has to stay outta his redshirt, so maybe they are beaing cautious and will use him only if REALLY needed. As I was thinking about it last night during the 125 lb match, I soon realized that Cael Sanderson probably knows a lot more about the situation and how to handle it then I would know, so I am guessing he is doing whatever is best for his team and for Tyler.

Comment

Gents, Cael & Co. know what they are doing as far as the 125lb situation. If Cael felt like Clark is ready to go than he would have put him out there last night. The season just begun and remember for a true freshman a college season is LONG! (right DPB1) If Cael feels at some point in the season Clark is ready and can contribute to winning a team title than we will see him come out of redshirt and compete. Remember a lot happens behind close doors. Sure he won the wrestle off but a 1 point victory is nothing to pull a guy from redshirting especially this early in the season. Clark will be the clones future for 125 however right now they are fine tuning him up so he is ready to go when the time comes.

As for the dual last night, Cyclones wrestled tough and give credit to some of the NIU guys they came out and wrestled as best as they could. Gallick had a lot of scrambles and the wrestler from NIU did a good job wrestling for 7 minutes. At 174 NIU has a pretty solid guy who can very well AA. About just over 3,000 for fans and still wondering why NIU did not wrestle a guy at 184? Fanthorpe/Castillo-the match was basically controlled by Fanthorpe. Good shots by Fanthorpe and really made Castillo back up the entire match. Have seen Castillo wrestle before and expected a little more out of him. This match was a revenge match for Fanthorpe as he lost to him at the UNO open a few years ago. Just shows Fanthorpe has made improvements as Castillo seems to have stayed the same.

Comment

I agree, I think keeping Clark out for a bit and letting him adjust and everything is a great idea. I dont think Harnich or whatever is going to hurt them too badly early in the season. If they can keep Tyler fresh for the first half of the season and then bring him out if hes ready, it will benefit them in the long run.
                I thought Fanthorpe looked real good. Pat Castillo is a very good wrestler and I dont think I have ever seen him hit for stalling. NIU's 174 is definitely a step up from the guy they had in there last yr , and I think he will have a very solid season.
                They do not have a 184 right now. Linzmeier is not availible until second semester, and McClone is hurt. They might use Wallace at 184 for some duals, but it would not have been a good idea to send him out against Varner. I cant think of the last time NIU had to forfeit a weight class because they didnt have anyone to wrestle.....

Comment

NIU 141 lbs

Is Vince Castillo or Dan Rutegger close to cracking the lineup?

Comment

Wow, NIU had a forfeit...heard from my sources that the team looked a bit young and rough around the edges after the wrestle-off.

It makes sense to me why they would forfeit 84. Wallace at 84 sounds like a decent temporary solution, but not against Varner. It's unfortunate that McClone has had such an injury plauged career. He's a good, hard working kid. Not terribly surprised by the results, thought rthat Fanthorpe/Castillo would've been a lot closer. Duke's the real deal.
                    http://www.video-infinity.com

Comment

Originally posted by DawgeatDawg2 View Post
                      So I take it Clark is redshirting since Hanish wrestled. I don't understand the whole redshirting deal. What if ISU signs or has a walk on next year that can beat Clark. Where's that leave him.
                      In the same boat sitting next to Joe Gomez of Illinois. No spot is guaranteed and college will continue to bring in young wrestlers. Recruiting is the future, not the present. Transfering is the present.

Comment

Bingo. This is the real world of Division 1 athletics. Let the Sanderson bashing begin!
                        http://www.video-infinity.com

Comment

Vince and Rudy are both at 141 - the deepest weight class at NIU (and only deep weight). Ahead of them are Tristen DeShazer and McLemore. These 4 guys are all pretty tough and I am sure they have some close matches in the room. Tomorrow NIU is at the Harold Nichols open, so I am sure at least 2 of these 4 might meet up at some point this weekend. It is a good problem to have - I wish NIU had this same problem from top to bottom

Comment

Originally posted by James_Oliva View Post
                            Bingo. Let the Sanderson bashing begin!
                            Cael...his mother wears army boots! There, what a tongue-lashing.. (and in today's military, what an anachronistic statement ).

Comment

Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
                              In the same boat sitting next to Joe Gomez of Illinois. No spot is guaranteed and college will continue to bring in young wrestlers. Recruiting is the future, not the present. Transfering is the present.
                              So why isn't Clark wrestling this year when he won the wrestle off. I don't get it.
                              If you see things differently, that's cool too.

Comment

Working...
                              X