Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you consider a successful season for Illinois Div I teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fawn Liebowitz
    Vince Lombardi is a great coach but he hasn't done much lately, has he?
    Huh? Vince Lombardi coached professional athletes, not college students. And he may well have been a sociopath... but that's another topic.

We're not interested in the last ten years. The last two are much more important, don't you think?
    Actually quite a few people do care about what's happened over the last ten years, such as the guys who won NCAA titles, became AAs, graduated from college with degrees, those wrestlers' parents, and many fans. Most of those same people also want the current teams to return to the top ten and then vie for a team trophy.

My main concerns are, from most to least important:

(a) that Johnson and crew are a class act, run the program with integrity, and comprehend that the wrestlers are students at a university--check, check, check;

(b) that the team as whole are competitive at the highest levels of Div I--for the most part, check;

(c) that they use an exciting, aggressive, intelligent style of wrestling--ok, I'm not enthralled on the first two of these points; and

(d) that the coaches communicate with fans, market the program to the best of their ability, and clearly let fans know that the coaches consider them (the fans) to be an important part of the program--- well, the coaches get a big fat F on these points.

Comment

Originally posted by Conquistadors View Post
      Huh? Vince Lombardi coached professional athletes, not college students. And he may well have been a sociopath... but that's another topic.

Actually quite a few people do care about what's happened over the last ten years, such as the guys who won NCAA titles, became AAs, graduated from college with degrees, those wrestlers' parents, and many fans. Most of those same people also want the current teams to return to the top ten and then vie for a team trophy.

(a) that Johnson and crew are a class act, run the program with integrity, and comprehend that the wrestlers are students at a university--check, check, check;

(b) that the team as whole are competitive at the highest levels of Div I--for the most part, check;

(c) that they use an exciting, aggressive, intelligent style of wrestling--ok, I'm not enthralled on the first two of these points; and

(d) that the coaches communicate with fans, market the program to the best of their ability, and clearly let fans know that the coaches consider them (the fans) to be an important part of the program--- well, the coaches get a big fat F on these points.
      Lets just let the coaches coach, wrestlers wrestle and the fans be fans. It shouldn't be the coaches that make you go watch the wrestling. If you are a fan you'll go. There's a lot on everones table. I on the other hand believe coach Johnson spoils the true Illiniois fans.
      Stare into my eyes. Do I look dreamie to you?

Comment

First class guy? My roommate told me she met ANOTHER first class guy named "Frank Lymon" well it turns out that wasn't his name at all. She ended up jumping out of a car HALF-NAKED when those ANIMAL friends of his intruded on them!

What was my point again? Oh I know...

I'm a big fan of the program and Coach Johnson too but let's have some accountability too please!

I was watching ESPN the other day in pottery class and Coach Johnson could definitely find his way onto their "Coaches on the Hot Seat" segment. If you can't see that then most likely you're sipping stronger stuff than just orange and blue kool-aid.
        Weren't you in the movie Blues Brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeChoo View Post
          Lets just let the coaches coach, wrestlers wrestle and the fans be fans. It shouldn't be the coaches that make you go watch the wrestling. If you are a fan you'll go. There's a lot on everones table. I on the other hand believe coach Johnson spoils the true Illiniois fans.
          Let's face it. The wrestling community, as a whole, does not market and promote the sport very well. We can all do better. The "true fans" are the diehards with cauliflower ear. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little broader fan base?
          "Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."

Comment

Originally posted by Conquistadors View Post

This is something I absolutely agree with.

(a) You couldn't find a better group of people.

(b) If anyone doesn't call the University of Illinois for the last 10 years "competitive at the highest level", then their standards are a bit too lofty and unreasonable.

(c) This is tough to do. Guys are very difficult to change and once they develop habits, they are what they are. Gable was probably the best of all time with this and he still had quite a few wrestlers that did not wrestle his "style" some or all of the time. I do agree with your point, but just know that it's a LOT harder than it looks. It's not like just running the spread offense and calling pass plays. It's an attitude and those are HARD to change.

(d) This is the one that could be done a lot better. The only retort I have is that 99% of the marketing time/money is spent on football and basketball. It's hard to be everything at once. Coach Ron Zook is a great personality and a great marketer, but I know that he has A LOT of help at the administrative level. Believe me, Coach Zook is not organizing media days and fan appreciation events in his spare time. He may attend them, but he does nothing to prepare them. The wrestling coaches are left to do it themselves, with one S.I.D. assigned. That said, Brian Smith has done an EXCELLENT job at Missouri and people should take notes on his progress. I have TONS of respect for Brian Smith and his Missouri program (it only feels right to call it HIS program as the program was a joke before he arrived, much like the old Illinois program was). If we had more people in wrestling with minds like J Rob and Brian Smith, it'd be much easier sport to follow.

Comment

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! What I don't understand is why would you even WATCH a movie like that? Those boys are like CRIMINALS!

One of the greatest movies on Earth.

Comment

Working...
              X