Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa pulls out of National Duals to wrestle SIUE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iowa pulls out of National Duals to wrestle SIUE

    Iowa's Tom Brands has made the decison to not have the Hawkeye's participate in the 2011 National Duals and will instead wrestle SIUE Jan 7th. Any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by MR TWISTER; 09-25-2010, 05:03 AM.

  • #2
    He will help the SIUE program and give it a boost and he probably feels his team is either not ready to compete for a title at the national duals or it is too tough of a tourney for them to go to and still be able to train effectively for a NCAA title.
    They typically place a huge emphasis on the NCAA's and do not like to have their stock diminished by getting beat anywhere else. A poor showing at the National Duals would tarnish their image as unbeatable.
    Those are my guesses. The only way to really know is for Tom Brands to give his reasons. Whatever they are, I am sure he has thought it thru and feels it is in the best interests of his team.

    Comment


    • #3
      Brands already said he didn't think his team was good enough to compete this year i believe. I would be irate if I were an Iowa fan.

      Comment


      • #4
        it is a motivation tactic. He is challenging his guys saying they havent done anything to earn a invite
        on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

        Comment


        • #5
          Article on the topic

          Interesting article from Jim Brown:

          http://gg121and2.blogspot.com/

          BONUS:

          After you read this article scroll down to the next one, and read about some of the great 'ladies of wrestling' including our own Gail Rush!! [Near the end of the article "Women, Wrestling and Me"].

          Comment


          • #6
            I think Brands probably has his reasons, but I would definitely be upset as an Iowa fan. The UNI-Dome is a cool place to watch all your favorite Iowa teams wrestle some of the best teams in the nation.
            "I don't want to give my opponent the satisfaction of watching me celebrate, which would make it look like a big deal that I beat him."-Brent Metcalf

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by UNIndian0711 View Post
              I think Brands probably has his reasons, but I would definitely be upset as an Iowa fan. The UNI-Dome is a cool place to watch all your favorite Iowa teams wrestle some of the best teams in the nation.
              I agree on UNI-Dome as a cool place to watch wrestling and most definetly has the top teams in the nation there, and i will be working a table again this year so i will have a mat side seat again!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.takedownradio.com/articles/7180

                may all your questions be answered!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yep...all questions answered, but I quote an x Iowa wrestler..."this is against every fiber that is Iowa and it's bulls**t."
                  sigpic
                  Coe College Kohawks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by will-I-am View Post
                    http://www.takedownradio.com/articles/7180

                    may all your questions be answered!
                    Pretty much what im hearing is Iowa is declining invite due to the lack of competition to Iowa standards.... what ever that means! !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by agdfan View Post
                      Yep...all questions answered, but I quote an x Iowa wrestler..."this is against every fiber that is Iowa and it's bulls**t."
                      I'm not saying i support their decision i was adding to the thread in case people missed this interview the first time around

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pirate Pride View Post
                        Pretty much what im hearing is Iowa is declining invite due to the lack of competition to Iowa standards.... what ever that means! !
                        Yeah right (Brands)...well short of the NCAA tournament there is not much better competition than the National Duals. I am not buying the lack of competition to Iowa standards line. If that is the case then why are they wrestling SIUE?

                        It sounds to me like Iowa is not ready compared to Iowa standards. They better win the NCAA's or a lot of people are gonna second guess this decision. Did anyone notice that Iowa is preseason ranked 11th?
                        Last edited by MR TWISTER; 09-25-2010, 05:26 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Getcha game up, then holla at me

                          Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
                          Yeah right (Brands)...well short of the NCAA tournament there is not much better competition than the National Duals. I am not buying the lack of competition to Iowa standards line. If that is the case then why are they wrestling SIUE?

                          It sounds to me like Iowa is not ready compared to Iowa standards. They better win the NCAA's or a lot of people are gonna second guess this decision. Did anyone notice that Iowa is preseason ranked 11th?
                          That's the same reason I've refraimed from entering the last 4 Olympics. (Lack of competition)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I won't lie, I'm an Iowa fan. It does annoy me that they aren't attending the National Duals, even if they aren't the favorite to win it this year. It seems like Brands is protecting his young, inexperienced squad from what could potentially be a very bad weekend for them. However, the real reason everyone is so pissed Iowa isn't going has nothing to do with that. I don't care what anyone says, the only reason people are pissed is because for the first time in several years, their team may actually have a chance to beat Iowa, and they're just angry because they don't get the chance to rub it in Iowa's face all year long...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Is Iowa really not gonna be that good this year? What is their lineup supposed to look like?
                              Win or Die Tryin'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X