Iowa pulls out of National Duals to wrestle SIUE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetsweep22 View Post
    I won't lie, I'm an Iowa fan. It does annoy me that they aren't attending the National Duals, even if they aren't the favorite to win it this year. It seems like Brands is protecting his young, inexperienced squad from what could potentially be a very bad weekend for them. However, the real reason everyone is so pissed Iowa isn't going has nothing to do with that. I don't care what anyone says, the only reason people are pissed is because for the first time in several years, their team may actually have a chance to beat Iowa, and they're just angry because they don't get the chance to rub it in Iowa's face all year long...
    I disagree. Even those of that don't have a dog in the DI fight don't like it. If I were a die-hard Iowa fan I would sure be questioning the core of what's been preached as "Iowa Style". We've had to listen to complaints of Okie State not being there and then Iowa turns around and does the same thing. They have always been known as "in-your-face", "we take on all comers", etc.... Now protecting a young squad just doesn't add up. And it doesn't help in the least that it's in their own back yard. If all teams took that road, or tried to save face, there would be no National Duals.
    sigpic
    Coe College Kohawks

Comment

Did anyone else notice that Iowa isn't going to the Kaufman Brand Open, either? Their only regular season tournament is the Midlands. Looking at their schedule, it looks like most guys on the team, assuming they wrestle at all events, are only going to have about 20 matches or so going into Big 10s. I hope Brands knows what he's doing...

Comment

Originally posted by sweetsweep22 View Post
        Did anyone else notice that Iowa isn't going to the Kaufman Brand Open, either? Their only regular season tournament is the Midlands. Looking at their schedule, it looks like most guys on the team, assuming they wrestle at all events, are only going to have about 20 matches or so going into Big 10s. I hope Brands knows what he's doing...
        I'm sure most will travel "Unattached".

Comment

Sad. I really wish that the NCAA wrestling team title was decided by a dual meet tournment like it is here in Illinois.
          sigpic

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Comment

In the interview brands basically says that he doesnt think that this years team should be invited on last years merit and at some point if they earned it then he would be down. In short he doesn't think his team is currently ready for that type of competition. Is this the iowa style? Probably not, but none of us are in charge of the greatest wrestling program in the nation and know whats best for the team. Like brands or not, you cant argue with his results as a coach thus far.

Comment

either way iowa will place higher than the d1 programs in illinois.
              on my best day I can beat anyone. On my worst day I could beat anyone-gl

Comment

Originally posted by will-I-am View Post
                Probably not, but none of us are in charge of the greatest wrestling program in the nation and know whats best for the team. Like brands or not, you cant argue with his results as a coach thus far.
                I agree with you that Brands knows what he is doing. Not many people HAVE to win like the Brands Bros. He does everything for a reason and that is to win.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Iowa the greatest wrestling program in the nation when Okie State has 34 NCAA team tiles to Iowa's 23.

Lauden
                "It's not the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes"

Comment

Originally posted by will-I-am View Post
                  In the interview brands basically says that he doesnt think that this years team should be invited on last years merit and at some point if they earned it then he would be down. In short he doesn't think his team is currently ready for that type of competition. Is this the iowa style? Probably not, but none of us are in charge of the greatest wrestling program in the nation and know whats best for the team. Like brands or not, you cant argue with his results as a coach thus far.
                  It smacks of the attitude some kids have until they grow up, which is: "if I can't win, I'm not playing."
                  "Boys freestyle. Real men Greco."

Comment

I think it is worse

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                    It smacks of the attitude some kids have until they grow up, which is: "if I can't win, I'm not playing."
                    It sounds to me like he does not think his wrestlers can even place, so let's not given them the opportunity to prove themselves. Every year there are unseeded or lower seeded teams that surprise. I think he is worried of being embarrassed on a big stage. Not exactly the message I would want to hear from my coach. I personally would rather see them go and do their thing. I am sure they would do better than he thinks.

Comment

This discussion got heated up again on another thread so I figured I would pull it up and you guys could discuss it here.

Comment

Working...
                      X