5 Early Season Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Early Season Observations

1. What a difference a year makes at U of I. Just 1 year ago people were talking about how long will Heffernan last and will the Illini ever get their act together and now we are mad they missed an opportunity to beat #1 and we think we might get 4/5 AAs! Quite a turnaround. Northwestern is holding as a top 20 team, but their recruiting gives Illinois natives hope that they will soon be a top 5 team.

2. 7 months ago EVERYONE was talking PSU dynasty. But the President of PSU just announced the other day they are going to rethink the role that sports plays at the school. Ouch. I'm not even going to get into the imploding the wrestling team did over the past 5 months. I know they have recently done ok with recruits but long term-I think not.

3. Both Coe and Cornell are top ranked D3 schools. Both schools have some Illinois talent. But after Clayton Rushs National title ,one would think both schools assistant coaches would be living in Illinois to gobble up even more talent. With abundant talent so relatively close , if either school can nail down a few more great recruits we could see a D3 team champion heavily aided by Illinois natives.

4.The UNO saga has a happy ending with Maryville already a top 20 ranked team. Look for this school to be top 5 soon. Between Twist recruiting on the boards and Mario talking to recruits in person, the proximity to Illinois talent, the committment to wrestling ,tradition,coaching,....it will only get better.

5. Missing talent. Can we get a straight story on Bennefiel? Is Morrison back as a starter? Didn't Kenny Jordan have another year left? Whats the scoop on Rasche and Saunders? Theres possibly another 5 AAs that are Illinois natives.
    Last edited by tilt; 12-13-2011, 04:03 AM.

Originally posted by tilt View Post
    5. Missing talent Is Morrison back as a starter?
    He wrestled against OU yesterday.
    http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage...d-Patterson-OU

Comment

Honored to be mentioned ...

As a knowledgebale poster you seem to be spot on with this post tilt. Maryville has two Illinois wrestlers on their roster, Joey Morehouse (Marengo) and Dimitri Willis (Montini). Morehouse will start this year and Willis has a chance to start. Either way both will play a large role in formulating the future of the Maryville program. Illinois will play a piviotal role in this future powerhouses plans. Yes tilt Illinois will be recruited by Coach Denney and primarily by Mario. Wrestlers that want all of the things that tilt listed should pay attention to Maryville.

Clayton Rush just like Mario, has signed on to coach following his national championship career so you got to believe he too will recruit Illinois talent.. There is definetely enough talent to go around for all of the non DI programs to build off of.

On the mention of Kenny Jordan, yes he does have this year of NCAA eligibility left. However he has left the program at Adams State and can now only wrestle in the NAIA. We may need to call Leroy Jethro Gibbs and his NCIS team to find Mike Benefiel and really know what is going on. Let Gibbs interview John Smith and he will get some real answers.

The PSU situation is like the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. So beautiful at first it is now crumbling at our feet. We are literally watching sports history unfold.
      Last edited by MR TWISTER; 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

3. Both Coe and Cornell are top ranked D3 schools. Both schools have some Illinois talent. But after Clayton Rushs National title ,one would think both schools assistant coaches would be living in Illinois to gobble up even more talent. With abundant talent so relatively close , if either school can nail down a few more great recruits we could see a D3 team champion heavily aided by Illinois natives.
        Why not promote the IL D3 schools rather than the Iowa ones? There are a few well-ranked schools right here in IL. Granted, they are not top 10--yet--but they could be if the home-grown talent were to stay in state. The latest NWCA team ranking puts Elmhurst at 12th and North Central at 17th. Augustana also makes the ranking at 27th.

Why should Coe and Cornell be prefered on the IL matmen site?

Comment

Overall great post and very interesting. I watched Morrison wrestle Oklahoma on ESPNU the other day. First dual of the season I have seen on the network, and had two powerhouse teams. As far as the whole PSU siatuation, take this year for example, shows you how big of a difference one guy can make in a lineup from a dual and tournament aspect. Obviously i'm speaking of Long because the lower weights are where they're weaker, but will improve. That took balance out of their lineup, and I think it took them out of the running for a title this year. But, we will have to wait and see if Sanderson-team pulls any heroics off during the season.
          Last edited by Formerwrestler; 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

yes,but

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
            is he now the starter again or was he in the lineup because of the particular match up?. I read that he lost a close wrestle off, but never read where they wrestled off again or met in a tournament with Morrison taking back over the starting spot.

Comment

Denny and the Romans

Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post
              As a knowledgebale poster you seem to be spot on with this post tilt. Maryville has two Illinois wrestlers on their roster, Joey Morehouse (Marengo) and Dimitri Willis (Montini). Morehouse will start this year and Willis has a chance to start. Either way both will play a large role in formulating the future of the Maryville program. Illinois will play a piviotal role in this future powerhouses plans. Yes tilt Illinois will be recruited by Coach Denney and primarily by Mario. Wrestlers that want all of the things that tilt listed should pay attention to Maryville.

Clayton Rush just like Mario, has signed on to coach following his national championship career so you got to believe he too will recruit Illinois talent.. There is definetely enough talent to go around for all of the non DI programs to build off of.

On the mention of Kenny Jordan, yes he does have this year of NCAA eligibility left. However he has left the program at Adams State and can now only wrestle in the NAIA. We may need to call Leroy Jethro Gibbs and his NCIS team to find Mike Benefiel and really know what is going on. Let Gibbs interview John Smith and he will get some real answers.

The PSU situation is like the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. So beautiful at first it is now crumbling at our feet. We are literally watching sports history unfold.
              I give Denny two years and they will be top 5 again. Mario is the perfect guy to visit with an Illinois state runnerup not getting as much love as the state champ from D1s and tell that guy he has a home for him where he will be appreciated and get better as a wrestler.

I like the Roman analogy of PSU. I have said it many times that I really like Cael but if he has 1 more kid mess up on his watch ,mark my words they will obliterate that program. There is great attention on student athletes and moral coaches right now and people are just itching to make a statement about how things will be run from now on.

Comment

is he now the starter again or was he in the lineup because of the particular match up?. I read that he lost a close wrestle off, but never read where they wrestled off again or met in a tournament with Morrison taking back over the starting spot.
                That I don't know.

Comment

point well taken,but

Originally posted by KJA View Post
                  Why not promote the IL D3 schools rather than the Iowa ones? There are a few well-ranked schools right here in IL. Granted, they are not top 10--yet--but they could be if the home-grown talent were to stay in state. The latest NWCA team ranking puts Elmhurst at 12th and North Central at 17th. Augustana also makes the ranking at 27th.

Why should Coe and Cornell be prefered on the IL matmen site?
                  Coe and Cornell are top 5 right NOW. So they have the best chance to become National Champs with just a couple more Illinois studs.

Comment

yep dead on

Originally posted by Formerwrestler View Post
                    Overall great post and very interesting. I watched Morrison wrestle Oklahoma on ESPNU the other day. First dual of the season I have seen on the network, and had two powerhouse teams. As far as the whole PSU siatuation, take this year for example, shows you how big of a difference one guy can make in a lineup from a dual and tournament aspect. Obviously i'm speaking of Long because the lower weights are where they're weaker, but will improve. That took balance out of their lineup, and I think it took them out of the running for a title this year. But, we will have to wait and see if Sanderson-team pulls any heroics off during the season.
                    At College with only 10 weights any hole is amplied . For PSU its a 9 point swing against teams that last year were within 6 points of beating them.

Its really a lesson to coaches NOT to take a shortcut and go with troublemakers to do well 1 year. Because you could also be losing recruits at and around that weight that may set you back for years. I wonder aloud if a kid like Trsitis would have been looking harder at PSU last year if not for Long being there?

Comment

NCIS reporting

Originally posted by MR TWISTER View Post

From some reliable sources, I don't think his not wrestling this year at OSU has that much to do with any blow out with Smith or Smith not liking him,.....but rather I think it has more to do with injuries and missed coursework. Maybe its not too late for him to help a D3 contender in need of a 184?

Comment

Heard Kenny might be hanging up the shoes and putting on the gloves to get back in the cage.

Comment

Hmm...

Coe and Cornell are top 5 right NOW. So they have the best chance to become National Champs with just a couple more Illinois studs.

Um, did Wartburg drop their wrestling program? (Sorry about the sarcasm) but... Coe and Cornell can't win their conference let alone the National Championship even with a few more IL studs unless Wartburg falls off of a cliff! They have won every conference championship since 1993! They are not going anywhere and if you have seen the conference tournament lately number 2 isn't even close.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

hmmmm....

Originally posted by Shoulda_Woulda_Coulda View Post
                            Um, did Wartburg drop their wrestling program? (Sorry about the sarcasm) but... Coe and Cornell can't win their conference let alone the National Championship even with a few more IL studs unless Wartburg falls off of a cliff! They have won every conference championship since 1993! They are not going anywhere and if you have seen the conference tournament lately number 2 isn't even close.

Just my 2 cents.
                            Coe has given Wartburg great duals. Check out the footsweep by Rush in the first few seconds of this video.

► 8:10► 8:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIL1suTAsTo

Comment

Coe has given Wartburg great duals. Check out the footsweep by Rush in the first few seconds of this video.

► 8:10► 8:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIL1suTAsTo
                              Cameraman almost missed the footsweep...

Comment

Working...
                              X